Dawn Of A New Era - MZ-M100 Mac Compatible Hi-MD

Christopher

Is this a sign that a union between Sony and Apple are coming closer moreso than ever before? I present to you the MZ-M100; the "M" nomenclature being the latest addition to the family of confusing named MD units, presumeably designating Mac compatibility.

[attachmentid=433]

[click here for Sony site with more information]

It looks exactly like a the MZ-RH10 (and no other specifications will be different aside from what is mentioned below), except it features a different title at the bottom of the unit with an additional "Linear PCM". Why is Linear PCM mentioned so boldly?

It's the only type of format that can be uploaded to Mac.

So that means no ATRAC3plus can be uploaded to Mac. Included with the unit will be a special *.wav converting software especially for Apple computers, and will also include a ECM-DS70P microphone - one of Sony's most popular of all time. MDR-E931 earphones will also be a part of the package. Sony will sell this unit for about $399 with e-tailers likely to carry it for $300 - $350. Worldwide availability and differing colors are not immediately known.

There has been no announcement of Apple compatible software for transferring music to the device. There is no word as to if pre-existing Hi-MD units will be compatible with Apple computers and the new *.wav converting software. This unit will work with PC's just like a MZ-RH10.

--------

A lesser unit will also be released with the same accessories and specifications of it's clone, this being directly similar to the MZ-RH910, dubbed MZ-M10:

[attachmentid=434]

[click here for Sony site with more information]

Sony is selling this for $329, but expect it to hit $275.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

biggrin.gif

Well, I am pleased and genuinely suprised by this , I watch the progress of the format with ever growing confusion, some days I am convinced that Sony are about to pull the plug on the format...then out of the blue, something like this appears

Developments like this give me hope that Sony still have commitment to the format.......COOOOL

By the way as an aside ....I have 3 types of Sony walkmans ie several Hi MD devices, a Sony HD5 hard drive player and a Sony Atrac CD walkman....whatever anybody says by way of criticism, I can use the remotes on all of the devices, they all use the same software, and hopefully soon I can use them with a MAC !!!! what other manufacturer gives us that ???? just wish there were more minidisc devices in the shops though

Sony's not advertising this to be Mac compatible. What it does emphasize, however, is it's intended use for commercial applications. Look even at the title on the page - Pro Audio. Not MD Walkmans, etc. Pro Audio.

That would also explain the bundling of the microphone within the package. And the promotional blurb on the website that follows as such:

This Hi-MD™ portable audio recorder is ideal for journalists and musicians who need to make high-quality stereo audio recordings using cost-effective removable storage media. The MZ-M100 recorder comes supplied with an ECM-DS70P Stereo Microphone and MDR-EO931 Earbud Headphone. The recorder uses affordable Hi-MD™ media with 1 GB storage capacity. Three recording modes are supported including: Linear (PCM) 44.1kHz/16-bit, ATRAC3plus 256kbps (Hi-SP) mode and ATRAC3plus 64bps (Hi-LP) mode. The recorder supports USB uploading + downloading with PC (using supplied Sonic Stage software), and USB uploading with MAC (using supplied Hi-MD WAV importer software), allowing transferring audio recordings to a computer in .Wav file format. This Hi-MD™ device can also be used as a USB mass storage device, allowing storing data files on the Hi-MD™ disc along with audio recordings.

It looks like the Mac usage is simply for uploading, and that it's a new variant of software. Any reasons to think that this wouldn't work for those of us with RH10s and the like? I don't know - I'm an idiot as it stands....

There is no word as to if pre-existing Hi-MD units will be compatible with Apple computers and the new *.wav converting software.

hate to be the bringer of bad news, but in the specifications section it says:

Note: Only Hi-MD PCM self-recordings made on MZ-M100 and MZ-M10 models can be imported using the Hi-MD WAV Importer software.

so this means that (or at least they say that) the software won't work with NH or RH-type HiMD's...

but still, looks like HiMD could be aimed as a decent but cheaper replacament for DAT... which could be promising for the survival of the format

Oh gee more choices... I ALMOST bought myself a RH10 couple days ago but... after reading about the problems with MP3 playback quality (sound-wise) and the deadbeat check-out line (Fry's) I put it back to the shelf.

