What are you listening to right now?

Rate this topic

J.u.n.k.e.r.

This is exactly why I'm gonna start hoarding media and move my portable music listening back to the 80 minute MDs, MDLP at most. Yes, you have to record in real time, but the act of getting new music is much easier now than it was before - a few clicks and it's downloaded. My point is that the music experience is getting too easy, and there is too much choice. It may sound crazy, but since I started using MP3 players my appreciation for music has gone way down, to the point where I preferred listening to the sounds of the street rather than my own music. 20 gigs on an ipod and it was a pain in the arse just deciding WHAT to choose to listen to! Too much choice.

Now when I burn an MD, I'm waiting excitedly like a little child for it to finish, and when I finally get to listen it's very rewarding, and I appreciate the music more and get a lot more out of it (MD forces you to listen to the same things more often, too!)

Music is not about how many songs you can fit in your pocket. It's about how much you get out of each song. MDs have soul, and it shows.

PS. I'm listening to Mew now - "and the glass handed kites". It's a little progressive and demands all of your attention. Gotta listen more before judging..

sorry it took so song to reply - like i can only get on MDCF on one of my 4 PC's - and it's always busy doing jrojects -!!>>!!

i just FINISHED that project a few minutes ago - lol - i would say WAY over 20 ours !! but it is fruitful - i am getting about 80 songs i didn't have - all house-techno and trance - i am in seventh heaven - and the "Work" involved like you said makes it that more FUNNER and more funner-

well - i will cherish these songs forever - and play them on my Zune over and over - well - until the "Next Project" !!

Listening to a Greek band, closest translation of the name is Termites, live album called I Sinavlea, great music, sort of a Greek Pink Floyd/Genesis kind of band

Bob

BTW a youtube link, not on the album, but nice

another BTW, this song is on the album, would love to see them, wonder if they're coming to Little Cayman !

listening ti all my remxes i made and put into my ZUne - this is funner than "Normal" music -

was listening to my Hi-MD900#1 before - though - and still love it - but - i NEVER change the disc in it and sometimes i NEED a variety -

The Zune gives me variety - as long as i stay off Zune Marketplace which aggravates me to no end - You Tube is my main source of music now - and will go "Fishing" for more tonight when the Moon cones up -

i am especially enjoying my remix of Prince's "No News is Good News" - where i took out ALL the Vocals and ended up with this GREAT instrumental piece of art - but some ppl may think of it as nothing -

that's why i live my life laughing at the world and it's sillyness -

LISTENING to this NEW band (Ernie and the Automatics) that played LAST NIGHT in Foxboro- Ma and someone recorded thim and put it on the internet - and this guy/store (which i will not indulge) downloaded it - and played it when i went to his store - i liked it and he made me a fax of it -

these guys are local guys - but one is the Sax player form the Beaver Brown band whech was in the move (mmmm -forgot the movie) - oh -( Eddie and the Cruisers ) -

Ernie is Ernie Bach JR - who owns a car dealer here in Providence area - and is FAMOUS for his and his father's "Come on Dow" radio commercials -

the drummer is from a famous national band and the guitarist - i think is Joe Sambouka - or something like that - yous know - the Famous guy - the great guitarist - the Father of all inventions on the guitar -

maybe i can google them - but - at least i have THE audio of last night's concert already - what a great day -

footnote and i also bought the Rolling stones LIVE (I-Max) DVD for tonight - after Ernie and the automatics - (get it - Automatics - Car Dealer - automatics ??!!) -

this has been a good day - as i am already LISTENING to it - and LOVING it - the sax and gtr solos are AMAZZING !!!!

footnote#2 - you know - now that i think of it - i may have some of the facts mixed up - we DID talk about TWO bands -

LoExCD.png

Edited by rayzray

• 2 weeks later...

Listening to two new ones, Hurricane by Grace Jones, fabulous, this lady is incredible, but why do poseurs like beyonce sell more music than a true talnet and artist like Grace. The othe is zombielicious by Zombie Nation, more fune, but nothing on it like kerncraft 400.

• 3 weeks later...

Listening to the Jimmy Herring Band recorded on 5/10/09 and posted on etree, as are several recent dates by this band. Jazz heavy Greg Osby is part of this tour. I do a lot of downloading at etree, dimeadozen, ect and I have been using the mini disc to listen and decide what to ultimately burn to cdr.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes we have a bit of music in the office when it's quiet. Lately theres been a bit of Michael Buble, Pavarotti, John Legend, Chris Isaak and Van Morrison. In my iRiver at the moment I've been into Breaking Benjamins current album which I'm quite enjoying. Also been back to some Incubus to suit my laid back/relaxed moods of late.

Recording Savage Garden , on the \"NTM\" Sony Mdm-dL1 that came home today for 20 bucks .

Now recording From the Denon Optical out , To the MD Saver Pro SCMS Bypass module -> to the MDS-DL1 direct digital transfer \"Dreams Come True \" one of the few Japanese Groups I actually like . This girl can sing her butt off And got groove as well .

http://www.japan-zone.com/modern/dreams_come_true.shtml

Edited by Guitarfxr

Beethoven Cello Sonata #3 in A major Op. 69, played by Paul Tortelier and Eric Heidsieck.

Recorded to JE-630 (at SP) from the original 1972 LPs, uploaded to PC from MZ-RH1. Noise-reduced the resultant wavefiles using CoolEdit, deleted the .oma's and re-imported to SonicStage as .wav files.

Burned to CD using SonicStage, just to see if it works (usually I use Nero), along with some much lower quality chamber music from SS (Violin sonatas and a piano sonata, some originally recorded at LP2 some at LP4 off the internet), to fill out a second CD.

