Minidisc Haters

Rate this topic

"Whatever"

Seriously, if you find yourself fighting over things like portable audio on a regular basis, maybe you should invest in a new hobby to divert your time. No offense if you really like portable audio, but if you are getting in fights with your friends/colleuges about portable audio, it may not be worth it.

Why would anyone have a rational reason to "hate" a recording medium? Seems a bit odd to me. I've had people question why I have an MD player instead of an iPod; my answer is that I prefer the flexibility:

I don't want to upload hundreds of CDs to my computer and then download them again to a portable HD/Flash device.

I like having individual pieces of media.

I like being able to edit tracks.

I like not being tethered to a computer to record an audio track.

I like being able to take the same piece of media, play it in my lounge in a deck, in the kitchen on a mini-stereo and in my car, without having to cable things up and play with EQs on a portable device.

Edited by saaron

it's mainly my best friend who has an ipod. He just got and he's getting a little too cocky.

then it is very simple: stealthly record him being cocky (with your Hi-MD of course) and burn it to CD...later just run up to him and say: "hey listen to what I got...you should download this to your i-reallywantedtobelikeanyoneelse sorry, ipod"

Volta

• 4 weeks later...

Although it's somewhat off-topic - yes, i actually do have a njb3. I'm not satisfied with the battery life and having to use expensive proprietary batteries though. The rather bad battery life often makes you want to carry around an external power supply. Also, the a/d part is not of the best quality, using the so-called internal microphone preamplifier is a complete waste of time and effort (yes, it's that bad). It doesn't provide a bias voltage for electret microphones either, you have to use a battery box and/or an external preamp anyway - it's propably better to skip the analog part completely and connect your equipment directly to the digital-in for quality reasons. All this additional gear and its rather large own size makes it pretty uncomfortable for portable recording. I'll stick with MD and all its comparably rather insignificant quirks until there's a real competition.

Yeah, sorry it was a bit off topic but if people are criticising HiMD then they have to come up with something better - and this is the closest I've seen. A lot of US tapers are using these - including the stealth guys - but it seemed to me to be more trouble than it's worth with all of the additional kit to carry.