Still I want a Hi-MD for both personal and work but now more choices? Gee lol it's going to be tough to choice in between a R10 or a M100 lol.

On the other hand being able to upload the "special" format PCM to MACs somewhat helps since ProTools we have runs on MACs and sometimes too big of recording equipments are problems for field recording... however the good microphones are bigger then the unit itself (AKG 414Cs) and require +48V DC power to run... end up like if I am going to carry that much bigger microphones I might just bring out the bigger field/portable recorders.

Oh my head... Guess I'll go back to my Tascam portable DAT recorder lol...

happt to say i was wrong, i assumed it was a misprint initially. good to see the now rather elderly 'B' series has conitued, albiet with an external mike & a new name.

who know when & were this will arrive first.

'using supplied Hi-MD WAV importer software' suggests to me that there will be a new stand alone wav converter for the mac.

'using supplied Hi-MD WAV importer software' suggests to me that there will be a new stand alone wav converter for the mac.

there will be... it will be a "mac uploader and wav converter for PCM selfrecordings made with the MZ-M100 or MZ-M10-only" though according to the site... (see my previous post)

but this model definitely looks good tongue.gif I hope it will drop a little in price before my NH900 runs out of juice... I'm slowly starting to think about giving my 1st gen some company laugh.gif

i think you should be the canary for us.

you mean as in the test-subjects used in the mines to see if it was unsafe (because of gass) and be the first one to try out the M-models

or as in the irritating yellow pet-birds that just won't shut up laugh.gif

in the first case... I'm afraid I'm a bit low on cash right now sad.gif as I can't do any student (or real tongue.gif ) jobs as I need to finish my thesis...so I was thinking of waiting till the autumn...then I should have something to spend again and the big Sony announcement about the future of portable music will perhaps even bring a third gen (if we do not count this as a separate gen at least, otherwise 4th gen)

in the second case I'm afraid that's just my nature laugh.gif but I didn't mean to "correct" you A., just wanted to be very clear (before thousends of new thread by mac-users begging for the "new wondersoftware" pop up biggrin.gif ... just kidding, as it would actually be useful to test it and perhaps give a copy to the programmer-brainiacs reading this stuff)

I'm remember well, these 2 Hi-MD (MZ-M100 and MZ-M10) professional portables are resemble that DAT recorder portable professional is model PCM-M1.

The letter "M" is means PCM linear without SCMS protection.

Also colour of the case always is black

You see photos of 2 recorder portable DAT in gallery MDCF.

* EDIT *

It can't to add photos in members gallery MDCF!

I'm sorry, you try to find the site Google -> Images -> PCM-M1.

PCM-M1 (black) is identical with my TCD-D100 (silver) portable recorder, different with SCMS protection for TCD-D100.

Edited by betamaxDATminidisc

Interesting developments - Sony hardware, like their HiDef video camera is already advertised on the Apple website for Pro use with a MAC maybe these new Pro-Edit HiMD portables will turn up there too - very good news for the format - some support from the professional world for HiMD could do it good.

However on a separate note the Sony America site already has a firmware update for the PSP which allows the UMD icon to appear under the Music sub-heading in the home section of the device. The UMD icon already appears under the game and film setion of the device dependant upon which type of UMD is inserted to allow game or film playback. I updated my PSP and now you can choose to playback music from your MS Duo card or a UMD disc (if inserted). Movies are available, UMD albums as it were are not. Considering Sony experiemented with MD albums in the 90s and it failed I can only pressume that 2006 will see home UMD recorders. What would this do to the MD format? A blank UMD can hold more than a blank HiMD!

Unless Sony bring out a combined HiMD and UMD portable device that will burn to and play back from both formats (which are essentially the same) HiMD may become confined to the world of Journalism whilst UMD attempts to take MDs place in the world of portable entertainment. A great shame if you ask me!

