Sony VAIO Pocket VGF-AP1L Pictorial

Rate this topic

IPB Image

I present to you all my VAIO Pocket VGF-AP1L 40GB portable music player. I acquired this little device last Christmas ... definitely an overdue pictorial. Enjoy the pictures. ;)

The VAIO Pocket

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The Pocket Remote | RM-VSC2 Remote

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Size Comparison | MZ-RH10 and VAIO Pocket

IPB Image

Size Comparison | VAIO Pocket and TDK BitClub

IPB Image

Size Comparison | D-777 and VAIO Pocket

IPB Image

IPB Image

The Pocket Case | VGP-CKP1

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The VAIO Pocket | Part Numbers

* I will update this section by demand.

Internal Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery

* part numbers by region.

JE: A-1070-173-A

US/Canada: A-1088-554-A

EU/Asia-Pacific: A-1088-555-A

IPB Image

The VAIO Pocket | Firmware & Music Move/Music Transfer Update

About this Firmware - 3.0.0.C171:

This new Firmware includes a total of 34 updates, from which some of the key updates are:

• MP3 playback feature which will allow MP3 transfer and playback without transfer to ATRAC

• Possibility to change the screen template. Skin features

NOTE: New skins are included, and you can copy additional skin data files to the "VAIO_Skin" folder.

• Faster performance: high speed scroll function

• New LCD backlight brightness and auto-power off settings

• Gapless play between tracks

• Album and group play enhancements

• Lyrics view

• Demo mode feature

• Various display enhancements

Japanese Firmware Version 3.0.0.C171J: click here.

English Firmware Version 3.0.0.C171F:

click here.

Important Firmware Installation Notes: read here.

About this VAIO Music Move/Music Transfer Update - 1.2.00:

In conjunction with the firmware update: 3.0.0.C171 for the VAIO Pocket, this utility allows you to transfer and play MP3 files,

without conversion, on the VAIO Pocket player.

VAIO Music Move (Japanese) Version 1.2.00: click here.

VAIO Music Transfer (English) Version 1.2.00:

click here.

Important VAIO Music Move/Music Transfer Installation Notes: read here.

Note to NW-HDx and NW-E500x/400x users:

For your convenience, the VAIO Music Move/Music Transfer v.1.1 utility is available for download: here; and its version 1.2 update can be obtain from the links above.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man that is awesome!

I would love 1 of those!

How much did you buy it for?

Is it a new product?

Can it store just music? or anything up to 40gb, but only play back music?

I paid about $300 for the VAIO Pocket last Christmas. It's relatively cheaper now - about $250. If I remember it correctly, the VAIO Pocket was released during June, 2004.

Besides audio support for the following format: WMA, WAV, Mp3, ATRAC3 and ATRAC3+, the VAIO Pocket provides one with the pleasure to view pictures and album jackets via its 2.2in, 320 x 256 QVGA color screen. In addition, you can transfer pictures directly from digital cameras via USB Cable. However, you will need its cradle to do so; which is not as inconvenient as one would think. But I hardly use this feature.

You say it supports - WMA, WAV, Mp3, ATRAC3 and ATRAC3+.. can it actually play back mp3 files? or does all music have to be transfered to the atrac format before being played?

I recon this model looks really nice and neat!

You say it supports - WMA, WAV, Mp3, ATRAC3 and ATRAC3+.. can it actually play back mp3 files? or does all music have to be transfered to the atrac format before being played?

I recon this model looks really nice and neat!

With the release of firmware version 3.0 (December, 2004), the VAIO Pocket allows direct Mp3 transfer and playback; without the need to convert it to ATRAC format.

Very happy that Ishi was the one to create this pictorial wink.gif My photography skills just aren't quite up to par-- he does do the pocket justice-- beautiful pics.

I've had no complaints about the Pocket thus far-- it's actually satisfied me to the point where I use it for everything but at the gym. Sound quality is good, it's small, 40 gigs, awesome screen, easy navigation... the only issue I ever have is if I create a large group, sometimes it can be sluggish listing the entire group. Normal sized groups seem to list just fine though.

