Must Hear Internet Radio/podcasts

Rate this topic

The Low Volta

I was just listening to a 1gig disc with 8 (4x2) hours of a Belgian radio show taped from the livestream with Audacity... and I thought, I can't be the only one doing this! So come on, share your must hear radio shows (that can be re-listened on/taped from the internet) or podcasts or whatever turns you to taping the net... I'll kick this one off with a plea for "Duyster"

This is a 2 hour weekly radio show that is broadcast each Sunday (from 10pm-12pm CET) called "Duyster" (named after the female presenter Ayco Duyster, but 'duister' also means 'dark' in dutch) which can be re-listened and taped @ 96kbps from the Studio Brussel (=the radio station)-site ...select "luister"(= 'listen') on the left this will open an internet radio-application, select programma's (= programs) and scroll down to "Duyster". Each week you can listen to last Sunday's program, till Sunday evening... when it gets broadcast live again and the new show remains in the player till the next week...

This show brings you "een programma vol tomeloze weemoed en oorverdovende zoetheid. Rustig maar ongedurig." or "a program full of unbridled melancoly and ear-splitting sweetness. tranquil but restless." Mostly they play dark/melacholic singer songwriter stuff, things like 'Low' or 'Anthony and the Johnsons',... but they frequently go towards soundscapes and instumental postrock like 'mogwai', 'explosions in the sky' and even were brave enough to play an entire track from 'Godspeed you black emperor!' (24min)...

I'll just post last Sunday's playlist (I deliberately just took last weeks, haven't searched for that one real good show, just to give you all an impression of an average program)

[attachmentid=392]

Sometimes interviews with brilliant artists from that scene are featured (they are in English and no irritating translation in between...we Flemish are supposed to understand English and French without dubbing tongue.gif )

There is not that much talking in between, it's really about the music. There's a 10min newscast in the middle and very little advertising (a couple of blocks, which can be very easily removed)

so anyone with a touch of melancholy and a drive to know the unknown in music...check this out

Greetings, Volta

Let those ideas flow...

PS: tongue.gif you definitely don't have to write a complete article about it (like I did here)...but a little clarification as to what type(s) of music cn be expected could be useful

post-5301-1119357828_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Low Volta

Wait, wait, don't tell me from American Public Radio

Oh Wow, I love that show! biggrin.gif

I'm a sucker for BBC radio 4. Actually not big on radio 1 or 2 or the other ones, but I really enjoy radio 4.

Otherwise: the two local NPR stations where I used to live in the US: KCRW's "new ground" if I need new music and/or brag about how forward-thinking I am. WBFO runs a lot of jazz which helps me relax.

A couple of mainstream FM stations in Bangkok. I listened to that kinda mushy mix of pop growing up, I'm not detaching from them no matter what. Plus when they do pick non-mainstream stuff they make some amazingly inspired choices. They taught me not to draw little boxes of genre thinking all music can fit neatly into one or another - meaning I was quite dazed when I realized in the US Badly Drawn Boy and Frou Frou were NOT considered to be pop somehow! rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Gaydar Radio. The "Oasis" show is mainly the Cafe Del Mar CDs plus a few love songs tossed in, but that's what I need. Nova 969 in Sydney used to have a nice chill out/ambient show which sadly disappeared before christmas. A nice chill out show should have a 'fatalistic' tinge to it, you know? that's my definition. Ah nevermind.

Edited by Leon

my favourite radio is fm4 (links to site and stream [64kbps, sadly] in my sig)

alternative, chart-free radio, basically all kinds of conteptuary music, excluding the selling out popmusic kind of stuff.

-> schedule (times are in cet.)

i particulary like "tribe vibes"[hiphop], "solid steel radio"+"swound sound"[electronic dubby sillyness] and of course "the world wide show" by jiles peterson. [souly perspective, but generally everything, nomen est omen]

although it's an austrian radio, they mostly speak english there, so check it out...

edit: added descriptions, so you know what to expect..

Edited by SlowMo