Have You Ever Had Problems With Hi-md Discs?

Rate this topic

Skradgee

What sort of problems, if any, have you ever had with Hi-MD Discs?  

1. 1. What sort of problems, if any, have you ever had with Hi-MD Discs?

• Yes. I have experieced gaps of silence in my recordings, or frequently receive errors when recording with Hi-MD discs.
    • No. I have not experienced problems like this, and do not frequently receive errors with Hi-MD discs.

My reason for this poll is simple. I would like to know, from as many Hi-MD users as possible, if they have frequently experienced problems recording with Hi-MD discs.

I have not experienced any of these problems recording in Hi-MD mode with Standard MDs.

I think it's important to draw attention to this issue since Hi-MD seems to be somewhat buggy and still fairly new. My recordings on Hi-MD discs have failed on more than one occasion. Others have experienced problems like this as well.

Please share your thoughts and ideas. Thanks.

I voted that I am not getting errors, but I must also account for the fact that I do not record audio, and have only used a few discs for transferring audio to.

I have actually used HiMD discs for data more than music. Occasionally when I plug my unit into the PC, and insert a disc, the player displays some format error, then it goes away, and the PC accesses the disc normally.

Occasionally when I plug my unit into the PC, and insert a disc, the player displays some format error, then it goes away, and the PC accesses the disc normally.

That happens, when the HiMD-directory or parts of iton the disc are removed.

Doing a format from the recorder-menue itself (disconnected from PC) solves that. Deletes all other data as well.

This is not a physical defect.

after a bit of hardware troubles at the beginning (but Sony fixed my NH900 biggrin.gif ) never had any troubles again:

- not with Hi-MD discs

- not with MDs (formatted Hi-MD or not)

- not even with SS (wow, knock on wood!)

Greetings, Volta

*edit: I just looked at an old post of myself and it seems that I have had 1 (one) gap in playback... laugh.gif

Edited by The Low Volta

Thanks everyone for all the votes and replies. Perhaps I should have put an "I occasionally have problems with Hi-MD discs' choice in my poll. Maybe there is some misalignment with the optical unit in my recorder. 1GB discs seem to work fine the first time I use them, fresh out of the package. After that, after updating the TOC multiple times, that's when the problems start.

I've had my NH900 for about a month now. I use it to record our 7 piece marimba band practices and performances-very loud. I've now experienced these drop outs on several occasions and on any number of new, standard MD discs. Never ever had this problem with my old R70. My NH900 is from UK although I use it in U.S.

1. I was wondering if it could have anything to do with the music being too loud and causing these gaps-perhaps from overload/spiking-VU too high?

2. One time, I put the MD on the stage and we were jumping around a lot and I wondered if this could cause the gaps?

Anyone have any opinions on either of those possibilities or is the consensus that it is a hardware issue that I need to follow up with Sony?

Thanks.

Kim

I've had my NH900 for about a month now. I use it to record our 7 piece marimba band practices and performances-very loud. I've now experienced these drop outs on several occasions and on any number of new, standard MD discs. Never ever had this problem with my old R70. My NH900 is from UK although I use it in U.S.

1. I was wondering if it could have anything to do with the music being too loud and causing these gaps-perhaps from overload/spiking-VU too high?

2. One time, I put the MD on the stage and we were jumping around a lot and I wondered if this could cause the gaps?

Anyone have any opinions on either of those possibilities or is the consensus that it is a hardware issue that I need to follow up with Sony?

Thanks.

Kim

I think that your problem is with the recorder receiving vibration. Try to left it in a table or something where it doesn't receive any kind of vibration or movementet. You can find a hint about this in the mznh900 manual.

Sebastian