Problem With Transferring On Mz-n420d

Rate this topic

zacdilone

Hi everyone...new to the forum but not new to MD. Six months ago I switched from an old Sharp MD player/recorder to the Sony MZ-N420D. I loved the idea of transferring tracks from my PC instead of recording them manually.

But ever since I bought this thing I have a terrible time with transferring songs, no matter what I use. I've tried every version of SonicStage that's come along, I've tried using RealPlayer...yet every time it's the same thing.

The problem is that there are gaps in a lot of songs that transfer. I would call it stuttering, but that's not totally accurate. The songs don't lose a beat, but for brief (less than a second usually) moment they go silent. It's like you have a bad connection on your headphone, but this can't be fixed by jiggling the plug!

I've tried this on different PCs, all running P4s, over 1Ghz w/512MB of RAM, Windows XP (service pack 2). I don't run any other programs during transfers. I don't use a USB hub--it's a direct connection. I've tried every compression option possible.

I'm about to chuck this thing for an ipod, unless you can help me understand what's going on.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time,

J. Brown

Edited by zacdilone

so when you've had the first problem have done the full install as bnoted in the pinned section of the software support faq?

also where do the songs originate, are they cds, mp3s? what are the bitrates? have you tried simple burner?

have you tried it *with* a powered USB hub?

Play your discs on another unit. It sounds like the reading block is busted, like RomBusters mentioned.

Thanks guys for your thoughts and help. The files themselves are various formats, but mostly 128kps MP3s. I did do a complete uninstall/full install of SonicStage, but that didn't fix it.

I'll try playing the disks on another MD player, but I'm curious...if the reading block is damaged, would that affect other disks as well? The older disks from my Sharp unit play fine on this one.

Again, thanks for your help.

You ought to try Sony Support on this, because it sounds like you're doing everything right.

Just some stray thoughts:

Have you tried using a different USB cord? You can get one for a few bucks at an electronics store--PDAs like Blackberry use them.

Is it possible some program is running in the background that's eating up processor use? Try Ctrl-Alt-Del and look at Processes to see if something is running that you're not aware of.

Also, have you tried this with different blank discs ?

And last but not least: does it happen at a certain point in every song? Or is it random?