Copied using MXD-D400 to 74 minute JVC at LP2. Deleted the low quality music and re-burned to the MD directly from SonicStage without conversion. (the LP4 sounded awful upconverted to LP2 by the CD->MD process).

The result is absolutely perfect. I cannot believe how well this technology improves old recordings!

This recording is pretty much a reference for this music. Tortelier even did the whole lot on TV which I remember being fascinated by.

To F.R.E.N.S. " The First Time "

An Album that took the Sony Silver microphone award , and I was in the Studio with them for this recording . *Clarification "In The studio , doesnt mean that I personally recorded them >>>) ( Woulda been nice though !!)

If you havent heard of this group , you owe it to yourself , to check it out .

http://www.smooth-jazz.de/Artists3/Frens.html

:beach:

Edited by Guitarfxr

Windham Hill " Sanctuary " 20 years , 2 cd set that was recorded to MD LP2 mode years ago , Listening for the FIRST time on an MD Deck ..........

I am enjoying this immensely .

51JJPB5R8GL._SS500_.jpg

Always enjoyed the Windham Hill samplers

Bob

Listening to my 80G Zune with my NEW Skullcandy/Skullcrushers with The "Vibrating" sub-sonic sytem/sub-woofer - built in to the headset - and love how it vibrates my head and circulates the blood in my brains - this is a healthy situation !!

footnote#1 - you know - out of my FOUR computers - i can only get on MDCF on only one of them - they others won't let me on your site - am i being punished for being me (rayzray) ??!!

Windham Hill " Sanctuary " 20 years , 2 cd set that was recorded to MD LP2 mode years ago , Listening for the FIRST time on an MD Deck ..........

I am enjoying this immensely .

51JJPB5R8GL._SS500_.jpg

yesss - me (rayzray) also - ENJOY the Windham Hill Samplers - and always try to buy them up her in RI (USA) when i see them -

you are sooooo lucky !!

its it mostly guitar -r keyboards/piano !! or something other than those ??!! (just curious) -

footnote#2 AND - OOPS#1 )) just found it in my CD Index - i DO have it - i will go in the cellar and dig it out - and put it on my Zune for a while - thanks for the thoughts and have a good day !!

Edited by rayzray

Omar Rodregez Lopez's 'Old Money" CD that was given to me by a clerk at the CD store = LOVE it -

Omar is from Mars Volta - i was told by him - and he put out this "Instrumental" album that was rejected by Mars Volta-

i LOVE the chaos in his arrangements - perhaps a bit too much chaos -

footnote#1 - i wonder how this would sound going through my NEW Korg Kaoss Pad (KP3) -

would it be like two negatives becoming a positive - or just DOUBLE the Chaos -

well - anyhows - my new Skullcandy/Skullcrushers really LOVE this music - my head is "Vibrating" -

• 2 weeks later...

I'm listening to The Arctic Monkeys recorded at Glastonbury 2007. It's getting me right in the mood for going to this year's festival next week. I can't wait!! I just hope the weather stays good. I could do without a mud bath :D

QUOTE (the wizard of oz @ Jun 29 2009, 06:44 AM) Bill Evans | The Paris Concert. heart.gif

I haven't listen to that in a while, but the intro on Re: Person I Knew is just exquisite. Quite a unique version of that tune that I never really heard again on other releases.

Siroe, Prince of Persia - Italian Opera (1728) by George Friderick Handel. This was the last opera but one before Handel was forced temporarily out of the Opera business by The Beggar's Opera by John Gay. The latter is acknowledged to be represent the re-birth of English opera, dormant since Purcell a century earlier. Coincidentally, Handel was the director of the Royal Academy of Music, which essentially went bankrupt that year. So he had a pretty rough time. Siroe only ran for a few weeks.

This recording was off the BBC website - here are the details: http://www.handelhouse.org/handel2009/siroe

It sounds great in my car on my new Sony deck driving the MDX-66XLP changer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sunday night's Henry Wood Promenade concert from London's Albert Hall. Handel wrote some 42 operas in his lifetime, roughly 1 per year over an extended period. This one is called Partenope, and has an amazing plot where the Princess Rosmira, disguised as a man, is challenged to a (bare-chested) duel with her former lover.

Handel got a bit desperate after Beggar's Opera, and had to resort to shock tactics to try to get the public back in his theatre.

I am posting the last 10 minutes as an ATRAC3 (LP4) file for anyone interested. I'm sure it needs to be removed at some point, but a snippet like this can hardly excite anyone's ire, especially in a nonstandard compressed format like this.

I hope you will agree with me, even those who wouldn't consider listening to Italian opera in this lifetime, that this is a totally remarkable 10 minutes of listening. Especially since there are about 5500 people present (and totally silent throughout), the majority of them having been standing for the previous 4 hours.

Extract from Partenope

You will need to change the extension to .OMA when you save this, it is NOT a valid ZIP file. However somewhat to my surprise it played perfectly in Windows Media Player (probably something I did following Avrin's directions to enable Atrac3 codec), and for you it will play in Sonic Stage.

I've got the Handel bug too - listening to the recent Op 1 Sonatas set recorded by AAM/Richard Egarr. Sounds fab in glorious MDLP2 through the stereo.

Speaking of Handel has anyone got a copy of The Electronic Messiah by the Canadian Electronic Ensemblr. I bought the LP many many years ago, and it has since disappeared. I would love a copy of that, it is incredible

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Listening to a isc recorded on my NH-800 to listen on my B-10 at work, first is Catalog by Slow Children, a true fan of theirs put together their two albums and some singles into a download, great stuff, President am I, a true classic, go to Slow Children on wikipedia if u are interested, next on the same disc is Procul Harum's first album remastered with extra songs, Loved A Whiter Shade of Pale in 1967, love it now, next disc is a dance music disc called Club Fanatix Maximized 4 real 2009, great euro dance