Rh10 40elk Remote Noise Problems

Rate this topic

dex Otaku

It makes perfect sense that I was having problems with EMF noise being picked up by my mic cables from the remote cable when recording on my RH10 [remote LCD display updates were audible in the recordings]. I tested the same with my NH700 and it did the same thing.

I'm about to go record fireworks this evening, so I tried swapping the RF choke [the ferrite-core snap-on thing on the remote cable] with one of the other included ones, and it is now much improved, with there only being audible noise is I coil the cables together for their full length.

Strange thing is - I replaced the original with a core of the same size. They're identical.

Note that the 40ELK remote has certain recording functions on it even though it lacks a record button:

* P.MODE acts as the TR.MARK key

* DISPLAY alternates between time recorded [in current track] and total REC.REMAIN

* one of the keys [i can't recall which at the moment] allows entering edit mode while recording or in rec-pause, presumably to title or erase tracks without getting the actual recorder out to do it with

Notably missing:

* record meters

* a way to force the creation of a new group if you using group recording mode

* menu access to enable/disable manual levels [from what I can see so far; the menu access is very limited]

If anyone else has problems with their mic cables picking up buzzing/beeping sounds from their remote cables - try swapping the RF choke on the line and see if it fixes it at it did in my case.

Revision:

Upon further testing, I have decided that there is basically no way to record with both a mic and the remote plugged in at the same time.

This may be in part because of the type of cable the SP-TFB-2s use, but in any case, even with the cables stretched in completely opposite directions the mic cable picks up the EM noise of the remote's display updates.

Perhaps this explains why Sony don't make recording remotes [i.e. with full recording controls on them].

Dex-

I haven't had any of the same experiences here. I use my 40ELK when recording and I don't have any problems with:

1. Noise (however, I don't usually change any displays when recording. I may try that as a test soon.)

2. Problems connecting the remote and the mics at the same time (I am using the output cable on the Reactive Sounds SPA-2). But I haven't had any problems with the SP omnis without the Boost Box and the 38EL connected.

3. There are recording meters on the 40ELK when recording (with both RH910 and RH10 I get meters when recording). Did you mean you want meters not just level indicators (which may be what I am calling meters)?

Just my .02 and my experience.

Yeah,I've noticed a lot of recording noise with my NH900 and my 40ELK remote. I'd assumed it was the radio I was recording from but will try (a) swapping the core and (cool.gif removing the remote to see if that helps.

Revision:

Upon further testing, I have decided that there is basically no way to record with both a mic and the remote plugged in at the same time.

This may be in part because of the type of cable the SP-TFB-2s use, but in any case, even with the cables stretched in completely opposite directions the mic cable picks up the EM noise of the remote's display updates.

Perhaps this explains why Sony don't make recording remotes [i.e. with full recording controls on them].