Rm-mc40elk

Rate this topic

sushi

I've been hesitating to buy a 40ELK remote for a while now. The cheapest I can find (ebay) - usually sells for about $70 incl. shipping to Europe. That's a lot of money!

I've read some old threads which are not conclusive but with my 38EL being so unuser friendly I think that it could only be better. I like the 3 line display and the recording volume control.

What do all you 40ELK users think? Is it worth $70??

I use my nh900 daily in the car and I'm starting to get into live recording. Obviously the 40elk seems excellent for taping (if only there were a record button!) and I would like to know if it's a "once you've got it, you can't live without it" remote.

The buttons on the back would appear to counter the backwardness of other Sony remotes.

Could you live without it?

Could you live without it?

It's a quality of life issue...

Yes, I *could* live without it (or, beer), but I have gotten used to having it, so I wouldn't want to be without it (at least with the NH900, that is...what I really want is the RH10).

I scored mine on eBay for less than $70. How much would I have paid for it? I dunno, but I think $70 would have been my limit. Any more than that, and I could have VERY E*A*S*I*L*Y rationalized my way into buying a new RH10 2nd gen. unit with the OLED display, and selling the NH900. I probably should have done that anyway, but, oh well (I have the Spousal Unit to contend with... ph34r.gif ). Have you considered doing that? It seems that between what you could get for your NH900, and what you'd save by not buying the 40ELK, might come close to justifying a new RH10?

And for your money, it still isn't going to make your NH900 the perfect machine. The clearest advantage to me, is being able to monitor and change recording levels in darkness or bad lighting...or for that matter, almost any lighting since the NH900's display is so un-friendly IMHO. The larger display is nice for playback, I guess, but that's way down on my list. You still have to get into the menus on the main unit to set manual recording options.

Thanks smkranz,

I'm not ready for an RH10 yet and what's the point of OLED when the unit is tucked away in it's case or whatnot? I think I would prefer a NH900 with a 40elk than an RH10 with one of those silly braille remotes (or none at all).

$70 is too much for me. I've got the Spousal Unit v1.0 and she doesn't speak "Minidisc". She's been programmed to speak "Real Leather Uppers" and wouldn't understand the budget deficit.

You still have to get into the menus on the main unit to set manual recording options.

Even RH10 users are in the same boat there.

My heart says 'Yay!' but my brain/pocket says 'Nay!'.

It's a quality of life issue...
...shifty.gif

Well, what I should say dry.gif... The mc40elk is the best remote I've experienced among the Sony ones (mc33elu, mc38el and mc37lt) and the Sharp one (DS70's remote). Like I've said before, the jog dial allows you to scroll through the tracks/albums without stopping the playback. Using the mc40elk + NH900 combo doesnt show the recording menu on the remote, and that is the only feature missed for this combo, some members say that the mc40elk + 2nd gen HiMD units combo misses others features but that has not been absolutely confirmed.

The problem for wearing this remote is the same for the all remotes, for instance, when I wear a sport shirt I must clip the remote on my pants pocket to the inside so I dont worry to drop it. For the button shirts the remote can be clipped to the shirt easily and if you use it with headphones of short cable it's even better, Im expecting for my ex71 purchase to arrive cool.gif

p.s. I use adhesive plastic (those for PDA) to protect the mc40elk screen from scratches.

[attachmentid=339][attachmentid=340][attachmentid=341][attachmentid=342]

post-3480-1118100519_thumb.jpg

post-3480-1118100552_thumb.jpg

post-3480-1118100577_thumb.jpg

post-3480-1118100602_thumb.jpg

post-3480-1118100628_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tiesto

Well, what I should say dry.gif... The mc40elk is the best remote I've experienced among the Sony ones (mc33elu, mc38el and mc37lt) and the Sharp one (DS70's remote). Like I've said before, the jog dial allows you to scroll through the tracks/albums without stopping the playback. Using the mc40elk + NH900 combo doesnt show the recording menu on the remote, and that is the only feature missed for this combo, some members say that the mc40elk + 2nd gen HiMD units combo misses others features but that has not been absolutely confirmed.

The problem for wearing this remote is the same for the all remotes, for instance, when I wear a sport shirt I must clip the remote on my pants pocket to the inside so I dont worry to drop it. For the button shirts the remote can be clipped to the shirt easily and if you use it with headphones of short cable it's even better, Im expecting for my ex71 purchase to arrive  cool.gif

p.s. I use adhesive plastic (those for PDA) to protect the mc40elk screen from scratches.

[attachmentid=339][attachmentid=340][attachmentid=341][attachmentid=342]

it looks exactly the same as mc35elk ph34r.gif

even the buttons

The upper one in the photos is the 40ELK.

And I like mine too. If it had the REC-SET menus and a record button it would be perfect. As it is, the ability to check that it's recording, make track marks (P-mode) and monitor levels in the dark is a definite quality-of-life improvement.

