Creating An Audio Cd

Rate this topic

UsesSonyProducts

guy in the shop showed me SS3.1 with a drop down menu

that show options for burning atrac3 CD and also burning

audio CD (formats other than atrac3). He was using a Sony

VAIO computer - please dont tell me I need a Sony computer

to manage live recording files using SS3.1 to burn onto an audio

CD that can be played in any CD payer!???

Using help and the manual say that I need a Sony VAIO in certain

applications.

I've never even tried burning a CD from SS, to be honest. The first thing I do with my recordings [after combining tracks if necessary] is to export as WAV. Following that is editing, CD authoring et al, all of which I use other software for.

I never considered using SS for burning CDs, actually. In other respects it was too unreliable for me to bother trying.

It's useful - well, pretty much the only way to make ATRAC CDs is to use Sonicstage. I've made about 10 ATRAC CDs @256kbps for my NE910 ATRAC/MP3 CD player. More of a geek factor thing as I have all the stuff on HiMD.

You can squeeze about 6 CD's worth at that bitrate rather than the 7 or 8 that a 1GB HiMD would allow, but it takes several hours per CD on my PC, so I haven't bothered with it lately... You get this warning saying please dont start any other processes whilst the CD is being written (!) - so I suppose its only really suitable for overnight runs...

Audio CDs are even worse...

SS 3.1

My equipment: MZ- NH1

Topic: Creating CD: How?

"Depending on your operating environment, you may not be able to create a CD."

That's what it says in SS Help. No explanation about how to determine whether I can or cannot do this. When I click Transfer, there is no reference to CD creation, etc. I do have other burning software: NERO.

Can anyone explain how to make CDs --or how to determine whether I can?

Thanks.

Mak

My equipment: MZ- NH1, SS 3.1

ROMBUSTER, et al:

I wish it were so simple. Rolling the mouse over Transfer only produces a one-choice dropdown:Hi-MD[l:]

Can anyone advise me on how to get my "operating environment" set up to create a CD?

Thanks,

Mak.

It sounds like SonicStage, and perhaps Windows, is not recognizing your CD drive. Given how dumb SonicStage is, if you have a CD drive that's not drive E:, it's conceivable that SonicStage can't locate it--I don't know, mine is the conventional E:

Have you been able to use other programs (Windows Media Player, Realplayer, etc.) to write CDs?

When you click on My Computer, does it show a CD drive? Note that drive letter.

Then open SonicStage, go into Tools/Options/Creating a CD and specify that drive letter.

A440, et al.

In my SS Options, there is no "creating a CD" option. Are there different versions of SS 3.1? This expression "operating environment" is pretty nebulous.

But SS seems to recognize my CD drive [H], because under Music Source/Import a CD there is an option to choose drive [H] --which I have used.

Yes, I have used those other programs to burn CDs before.

Thanks for taking a look into it. Anyone up for solving the puzzle...?

M

In my SS Options, there is no "creating a CD" option. Are there different versions of SS 3.1? This expression "operating environment" is pretty nebulous.

But SS seems to recognize my CD drive [H], because under Music Source/Import a CD  there is an option to choose drive [H] --which I have used.

Yes, I have used those other programs to burn CDs before.

Thanks for taking a look into it. Anyone up for solving the puzzle...?

M

Your version of SonicStage 3.1 just lacks the "CD-R Writing Module (Audio CD/ATRAC CD/MP3 CD.)"

Significant differences between all versions of SonicStage 3.1: music service stores (US-Connect, Europe-Connect and Mora-Japan) and the ability to title in either Japanese or Chinese.

To install this module --> click and download the SonicStage® v3.1 Application Upgrade Installer. The SonicStage 3.1 Application Upgrade Installer should install the missing "CD-R Writing Module(Audio CD/ATRAC CD/MP3 CD."

It sounds like SonicStage, and perhaps Windows, is not recognizing your CD drive. Given how dumb SonicStage is, if you have a CD drive that's not drive E:, it's conceivable that SonicStage can't locate it--I don't know, mine is the conventional E:

and just so you don't get confused your CD-R drive DOES NOT have to be titled 'E' for it to work. for example my drive is 'D' and my HiMD is recognized as 'E'

• 2 weeks later...

Ishiyoshi, Rombusters, et al.

My equipment: MZ NH-1

Problem buring CDs... SOLVED

After a couple hours on the phone with Sony the other day, I was able to properly prepare my 'operating environment,' download Sonic Stage and register for Connect Music Store, etc. --this last being the key to the CD burning option. Seems that full software operation is grafted to the idea that the consumer will rush to the online store to download and burn CDs.

Anyway, thanks for the help. The forums are a great resource.

Mak

Ishiyoshi, Rombusters, et al.

My equipment: MZ NH-1

Problem buring CDs...  SOLVED

After a couple hours on the phone with Sony the other day, I was able to properly prepare my 'operating environment,' download Sonic Stage and register for Connect Music Store, etc. --this last being the key to the CD burning option. Seems that full software operation is grafted to the idea that the consumer will rush to the online store to download and burn CDs.

Anyway, thanks for the help. The forums are a great resource.

Mak

Easy makiji, suffering from a similar burning problem as yourself sad.gif and wanting to save myself a couple of hours on the phone to Sony could you tell me how exactly you got your 'operating environment' sorted? Seems odd as the CD drive works fine to import CDs, is recognised by SS as D Drive and I've registered for Connect Europe on SS 3.1 (just upgraded to 3.2, however US Connect version - any links to UK Connect Version??)