I do wish Sony would update the firmware one last time to make playlists a reality. As it is you can create on-the-fly playlists from songs on the unit, but not on the PC. Since you can do it on the unit, it does support playlists... i'd just like to be able to create them in Sonic Stage and give them actual names. But being as this product didn't really take off, I'm skeptical of what kind of treatment it will get with regards to further firmware updates...

At Ishi's request, some thoughtst about mp3 playback. I understand some Sony players don't always handle mp3 playback, especially that of VBR mp3s, very well... whether the audio quality is distorted or what the problem is, I'm not sure.

With the Pocket, I've had no issues playing back mp3s, most all of which are VBR mp3s. Not only do they play back without a hitch (I encode with lame -alt preset standard or alt preset extreme), but they sound excellent-- I was really quite surprised. So from time to time I'll encode an album in mp3 just to get a little more milage out of that 40 gig drive.

Just one reason why I'm so content with the Pocket tongue.gif

I want one now! sad.gif

Can you put movies/videos etc onto it?

And do you have to have SS to transfer the song/movies off the Vaio onto other pc's?

Unfortunately, the VAIO Pocket does not support video playback.

To transfer music, you can use either the Music Move utility (known as VAIO Music Transfer in Europe/USA) or SonicStage. In difference to SonicStage, Music Move is a drag-and-drop utility, which helps facilitate the transfer of music files from your computer to the VAIO Pocket. The utility converts WAV and WMA format files to the ATRAC format and transfers them accordingly to the player. As for Mp3s, it can be transferred in their original format and bit rate.

I know the VAIO can't play back video's, but can it store them?

Say I have a home video I want to show a friend, can I load any kind of file onto the VAIO and just store it on there, and then transfer it over to another pc?

I know the VAIO can't play back video's, but can it store them?

Say I have a home video I want to show a friend, can I load any kind of file onto the VAIO and just store it on there, and then transfer it over to another pc?

Yes, the VAIO Pocket can be used as an external portable HDD; serving as portable media. When the VAIO Pocket is connected to a computer via USB, it is recognized by the computer as a removable hard disk, allowing data read and write.

Yes, the VAIO Pocket can be used as an external portable HDD; serving as portable media. When the VAIO Pocket is connected to a computer via USB, it is recognized by the computer as a removable hard disk, allowing data read and write.

Ahaha very nice! That is what I wanted to know!

The only problem is I don't think this product has been brought out in Australia! ohmy.gifmad.gif I am still looking around for it!

I have found 1 Aussie site saying that is has been discontinued mellow.gif

Went to Sony Central in Sydney, Australia today. This product has never been released in Australia. And it seems it will never be released because "there is no market for it" probably because they know the iPOD would slaughter it? sad.gif

Holy crap Ishi, your pictorial has convinced me. I don't care about the size. The GUI and the screen is so orgasmic... It's mine.

The VAIO Pocket is indeed relatively small; not as big as one would think. smile.gif I hope the size comparison pictures I’ve set up depict its true size accurately.

Went to Sony Central in Sydney, Australia today.  This product has never been released in Australia.  And it seems it will never be released because "there is no market for it" probably because they know the iPOD would slaughter it? sad.gif

That's too bad. Perhaps you could try importing its 20GB version (VGF-AP1) from Singapore? I believe Sony Singapore still stocks them.

Went to Sony Central in Sydney, Australia today.  This product has never been released in Australia.  And it seems it will never be released because "there is no market for it" probably because they know the iPOD would slaughter it? sad.gif

(get somebody in the US to buy one...)

I'll be in the US for three weeks starting 3rd of July, so hopefully all the Vaio Pockets going for $250 won't be snagged away. biggrin.gif Still, $300 from Sonystyle is still quite a steal considering it was over $400 US earlier this year.

can you give a little more info on the sound quality? I've used Creative Zen players for a few years now and I'm pretty spoiled and loyal to them because of the crystal clear sound quality...could you give any idea how the Sony sounds compared to a zen or ipod? Do you have the s/n ratio specs?

can you give a little more info on the sound quality?  I've used Creative Zen players for a few years now and I'm pretty spoiled and loyal to them because of the crystal clear sound quality...could you give any idea how the Sony sounds compared to a zen or ipod?  Do you have the s/n ratio specs?

