Sony Rh-10 Advice Request

Rate this topic

mark24173

Hi, first post.

I'm considering the Sony RH-10 for various reasons (the extra AA battery to increase the battery life, the recording facility etc) but there's a few questions I'd like to ask before I go and get it. I'm in Japan, btw, if that makes any difference to the accessories that do or don't come with the model.

The main question concerns the infamous SonicStage. I have rarely read a good piece of press about this software. Is it really that heinous?

The other question relates to this too. If I wanted to avoid the hassles with SonicStage, I was thinking of taking the long way round: burning my MP3s via Nero to an ordinary rewritable CD-ROM, and then just using Simple Burner to transfer the tracks over to the RH-10. This will obviously take a lot longer, but time is not such a major issue for me. Would this work? Or does Simple Burner only work with commercially purchased CDs?

If anyone can answer these questions (I know the first question is kind of subjective, but I'd like to get an idea of most users' views) it would be really helpful and most appreciated.

Thanks headphone.gif

You can use simple burner with any audio CD, but your better off just importing your mp3s into Sonic Stage. Much faster and less disc waste.

Yes, Sonic Stage is a pain in the butt for mp3 transfers, but it does work decently if you copy your existing CDs to it. I actually have all my CDs in Sonic Stage in High SP. Makes it nice and quick to put together a disc, or listen to anything in very good quality. This method does take many gigs of disc space though...

EDIT: Make sure to go into the advanced options and tell it to delete current files from hard disk after transfering. You will save yourself wasting lots of disc space.

Edited by daremo

I would go with the infamous Nero + simpleburner option. This is similar in burning MP3s to CDs, but doesn't involve burning actual CDs. You just making images of the "CDs" in your hard-drive, and simpleburner will rip them much faster (since it is in your hard drive).

What you need:

1. A burning program supporting burning an ISO image or somekind of image format. Nero does this (it uses its own image format), and it decodes most MP3s just fine. Burn those MP3s to an AudioCD image.

2. Use an image mounting program like Daemon's tool (freeware) to mount the image, so Windows will think it is actually an AudioCD. If you have Nero already, it comes with Nero image drive that does just that.

3. Start simpleburner. It will think the mounted image is an audioCD. You can title them at this point. Then start ripping. smile.gif

Sure, SS3.x is getting better, but for simple transfers of music, why not just use a simpler program, simpleburner. smile.gif

welcome to MDCF mark24173,

(as both questions relate to SS I expect this thread to be moved to the "Software discussions/faq's"-section)

The main question concerns the infamous SonicStage. I have rarely read a good piece of press about this software. Is it really that heinous?

if you use it on a basic level and do not try to use it as a real audio-player/library manager I think it is actually ok (not good, but good enough for me) but you could always see for yourself, as you can download SS3.1 from here and learn to use it befor you invest money in a Hi-MD

burning my MP3s via Nero to an ordinary rewritable CD-ROM, and then just using Simple Burner to transfer the tracks over to the RH-10.

SB (latest version available in the MDCF-downloads section) requires SS to be installed though, but for downloading music, I personally only use SB. (I use SS only for uploading MD->PC my own recordings). But for a library of MP3's I do not know whether this is the fastest/easiest route...

Or does Simple Burner only work with commercially purchased CDs?

I think that I have used SB for 'homebrew'-CDR's as well, only thing not working is the CDDB cd-info retrieval

hope this helps,

Volta