Might be a bit of a long one but a couple of pointers would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

• 5 weeks later...

Easy makiji, suffering from a similar burning problem as yourself  sad.gif and wanting to save myself a couple of hours on the phone to Sony could you tell me how exactly you got your 'operating environment' sorted?  Seems odd as the CD drive works fine to import CDs, is recognised by SS as D Drive and I've registered for Connect Europe on SS 3.1 (just upgraded to 3.2, however US Connect version - any links to UK Connect Version??)

Might be a bit of a long one but a couple of pointers would be greatly appreciated.  Cheers

I'm using the NH 600 with WIN XP SP2 PC and SonicStage 3.2. I've installed the european CONNECT version. With Version 2.3 it was possible to transfer to Audio and MP3 CD. After upgrading to SS3.0 this option is missing. And even with the CONNECT download this option is not not available. mad.gif

assume that some registry key is forcing SonicStage to hide this option. Anyone out there who find this key? Or any other idea?

Thanks, Frank

I'm using the NH 600 with WIN XP SP2 PC and SonicStage 3.2. I've installed the european CONNECT version.  With Version 2.3 it was possible to transfer to Audio and MP3 CD. After upgrading to SS3.0 this option is missing. And even with the CONNECT download this option is not not available.  mad.gif

assume that some registry key is forcing SonicStage to hide this option. Anyone out there who find this key? Or any other idea?

Thanks, Frank

Welcome to MDCF.

For your reference, the CD-R Writing Module should read as such within your SonicStage registry: if it's different, edit it accordingly.

locate --> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sony Corporation\SonicStage\CDR

post-5220-1125689762_thumb.jpg

Welcome to MDCF.

For your reference, the CD-R Writing Module should read as such within your SonicStage registry: if it's different, edit it accordingly.

locate --> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sony Corporation\SonicStage\CDR

Thanks for the fast answer. I've deleted some registry entries to have exactly the same like you have posted. Still not working.. huh.gif

Any other hints?

Thanks,

Frank

As a quick sidetrack, referring to Audio CD burning and ATRAC CD burning..

Have no grief to date, burning audio CD's via SS nor with MD transfer to from deck via SS (2.2 - 3.2).

However, if you do feel you'd rather not risk SS and blank CD-R's, there is lots of good alternative fully-blown CD mastering/recording software out there (nero is a pretty good catch-all, simple yet not brain-death simple either).

So if in doubt, maybe burn to a CD-RW for audio CD makeup (dunno what the rate support is on your burner, but 16x upwards in RW mode decks are not expensive and nor is quality hi-speed RW's), so you can at least test the audio cd mastering in a real CD deck (you'd be amazed how many pre-CDRW gen decks can actually read a CD-RW that's finalised and burnt DAO) and scan the CD-RW with whatever tools you choose to test the recording integrity.

If all goes well, you can either burn the geniune CD-R copy using whatever disc-to-disc software you fancy, or simply use a good imager (like IsoBuster Pro) to extract an ISO/BIN image from the CD-RW for archive and also as a HDD stored clone of the Audio CD tempory disc (aka the CD-RW) - again, burning from an image can often be more reliable than burning via disc-to-disc copy method.

The use of CD-RW's as intermediate 'test' discs, may not suit all - but if you do find SS to be iffy in reliability when it comes to burning, at least CD-RW gives you multiple hits, not multiple 'mug mats' that failed CD-R burns would generate tongue.gif

My ATRAC CD's (when i do burn for ATRAC CD Walkmans), all get burnt via the burn-to-CDRW method. The CD-RW gets field tested in the CD walkman, and if all is well, the image i pre-ripped (straight after the CD-RW was created) becomes the burn master for making any real CD-R's with.

Same story, when i burn Audio CD's via other software - takes a little more time to burn to CD-RW and pre-test on destination kit, but if it saves you later discovering a nasty hiccup took place and saves creating more duff CD-R's destined for the trash can, it's worth the extra distance.

A closing note :-

When it comes to burning Audio CD's, or any other CD types with big files/tracks on it's makeup, it's worth keeping my rule of thumb in mind (can't really use it in SS, but applies to proper CD writing software well)...

In other software, use it's test/simulation mode before commiting to an actual write process. If the tested speed the software determines it can spool off the HDD or CD source at, which will be displayed in the same units/form used to refer to speed multiple and transfer rate as for CD burning, is at least 2.5x that of the selected burn speed you chose, then you can pretty much burn on the fire-n-forget basis.

If the tested rate hits 2x the source transfer rate, beware - this is borderline asking for the 'burnproof' correction to kick in, which is not necessarily a good thing for Audio CD's.

If it drops to silly figures, like 1x or less, you are literally gonna have to either drop the chosen record speed, defrag the HDD, or both..

That rule of thumb, using Nero and other quality bits of CD software, has ensured i only get ferked CD burns, if the media is shot/ferked/duff from the outset. Out of (i dread to actually contemplate the sheer numbers) masses of burn sessions (single burns and multi-copy burns), ranging from using 2x devices (way on back) through early 'burnproof' and the late hi-speed non BP devices, through current high speed BP enabled CD and DVD rewriters, my sole trashed-disc record is... 2 CD's tongue.gif

A good rule of thumb, trust me - you just gotta make head or tail of it tongue.gif