Hi-md And Mac's

Rate this topic

I am Jacks MZ-NHF800

Hi all, first of all this site has everything! second, i just got myself a NHF800 Hi-MD which is rather cool, and i've been trying for a couple hours now to upload from that to my Mac. now i knew before i bought the unit that SS isn't supported but i have Virtual PC and installed it. it runs very slow and i even gave it 512mb RAM for windows alone and all that was running was SS! but i could handle that. anyway i got that working fine and i recorded a little sound clip that lasted 7 seconds. i then imported it into SS...it took over 4mins including wav conversion to transfer a 7 second file!! that just is really crap. so i now i'll be going back to the old school way... real time transfer.

by the way anyone wishing to follow this path it did work. i got a sound from a MD to my Mac, it just took way to long considering the file length.

what sort of a mac are you running,

specs and everything

im considering buying an hi md and running it through virtual pc l on my G5 as i heard it wasnt to bad

you mention uploading was terrible, what is downloading onto your minidisc like

thanks

stephen

I have more news, I think is enough

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/

“What the Apple Plan To Switch to Intel Chips Means for Consumers”

“What makes a Mac a Mac isn’t the processor under the hood,” writes Walt Mossberg for the Wall Street Journal. “It’s Apple’s elegant operating system, [Mac] OS X, which won’t see major changes for 18 months, and the company’s stylish hardware designs, which it will continue to produce. When you peer at the screen of the first Intel-based Mac, it will look just like today’s PowerPC Macs, only it should run faster.” [Jun 09, 2005]

[Jun 06, 2005]

Apple to Use Intel Microprocessors Beginning in 2006

WWDC 2005, SAN FRANCISCO—June 6, 2005—At its Worldwide Developer Conference today, Apple® announced plans to deliver models of its Macintosh® computers using Intel® microprocessors by this time next year, and to transition all of its Macs to using Intel microprocessors by the end of 2007. Apple previewed a version of its critically acclaimed operating system, Mac OS® X Tiger, running on an Intel-based Mac® to the over 3,800 developers attending CEO Steve Jobs’ keynote address. Apple also announced the availability of a Developer Transition Kit, consisting of an Intel-based Mac development system along with preview versions of Apple’s software, which will allow developers to prepare versions of their applications which will run on both PowerPC and Intel-based Macs.

“Our goal is to provide our customers with the best personal computers in the world, and looking ahead Intel has the strongest processor roadmap by far,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “It’s been ten years since our transition to the PowerPC, and we think Intel’s technology will help us create the best personal computers for the next ten years.”

“We are thrilled to have the world’s most innovative personal computer company as a customer,” said Paul Otellini, president and CEO of Intel. “Apple helped found the PC industry and throughout the years has been known for fresh ideas and new approaches. We look forward to providing advanced chip technologies, and to collaborating on new initiatives, to help Apple continue to deliver innovative products for years to come.”

“We plan to create future versions of Microsoft Office for the Mac that support both PowerPC and Intel processors,” said Roz Ho, general manager of Microsoft’s Macintosh Business Unit. “We have a strong relationship with Apple and will work closely with them to continue our long tradition of making great applications for a great platform.”

“We think this is a really smart move on Apple’s part and plan to create future versions of our Creative Suite for Macintosh that support both PowerPC and Intel processors,” said Bruce Chizen, CEO of Adobe.

The Developer Transition Kit is available starting today for $999 to all Apple Developer Connection Select and Premier members. Further information for Apple Developer Connection members is available at developer.apple.com. Intel plans to provide industry leading development tools support for Apple later this year, including the Intel C/C++ Compiler for Apple, Intel Fortran Compiler for Apple, Intel Math Kernel Libraries for Apple and Intel Integrated Performance Primitives for Apple.

Intel (www.intel.com), the world’s largest chip maker, is also a leading manufacturer of computer, networking and communications products.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning desktop and notebook computers, OS X operating system, and iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital music revolution with its iPod portable music players and iTunes online music store.

I wouldn't count on Sony changing anything. Apple will remain apples and programming will be different.

Most likely, but it is very likely a product will surface which will allow Windows software to run (with varying compatibility) under Mac OS X/Intel. There is already one vendor who has announced they are planning to do this. Who knows if SS will be supported, and most Mac users wouldn't be particularly happy with the way it will feel/look/work (Windows-ish under OS X), but I suppose it'll be better than nothing for most users.

I wouldn't count on Sony changing anything. Apple will remain apples and programming will be different.

I understand that the hardware change will open up the availability of emulators like WINE, which seem to have greatly improved in compatibility and in addition, such emulators will like run software much faster.

Having said that, I'm still not really interested in running Windows software on any future Mac I will buy, so some kind of open source solution from Sony or elsewhere would be welcome.

Hi all, first of all this site has everything! second, i just got myself a NHF800 Hi-MD which is rather cool, and i've been trying for a couple hours now to upload from that to my Mac. now i knew before i bought the unit that SS isn't supported but i have Virtual PC and installed it. it runs very slow and i even gave it 512mb RAM for windows alone and all that was running was SS! but i could handle that. anyway i got that working fine and i recorded a little sound clip that lasted 7 seconds. i then imported it into SS...it took over 4mins including wav conversion to transfer a 7 second file!! that just is really crap. so i now i'll be going back to the old school way... real time transfer.

by the way anyone wishing to follow this path it did work. i got a sound from a MD to my Mac, it just took way to long considering the file length.