Is there a simple remote that at minimum tells Rec/Pause status? I have the RH10 and the only problem is that you can't tell if you're actually recording when the unit is not visible. I recorded 5min of garbage this weekend when I thought I was paused; the opposite--not recording when desired--would have been worse.

Huh. This discussion has just cost me the price of an Rm-mc40elk.

Seriously, thanks for the 'heads-up' - using this I will be able to put my recorder somewhere less visible (and thus less thief-tempting) when doing non-stealth concert recording and just work with the remote. And I can retire the book light.

I dig my 40ELK for the most part, but lately it's been getting funky. At first, it looked like a couple rows/columns of pixels were dead. Now it seems like more than half are on the fritz. It's to the point where sometimes I can't make out what's printed on the screen. I haven't read of anyone else having the problem though, so I think it's probably just a fluke. Aside from that, it's definitely a slick remote.

Got mine and it's very handy- improves ergonomics significantly - but the backlight is the dimmest backlight I've ever seen on anything - much dimmer than the stick remote. I guess it's to save the battery. Should be adjustable. I'll check the FAQ to see if I'm missing something.

Got mine and it's very handy- improves ergonomics significantly - but the backlight is the dimmest backlight I've ever seen on anything - much dimmer than the stick remote.  I guess it's to save the battery.  Should be adjustable.  I'll check the FAQ to see if I'm missing something.

That was quick! Where did you get it from?

The first few weeks with my NH1 I barely used the RM-MC40ELK but the RM-MC11EL from my N1. Why? Since I mainly listen to my MD while riding my bike I found the jog dial on the 11 easier to skip songs or turning the volume up and down. And I think the Display or at least the cable is the wrong way round.

But the last few days I used the 40 because I can't switch groups or use the menu with the 11 and it shows less information (worst: no "1 remain"). It's still not as comfortable as the old one but I'm getting used to it.

I've never been a fan of remotes, too long wires, but I got this remote with my NH1 and as long as I leave the wires bound its all good.

Anyhow, I got it from Amazon UK and it didn't have a screen protector sticker thing on, which i found odd, I usually leave them on for as long as possible.

Is there anyway of making a semi-permanent screen protector?

Is there anyway of making a semi-permanent screen protector?

you can put that plastic film protections that people with palms use to keep the screen without scratches, just cut a little piece an put it in the remotes screen. It's not hard to find them and you can change the plastic many times.

Sebastian

you can put that plastic film protections that people with palms use to keep the screen without scratches, just cut a little piece an put it in the remotes screen. It's not hard to find them and you can change the plastic many times.

Sebastian

Little piece of clear selotape also works wonders --although I don't think the remote scratches very easily in any case unless you have it in a pocket also containing a lot of sharp pointed objects..

If you use selotape use the easily removable variety otherwise you'll never be able to remove it.

I must admit I've hardly used mine with the NH1 - when I'm playing legacy (80 Min LP2 discs) I don't need navigation etc as I know what's on the disc.

However when I'm playing a 1GB HI-MD disc navigation is a real pain without the remote --even doing something simple like navigating to the next group (album) on the unit itself (NH1) without the remote is incredibly fiddly so I'm using it more and more.

In Hi-SP mode I have my recordings in 256 kbs ATRAC3 plus so get between 7 and 8 CD's on a 1GB disc.

If you are using a lower bitrate and hence store more albums / cd's on the unit then you will most definitely need the remote when playing back.

The Backlight however can hardly be called a backlite --it really is quite dim (as others have said --probably to save the battery).

The rec settings are OK -- PCM / HI-SP / HI-LP with a HI-MD or an 80 Min disc formatted to HI-MD.

SP / LP2 / LP4 with a 80 Min legacy disk inserted -- note if you have a brand new 80 Min disc set the recorder to Net-MD if you want to use legacy mode recording. You don't need to change the mode if using a previously used MDLP type disc.

Recording vol is also available via the remote.

Not sure how the remote behaves on the 2nd gen stuff such as RH10 but I know you can't do SP/LP2 /LP4 recordings however via the microphone / line in.

Edited by 1kyle

Ok - I finally gave gave my broker the all clear to move some more of my assets over to Sony.

WOW!

I've no regrets. I've been thru mc11el, mc33l, mc38el hell. Those Tampax shaped things are useless. This is the real thing. This is bullet shaped. This isn't sliced bread - this is extacy with buttons!!! This baby will shoot you dead.

It's probably upside-down for left handers, but who gives a. This has even got the right buttons where you instinctively put your fingers. I hope that Sony fired the guy that made this. I hope that they burned him alive! "Splitter!" Imagine a guy in the Sony MD department actually doing his homework.

I think I'm gonna have to go for a lie down...

biggrin.gifwacko.gifblum.gifbigsmile.gifcheers.gifgood.gifshok.gifshout.gifwhistling.gif