Hi-MD 2GB Blanks: Fact or Fiction?

Rate this topic

Andicillo

Sounds really interesting. I presume these would be usable in all HiMD units to date, or Sony has a big surprise in september for us.

They'd better be! I just bought 1GB disks from MD Australia and they arrived well packaged and look good so far. Seems like a good seller.

Not in Australia.

Look, it is definately a mix communication. There are no 2GB blanks nor any inside news of any coming out in the near future.

It would be great, but dont get your hopes up.

Until there is a official announcement just live with the 1GB blanks

true, unless you put one hell of a heat blocking layer between the sides your going to rewrite side 1 when you try to rewrite side 2...

and an internal system that turns 'em over when one side's done laugh.gif

Volta

That's a real pity!!! I looked at my logs and the information is there. It's a pity that nothing formal is announced. I still hope 2GB blanks will appear.

What logs? Email?

Would you mind PMing them to me

ahahahahhaha

just wondering: how many days would be at 48kps atrac? ehehehehehh

2000 x 45h = 90000h = 3750 days = >10 years

Heh, that's almost sufficient. A little bit more and we wouldn't even need to change the disc once in a lifetime. wink.gif

i thought this topic cropped up a long time ago before the announcement of the 2nd generation, and at the time it seemed a given that Sony would introduce higher capacity discs.

Yeh I am sure we did as well... and from what I remember... most people wanted 2GB if not 5GB...

Doubt that will happen though sad.gif

Yup. What we need is better MP3 support (read: Not intentionally capped to make ATRAC sound better) and faster access time.

I agree to an extent

The reason the seek time is slow, is because Sony uses a low-power drive motor system, this is the reason it takes about 1 second to seek from the edge of the disc to the center (and vise versa). However if they put a more powerful motor in the play time would also decrease accordingly

I just don't like it how it takes 5 seconds to get the fast foward actually started.. and then when it does fast foward... it takes forever.. it only goes like a lil bit faster than normal play back time tongue.gif

I just don't like it how it takes 5 seconds to get the fast foward actually started.. and then when it does fast foward... it takes forever.. it only goes like a lil bit faster than normal play back time tongue.gif

That would be a very good feature... real fast forward... I am still waiting for 2GB blanks... they would be VERY useful!!!

see thats wut i never understood. this is a fault with Sony's mechanics

Every MD song is buffered (its part of the original MD specifications). While this buffering amount varies (based on unit and codec, i.e. Atrac3+64kbps would hold more music in the same amount of memory than Atrac3+ 256kbps). When you listen to your MD, the music you hear is not coming from the disc, but rather the memory chip inside the unit. This is also why MDs rarely skip.

When a song is fast forwarded why doesnt the unit just speed up the playback from the buffer? I guess it makes sense to move the laser in case you go past the buffered amount, but it should at least start from within the buffer and move the laser while its doing this.

2000 x 45h = 90000h = 3750 days = >10 years

Heh, that's almost sufficient. A little bit more and we wouldn't even need to change the disc once in a lifetime. wink.gif

ahahahahhaa

yeah it's just good enough to a little travel... around the universe.

anyway we don't need 2 terabyte but with 2gb we could record a music concert in pcm without changing disc!

If 2 GB is finally there, people will demand 4 GB. If 4 GB is there, people will demand 8 GB, and so on... I doubt the demand for higher capacity will ever end, whether it be for longer recording time, higher resolution, multichannel, video, backup purposes or anything different. The step from 1 KB to 1 MB to 1 GB didn't take too long, so i don't see a reason why we shouldn't enter the terrabyte realm soon. My motto: If it'll be available in the future, why not use it? As long as it's not there, i don't care about it as i can live with the current limitations.

If 2 GB is finally there, people will demand 4 GB. If 4 GB is there, people will demand 8 GB, and so on...

i don't know... people don't want cds with more space i believe it depends only on the support that we are talking about... i think that fo the need we have that 5gb in a disc could be the best i could not have for more than this

1gb it's a symbolic size that does not fit to a real need

• 3 weeks later...