Bug: Error During Divide Track In Ss 3.1

Rate this topic

corien

Hello.

I took a long (around 80 minutes) recording of our orchestra rehearsal with my MZ-NH1 and a microphone, uploaded it to PC with SS 3.1, and then - after deleting the whole recording on MD - begun dividing the whole track into single tracks, one for every piece we played - with the divide tool in SS 3.1. I had done that many times with other long tracks, with no problems.

This time, after having divided successfully some pieces, I was with the last track - containing the last two pieces - to be divided. After starting to divide it, the divide tool of SS 3.1 gave me an error, something like "error dividing the track...". The odd thing is that now SS refuses to even play it, displaying an error concerning the OMG rights that are not valid (the message is in Italian as my SS is on a Italian OS). I've also tried to convert the track into WAV format from inside SS, but SS says that I cannot do that because only tracks recorded in analogue way can be converted (and mine indeed was, I used a microphone). I've even tried to use Hi-MD renderer to convert the track into WAV, but Hi-MD renderer just does not begin the conversion process and stays forever with the "Please wait..." message on the bottom-right button.

I think this track has been damaged forever by the divide tool - at least, the divide tool has damaged the OMG info in the track. This track was not really important, but I've learned that in the future I cannot trust at 100% the divide tool in SS 3.1, so be careful when using it - I suggest to convert to WAV the original long track before trying to divide it into smaller tracks. I just wanted to share my experience and alert you SS 3.1 users about this bug in SS.

Enrico

EDIT: BTW, any advice about how the damaged track can be recovered is obviously welcome.

Edited by corien

I'm sorry to read this...it's always painful when one has to learn a lesson the hard way sleep.gif

for future times (and for all ppl reading this, who haven't yet thought about it) please read and follow Dex's instructions for totally gapless burning... Don't think that this is not important for you 'cause you don't burn CD's of your recordings, this is also very useful for anyone who wants to keep a decent wav-'master' of the recordings or actually anyone who doesn't like anything to go wrong while uploading...

The first person that has exactly followed these instructions and still messed up the upload has yet to be found

So hopefully this was your last trashed recording...

Greetings, Volta

Volta, thanks for posting a link to those instructions. Yes, that is a slightly different case (joining tracks instead of dividing a long track, as in my case), but the advice of converting to WAV as soon as the track(s) has been uploaded to the PC before any other operation within SS applies in both cases.

Greetings

Enrico

no problem Enrico, glad to help...but I saw you already learned that lesson yourself now (though the hard way, like many before you...me included). I just grabbed the opportunity to promote the correct way of uploading again (as explained very clearly by Dex) so that perhaps others might read it first and not only after they have trashed one (or even much more) recording(s)...

enjoy recording and see you around here on MDCF

Volta

BTW, you don't have to delete the originals off the MD to divide or combine what is in your library on SS since version 3.0. Do yourself a favor and DON"T DELETE the tracks from the source MD when you are editing. You won't be able to upload by USB again but at least you will have a copy to real time record if necessary for a back-up.

BTW, you don't have to delete the originals off the MD to divide or combine what is in your library on SS since version 3.0.  Do yourself a favor and DON"T DELETE the tracks from the source MD when you are editing.  You won't be able to upload by USB again but at least you will have a copy to real time record if necessary for a back-up.

I concur.

BTW, I've noticed that Ss 3.x craps out on uploads of tracks where the unit was jarred or jostled during recording [with both the NH700 and RH10]. SS doesn't delete the track, doesn't damage its DRM info, and still allows playback - just not uploading. As a result I've had to use total recorder to copy a few tracks that this happened with.

BTW, you don't have to delete the originals off the MD to divide or combine what is in your library on SS since version 3.0.  Do yourself a favor and DON"T DELETE the tracks from the source MD when you are editing.  You won't be able to upload by USB again but at least you will have a copy to real time record if necessary for a back-up.

Oh, that's new to me. I was used to the fact that one had to delete tracks on MD in order to edit them in SS. Thank you for the good news.