Should Sony Make a UMD Player?

Rate this topic

lukej101

I bought a PSP a while back and am really happy with it. What i want to know though is whether sony will release a UMD player. They ARE bringing out music UMD's for the PSP but a UMD recorder may mean people could copy there games easily. However i would definatly go and buy one. Who else thinks this would be a good idea.

P.S. If no one knows what a UMD is, it is the primary format For PSP games,movies and music. UMD stands For universal media disc and is basiclly a 1.4GB (possibly 1.7GB but i cant remeber) minidisc in a nicer looking case.

Why not a home recorder? Because from what I know UMD is NOT recordable or rewritable. The discs (with content) come straight from the factory and other than with CD or DVD their is no recordable version (probably also the reason why they introduced a whole new disc-type, because in that way nobody can make illegal copies).

• 3 months later...

I think it would be a good idea for Sony to bring out a UMD player for TV. I mean, it's nice that you can watch decent quality movies on the PSP, but you just try crowding five mates around it....

Or at least a TV-out lead for PSP - either in AV or S-VHS format. If $ony really wanted to piss people off, they could put some kind of copy protection within the cable so if someone were to plug it into a VCR or DVD-R(W) device, all you'd get is noise. *

*$ony have implemented this in the PS2 - PS2 owners will know exactly what i mean. ;)

• 2 weeks later...