Nh1 V Rh910 V Rh10 As A Voice Recorder!

Rate this topic

smilingcrow

I’m investigating buying a HiMd recorder as a voice recorder. My only hands on experience was with a MZ-NH700 which I disliked from an ergonomic perspective; the jog dial and small screen I found a hassle. Now that the NH1 is at a reasonable price and the 2nd generation units are available, I’m wondering if the ergonomics have been improved to my taste!

After looking at the NH1 user guide it sounds very similar to the NH700 in general operation, except for the fact that it uses an LCD remote as the main control area. Is the NH1 LCD remote any easier to use than working with the NH700s controls?

Is the NH1 more sturdy in construction than the NHx00 series MDs?

As for the RH910 and RH10, they certainly look more user friendly with the larger screens. Are they easier to work with in practice?

I’m only interested in these units as voice recorders, as I have other devices for MP3 playback. I’m also looking at memory card based recorders from Edirol & Marantz, but the MDs size and price makes them worth investigating.

Any help appreciated as it would be nice to get this purchase right first time, without having yet another eBay sale sad.gif

• 2 weeks later...

if this thread is still being monitored........i personally would buy a nh1, but for you i think a rh10 would be great. sturdiness i don't know but i know that the rh10 and rh910 scratches very easily. i think the himds should be sturdy enough. hope this helps.

RH10. It supports AA batteries so you can extend the recording time as long as you like without having to find a mains socket.

The NH1 is also very good but you cant use a battery pack with it so for long recording sessions you will either need spare (and costly) batteries or access to a mains socket & cradle

RH10. It supports AA batteries so you can extend the recording time as long as you like without having to find a mains socket.

The NH1 is also very good but you cant use a battery pack with it so for long recording sessions you will either need spare (and costly) batteries or access to a mains socket & cradle

Depends on what you want to do AFTER you've done your recordings.

Don't worry about Battery times on a NH1 -- Most people aren't making continuous sessions lasting over 14 Hours biggrin.gif --and if you were a PRO you'd probably have two machines in any case.

The NH1 is much more rugged --can also record directly SP/LP2/LP4 which could be important --especially if you have older gear which HAS optical out making it easier to get your Digital recordings into the machine.

Play the SP/LP2/LP4 through the legacy machine and connect Optical out to computer and then record to WAV --no DRM crud !!.

RH10 AFAIK also doesn't have a Line out which might be a bozo even when transferring Analog stuff to a computer.

Note -- HI-MD (HI-SP/HI-LP) can only be played on HI-MD recorders --if you want to play on legacy stuff and there's a HUGE amount of this still around you'll need to record in SP/LP2/LP4 which the RH10 doesn't do.

Ist gen HI-MD IMO was better than 2nd Gen (apart from the nice screen on the RH10.

I'd still go for the NH1 if you can find it --probably get a decent deal on one.

Maybe 3rd Gen units will have all of what we want.

Cheers

-K

Edited by 1kyle

The NH1 is much more rugged --can also record directly SP/LP2/LP4  which could be important --especially if you have older gear which HAS optical out  making it easier to get your Digital recordings into the machine.

Play the SP/LP2/LP4 through the legacy machine and connect Optical out to computer and then record to WAV --no DRM crud

if you upload using USB and save as wav (possible since SS3.0 and before with Marcnet's Hi-MD renderer) it is also a DRM free wav... so no 1st gen needed for that

Ist gen HI-MD IMO was better than 2nd Gen (apart from the nice screen on the RH10.

I do kinda agree with that, but then go for a NH900, which has the extra battery addon, no proprietary stuff (battery, usb-connector, charging cradle)

but I guess any Hi-MD would do

greetings, Volta

if you upload using USB and save as wav (possible since SS3.0 and before with Marcnet's Hi-MD renderer) it is also a DRM free wav... so no 1st gen needed for that

I do kinda agree with that, but then go for a NH900, which has the extra battery addon, no proprietary stuff (battery, usb-connector, charging cradle)

but I guess any Hi)MD would do

greetings, Volta

The NH900 is definitely one to consider --but I just liked the slim design of the NH1 --and the previous Net-MD player the N10 (which had an external connectable battery pack).

USB upload is fine --BUT you can only UPLOAD ONCE --if you do it again it will delete the data off the MD as other posters have testified so be careful if you go this route.

I believe the restriction is only for Digital recordings --Analog stuff --no probs.

If I'm in error here I'm sure somebody will correct the information.

Cheers

-K

Edited by 1kyle

I believe the restriction is only for Digital recordings --Analog stuff --no probs.

almost:

- digital recordings can not be uploaded through USB at all be uploaded, but not converted to wav with SS (thanks Dex) but can be converted to wav with Marcnet's Hi-MD renderer (thanks Veezhun)

- analog recordings (mic in/line in) can be uploaded once. Just physically mark the disc as uploaded or rename the track so you won't attempt to upload it again and thereby erase it. After you've uploaded it (once) and saved it as wav, you can do with the wav whatever you want, including downloading to MD again (so even erasing it won't be disastrous if the upload worked) and all other uploading options (totalrecorder / analog realtime) still are possible if something did go wrong while uploading through USB (since SS 2.3 this happens only very very rarely)

Edited by The Low Volta

Thanks for all the input.

One potential advantage of 2nd generation HiMD recorders, is that the recording level meters are much bigger than on the 1st generation units. For some reason the 1st generation units only used about half of the available screen width to display the recording level meters. Not sure if that results in tangible gains in the field, but it sounds a good thing in my book.

After looking in more depth at the various units, I decided it comes down to personal preference rather than anything more objective. I managed to get a look and handle a NH1 and lost some of my enthusiasm for it. The remote seems to have as many minuses as plusses. Since I see no clear cut winner here I’ll be more influenced by price than I was initially.

Digital recordings can be uploaded but not converted to WAV using SS.

You mean recordings made through 'optical in'? I did not know that...I thought Sony was so paranoid about copying music they even wouldn't allow that. (does this mean that you could record a CD on a NH900 in real SP, upload and put it on a different disc as real SP? I would love to try it, but I don't have anything with optical out tongue.gif )

No, to record in real SP will need the disc in MD format & not Hi-MD format, this will not allow you to transfer the contents to a PC, only Hi-MD discs can be transfered.

darn you're right...I forgot about that part dry.gif (as I have no optical out I never used real SP yet)

PS: I've edited my above statement about digital not being uploadable