I owned the iPod only for a few weeks, so I can only give you brief impressions between the VAIO Pocket vs. the iPod in the sound department. In my opinion, the VAIO Pocket seems brighter... more detailed and somewhat fuller than the iPod – its treble appears much more balanced, less distortion compared to the iPod. In any case, the iPod is definitely louder, which implies that the VAIO Pocket has a weaker amp.

Hope that helps.

I'm thinking about buying a Vaio Pocket and I've got a few questions.

First, does the dock need to be plugged into a power outlet if you want to use the features on it (camera transfer, line out, computer transfer)? I ask, because this would sort of defeat the purpose of tranferring directly from my camera, as I can't use the dock in the field.

Also, could you explain how the album art works on the player? Does it read id3 art tags, or do you need to transfer album art as seperate jpgs? All of my mp3s are tagged with album art, so it would suck to not be able to take advantage of that.

Last, can I transfer files off of the player back to my computer?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by alphaex32

I'm thinking about buying a Vaio Pocket and I've got a few questions.

First, does the dock need to be plugged into a power outlet if you want to use the features on it (camera transfer, line out, computer transfer)? I ask, because this would sort of defeat the purpose of tranferring directly from my camera, as I can't use the dock in the field.

Also, could you explain how the album art works on the player? Does it read id3 art tags, or do you need to transfer album art as seperate jpgs? All of my mp3s are tagged with album art, so it would suck to not be able to take advantage of that.

Last, can I transfer files off of the player back to my computer?

Thanks in advance.

Answer to your queries:

--> 1: You can utilize the cradle with the purpose to transfer images from a digital camera to the VAIO Pocket without the need for it to be connected to a power outlet. Just make sure that the VAIO Pocket is charged adequately before you go out into the field.

--> 2: Yes, the VAIO Pocket reads ID3 art tags.

--> 3: Yes, the VAIO Pocket can be used as an external portable HDD; serving as portable media. When the VAIO Pocket is connected to a computer via USB, it is recognized by the computer as a removable hard disk, allowing data read and write.

--> 3: Yes, the VAIO Pocket can be used as an external portable HDD; serving as portable media. When the VAIO Pocket is connected to a computer via USB, it is recognized by the computer as a removable hard disk, allowing data read and write.

Does this mean that I can load mp3s onto it like a mass-storage device, or will it only recognize music that is loaded using sonicstage?

Does this mean that I can load mp3s onto it like a mass-storage device, or will it only recognize music that is loaded using sonicstage?

The VAIO Pocket will only recognize music files for playback purpose that was transferred by either SonicStage or VAIO Music Move/Music Transfer utility.

The VAIO Pocket will only recognize music files for playback purpose that was transferred by either SonicStage or VAIO Music Move/Music Transfer utility.

Alright. I just thought of another question...sorry. Is there a way to rate songs on the player? I know they can be sorted this way, but Im not sure if ratings can actually be changed.

Also, you said that you can transfer files back to your PC, but does that only apply to files transferred using mass-storage? Meaning, could I copy music files back to my PC that were transferred using sonicstage?

Btw, I think I understand how the album art function works. You can view id3 album art, but not browse by it. Am I correct? I was looking at the manual online and it seems that you need to sort songs into groups and assign the group coverart to be able to use that function.

Edited by alphaex32

Alright. I just thought of another question...sorry. Is there a way to rate songs on the player? I know they can be sorted this way, but Im not sure if ratings can actually be changed.

Btw, I think I understand how the album art function works. You can view id3 album art, but not browse by it. Am I correct? I was looking at the manual online and it seems that you need to sort songs into groups and assign the group coverart to be able to use that function.

You can view album covers either by "Jacket" or "Album"; and select your desired albums accordingly from these options.

I believe ratings of songs are assigned according to its playback frequency. I don't believe you can sort ratings manually.

Hey ishi, do you know if the VAIO thing works with the HD3? (I doubt it, but whatever) and where can I download it. (searched w/no result)

Also, you said that you can transfer files back to your PC, but does that only apply to files transferred using mass-storage? Meaning, could I copy music files back to my PC that were transferred using sonicstage?

Yes, this apply for mass-storage purpose; you can still copy music files in a drag-and-drop manner using explorer but you can't playback those files with the VAIO Pocket.

