Sp In 1gb Hi-md Disc?

Rate this topic

The only way to write real SP to a Hi-MD disc is in realtime via an analog or optical connection from the music source to the Hi-MD unit.

I'm very sorry k. but nope:

- 1st gen Hi-MD will record legacy formats (including real SP) to MD-formatted discs only and 1gb discs can't be formatted as MD (only Hi-MD)

- 2nd gen won't even record on MD-formatted discs in legacy mode...they only offer Hi-LP, Hi-SP and PCM

Volta

Ok Volta. That makes a bit more sense.

There is a comment elsewhere on the board (posted in recent days) that led me to believe that there is no SS codec for real SP. I found that disturbing from the legacy perspective.

Would I be correct with the following summary of SS/software support for real SP:

(1) SS and NetMD supports encoding and writing real SP to MD discs (necessarily in MD format)

(2) SS and first generation HiMD supports encoding and writing real SP to MD discs (in MD format)

The question I'm really trying to answer is if I have a legacy MD player and if I want to get the best quality playback on this player (i.e. SP) can I get SS (or a version of SS) to write SP onto MD format discs? Or am I stuck having to record my SP in real-time over optical?

I know that this is off the original topic (SP on I Gb disc) but it is a concern.

Ok Volta. That makes a bit more sense.

There is a comment elsewhere on the board (posted in recent days) that led me to believe that there is no SS codec for real SP. I found that disturbing from the legacy perspective.

Would I be correct with the following summary of SS/software support for real SP:

(1) SS and NetMD supports encoding and writing real SP to MD discs (necessarily in MD format)

(2) SS and first generation HiMD supports encoding and writing real SP to MD discs (in MD format)

The question I'm really trying to answer is if I have a legacy MD player and if I want to get the best quality playback on this player (i.e. SP) can I get SS (or a version of SS) to write SP onto MD format discs? Or am I stuck having to record my SP in real-time over optical? 

I know that this is off the original topic (SP on I Gb disc) but it is a concern.

You are right concering point 2 but WRONG concerning point 1.

There exists NO PC-based SP codec. The only real SP codecs exist in the MD-units themselves. All SP recorded via USB (so via SS) is semi-SP derived from a LP2-track (132 kbps ATRAC3).

To be clear: Hi-SP (ATRAC3plus) is a different codec from old SP (ATRAC).

Sony never released a PC-based ATRAC (SP) codec because SP is not prepared for DRM and wants to protect their codecs. ATRAC3 and ATRAC3plus do have DRM so the only codecs found on a PC are ATRAC3 and ATRAC3plus codecs.

Conclusion: if you want real SP (not Hi-SP) than the only way to get geniune SP (and not derived from LP2) is to record realtime via mic, analog or digital in via an MD-unit in MD-mode. The DRM issue is also the reason why Hi-MD doesn't have the SP codec but the Hi-SP.

Thanks everybody. That is very interesting.

So, I spent the time with my old NetMD listening to what I thought was SP when in fact it was LP2 and I would have been as well listening to LP2 and putting two CDs on one disc rather than carrying around all those extra discs. Hmm.

Does everybody out there still using NetMD know this?

hmm, and I thought that I got it all clearly explained tongue.gif did you read the earlier posts?

nope, no SS... sorry skradg, he's asking about real SP (not fake-actually-just-LP2-but-it-takes-up-much-more-space-SS/SB-SP)

I thought that explained all laugh.gif

Volta

Sony never released a PC-based ATRAC (SP) codec because SP is not prepared for DRM and wants to protect their codecs. ATRAC3 and ATRAC3plus do have DRM so the only codecs found on a PC are ATRAC3 and ATRAC3plus codecs.

Conclusion: if you want real SP (not Hi-SP) than the only way to get geniune SP (and not derived from LP2) is to record realtime via mic, analog or digital in via an MD-unit in MD-mode. The DRM issue is also the reason why Hi-MD doesn't have the SP codec but the Hi-SP.

It sounds like you're quoting my own theorising, so I'll try to clarify something for you, noting that this is my opinion and has never been stated by any at Sony:

* ATRAC [sP] does not support DRM other than SCMS

* ATRAC [sP] is high enough quality that it appears to be something for Sony to worry about

* ATRAC3 modes do not support DRM either; SCMS only, same as ATRAC, along with "TRPROT" or "TRFROMPC" which are just protect tags same as track write protection, not actual DRM in any sense

* ATRAC3 modes are poor enough quality that it's nothing to worry about

* HiMD recording modes, including both ATRAC3plus and LPCM, are the only ones to support actual DRM, hence the allowance to upload from them

* HiMD doesn't have the SP codec because it would imply SS/SB support; since such support is refused to NetMD users, it's refused across the board