Just a thought. On a completely different forum (to do with DTP software) I remember reading someone stating that VPC (version 7, I think) can require as much as 2Gb RAM to function properly. Could this be the reason for the very slow upload to the Mac?

it could have been the problem but even so 512 should be enough to run VPC and ONE program, but who knows. spec wise i was running it on a PB G4 1.33Ghz 1.25Gb RAM. so its not quite a G5 but i wouldn't expect much better on a G5. but i didn't try to download to the MD sorry, i wasn't ever planning to, i got this unit as bootlegging device only, my iPod will remain my music player. oh and also there were no other apps open in OSX no other programs open in Windows except SS, so nothing else was draining juice from my CPU or RAM.

Edited by I am Jacks MZ-NHF800

i just downloaded sonic stage into Windows 2000 runnning on virtual PC,

i'm currently converting a 1000 of my aacs into mp3s so i can import them into sonic stage and see how it runs, if its responsive enough .

1.25gb is an awful lot of ram, i hope im not disapointed as i only have 512mb

I understand that the hardware change will open up the availability of emulators like WINE, which seem to have greatly improved in compatibility and in addition, such emulators will like run software much faster. 

Having said that, I'm still not really interested in running Windows software on any future Mac I will buy, so some kind of open source solution from Sony or elsewhere would be welcome.

Definitely. However, I think Windows users/developers will not really understand that. I think we'll see plenty of software vendors doing pathetic Mac/Intel ports and wondering "Why don't the Mac users appreciate it?!?".

On another note, it seems to me that if someone would release an x86->PPC emulator that uses the Transitive technology, Sonicstage would be useable in emulation. The PPC->x86 emulator (Rosetta in OS X) is far better than VirtualPC, and from what I understand it's easier to emulate x86 on PPC than the reverse. Who knows, not that this would be any kind of happy solution for Mac users.

i just downloaded sonic stage into Windows 2000 runnning on virtual PC,

i'm currently converting a 1000 of my aacs into mp3s so i can import them into sonic stage and see how it runs, if its responsive enough .

And how responsive is it?
1.25gb is an awful lot of ram, i hope im not disapointed as i only have 512mb

Mwa, 1GB is pretty standard these days, though 1 process eating 1,25GB is indeed a little more than usual smile.gif

Anyone here whose got it to work in Linux (and VMWare)?

And how responsive is it?

it actually is not that bad. it does run, it can play songs, there is a bit of lag from when i click i do get a response, once the click is registerd it does take a second or so before anything happens but that is the way virtual pc is unfortunatly.

the only real problem is converting a song from mp3 to atrac3plus, a 20 minute 192 kbps mp3 took more then an hour to convert, this is going to be quie an inconvinience trying to convert my music library to atrac.

stephen

it actually is not that bad. it does run, it can play songs, there is a bit of lag from when i click i do get a response, once the click is registerd it does take a second or so before anything happens but that is the way virtual pc is unfortunatly.

the only real problem is converting a song from mp3 to atrac3plus, a 20 minute 192 kbps mp3 took more then an hour to convert, this is going to be quie an inconvinience trying to convert my music library to atrac.

stephen

You can download the BeatJam for Buffalo. Though it works in Japanese, it can be used for transferring music files in Mac OS.. I hope you can use it.

Why not just buy an old Desktop PC for $200 with the essential components necessary to install a windows operating system? All you need is a stick of ram, a small hard drive, cpu+motherboard, sound card, and you can use your mac's monitor, and possibly keyboard and mouse. If I were in that situation, that is exactly what I would do...

Best,

Drew

where can i find this software?

thanks

stephen

Actually if you want to store any music or data on your MD all you need is to plug the usb cable to your Mac and it will treat it as a mounted hardisk. You need to have a HD formated disk inside to see it on your desktop ( i do that with my 800. The drawback ofcourse is that you can not play the files in it - just store it - as a portable 1g hardisk.

Does the Japanese Jam software formats your files in a Sony sound file?

Actually if you want to store any music or data on your MD all you need is to plug the usb cable to your Mac and it will treat it as a mounted hardisk. NO SOFTWARE NEEDED  You need to have a HD formated disk inside to see it on your desktop ( i do that with my 800.  The drawback ofcourse is that you can not play the files in it - just store it - as a portable 1g hardisk. 

Does the Japanese Jam software formats your files in a Sony sound file?

I don't really know, but here is the link to download the application. You'll have to download it and see what happens.

http://www3.justsystem.co.jp/download/beatjam

Click on the buffalo link...good luck

yeh like silence i have no idea whats going on, as i can't read japanese

i got from the first page to another page

http://support.justsystem.co.jp/faq/jspupd...?PID=0273&SC=35

this page has 3 options the first one takes you to a site for ATOK software which you need a liecence to download from my understanding, but there is a mac version for whatever good that is.

the 2nd option isan FAQ which is of no help

the third option is to allow you to buy Windows or a program for windows from JUST MY SHOP

im very interested in the software

andicillo could you please provide more help

thanks

stephen