As for music files transferred with SonicStage, you can't transfer them back to the PC.

Ishi - if I could just confim a couple of things as wel thanks tongue.gif

1. The unit can play back for 20 hrs?

2. When the unit is connected to the computer, does it take the electricity form the PC, like MD's? or does it use its battery power up?

3. Can my MD lithium battery go into the Pocket Lithium battery? (i am guessing not, because the MD can only play for 12 hrs.. compared to 20)

4. With the new MD's and mp3, the highest bitrate is 192kb/s I thought i heard, is this the same for the Pocket? or can it have up to 320*kb/s?

5. Does the Pocket custom come with theleather cover and wrist material holder thing :S... or are these xtra accessories?

6. If I took the Pocket to a friends house.. and had previously dragged and droped files into the Pocket, NOT using SS, I would be able to access those drag and dropped files ONLY on my friends PC through Explorer correct?

That's all for now tongue.gif Thak you very much for all your help!

Ishi - if I could just confim a couple of things as wel thanks tongue.gif

1. The unit can play back for 20 hrs?

2. When the unit is connected to the computer, does it take the electricity form the PC, like MD's? or does it use its battery power up?

3.  Can my MD lithium battery go into the Pocket Lithium battery? (i am guessing not, because the MD can only play for 12 hrs.. compared to 20)

4. With the new MD's and mp3, the highest bitrate is 192kb/s I thought i heard, is this the same for the Pocket? or can it have up to 320*kb/s?

5. Does the Pocket custom come with theleather cover and wrist material holder thing :S... or are these xtra accessories?

6. If I took the Pocket to a friends house.. and had previously dragged and droped files into the Pocket, NOT using SS, I would be able to access those drag and dropped files ONLY on my friends PC through Explorer correct?

That's all for now tongue.gif  Thak you very much for all your help!

Heh... sure thing... more queries the merrier it is. happy.gif

Answers:

--> 1) Playback time is relative to one's settings. 20hrs is definitely plausible.

--> 2) Power source: either from AC Adaptor or the lithium-ion rechargeable battery; does not draw power via USB.

--> 3) The VAIO Pocket employs another sort of lithium-ion rechargeable battery; I believe it cost about $51.

--> 4) No problems with Mp3s of 320kbps.

--> 5) The VAIO Pocket case with wrist band shown in my pictorial is an optional accessory.

--> 6) Yes, the VAIO Pocket can be used as an external portable HDD; serving as portable media. Just make sure you bring along its cradle - the VAIO Pocket is dependent to its cradle for USB connection.

Hi Ishi, I joined the forum to find out more about the Sony Vaio Player because I can't really find information on it from someone who actually owns it...my ipod is on it's last thread (or wire) and am willing to try something new. I've heard about the Sony Vaio Pocket player and want to find out more about it. I was just hoping if I can ask you questions about it before I decide to buy it. I'm really sorry for the amount of questions i'm asking you. It's because I've read a lot of mixed reviews about this player (CNET, Amazon) and i'm just skeptical.

1. Are there any problems at all that you have encountered ever since you have purchased it (whether they are minor or major)? I've read that the software that came with it was the big problem, or that it's difficult to use.

2. Is it true that you can view the lyrics of the songs on it (after downloading the updated firmware)? Because this is one of the features that is really attracting me to this player.

3. I listen to a lot of international songs (japanese, chinese, korean, etc.), do the ID3 tags work with these as well? If not, is it easy to manually input/type them in yourself?

4. I've read that it is possible to buy this player now for $250...can you tell me where? I've only seen them for $299 at SonyStyle.

5. Is there a Japanese import version available in the states? Is there a big difference between the Japanese version and the US version?

6. Do the songs skip at all if you shake it or if you go jogging/running with it?

7. Why is this player so cheap? $299 for a 40gb? I feel like there's a catch or

something.

8. Is it possible to make playlists on this player?

I think this is such a beautiful player (definitely after seeing your pictures), and i am just about sold on this product...i just don't want to regret it after I buy it. If you can answer these questions, I greatly appreciate. I'm sorry again for the inconvenience. Thank you so much! biggrin.gif