Well, my question is: why did Sony make UMD instead of larger-capacity HiMD? I'm sure there are technical issues with that (won't argue), but with UMD they just put on the market yet another media format. A bit like getting a new lock on your door every time you leave home. (No? Wrong metaphor? Oh well.)

No I agree with you, why UMD? Now I own a PSP I have compared UMD and HiMD discs and it appears as though Sony stripped off the disc protection mechanism from the MD (the metal bit that covers the disc) and that allowed for the actual disc box covering the UMD to become smaller, stripping off plastic elsewhere means that the umd is smaller in size than the HiMD and hence the PSP can be more compact, but the actual optical disc is the same size as an HiMD/MD.

I know Sony have the capability to produce 5gig HiMDs at a cost of about $20 per disc but they refuse! madness

Edited by bobdibest

As far as im aware and I think im correct in saying (but please someone correct me if im wrong) both HiMD and MD are Magneto-Optical (MO) drives that can store data all over the disc with the ability to draw on the all different points of the disc to put back together the data and reproduce the sound/photo. The magnet focuses the laser to a finer point.

Im not sure about UMD but id guess its the same and thats why I dont see why you cant combine the two to make one drive. They are of different sizes and so this is a problem but you can put an 8cm or 12cm CD into one drive, why not MD and UMD????

Stranger things have happened

In my understanding a UMD is basically a miniDVD (optically read, pits and lands) with loads more copy protection.

The reason they didn't go with HiMD is because the media is SLOW, you're looking at 1-5x CD-ROM speed maybe slightly more or less, compared to a much faster medium.

Regarding the new unit here's my question: if they are releasing a WAV converter for the MAC how exactly are they going to transfer the recordings from the disc to the computer before converting them? Or wil they have absolutely no DRM and just appear as .wav files on the disc? If so how will they be backwards compatible?

The idea of Hi-MD replacing DAT is something I've always hoped would happen. I'm a home musician who mixes down to DAT and then compiles albums on MD. I'd previously wondered why Sony would go to the effort of having PCM on Hi-MD. So as a home musician, I'm pleased with this development, since I'll be able to have the convenience of MD-editing without sound compression and no DRM.

On the other hand, I fear I may agree with the person who said it looks like Sony might be losing interest with MD as a consumer format. But a healthy "consumer" DAT community using (semi) professional equipment has survived for years, mainly archiving and trading live concerts, as well as used by home musicians. With the demands of professional audio, Hi-MD would likely go multi-channel, as well as 96/24 high definition. "Consumer" MD would really be a high-quality nitch market using professional equipment. Not a bad situation, if MD must die as a consumer format.

OK, these things are essentially RH-10's, without legacy/MP3 support

please read the enclosed links carefully before you comment... as it clearly says:

* Audio Formats Supported *

Recording: Linear PCM (44.1khz 16-bit), ATRAC3plus (Adaptive TRansform Acoustic Coding 3 plus) (Hi-SP/Hi-LP);

Playback: Linear PCM, ATRAC3plus, ATRAC3, ATRAC, MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3/Sampling Frequency 44.1kHz/Bit rate 32-320 kbps (constant /variable bit rate))

so actually it is exactly the same as the RH10, with the added PCM->mac ability

darn, if only I had enough cash to get me one...

Good news for people who need portable, live recording. Thank God Sony wasn't serious about making every buy a Vaio U with SonicStage Mastering Studio to replace their DAT portables.

Bad news... It's just upload for Christsakes tongue.gif Got nothing to do with making a Mac the new mothership of your network walkman. I know even just this will be great for many musicians, but that's all.

I think the reason UMD was created (instead of an Hi-MD that encompasses the DRM they need) is simply because there are so many divisions within Sony, like the Vaio Pocket versus the HD1/2/3/5 situation.

Isn't UMD just for PSP anyway?

I know there are talk of UMD movies being released for playback on a PSP, but c'mon! You gonna buy a new format that only plays on a cr@ppy little screen portable for probably £20, or buy the 'normal' DVD for bout £8?

blink.gif

Edited by MDGB2

please read the enclosed links carefully before you comment... as it clearly says:

so actually it is exactly the same as the RH10, with the added PCM->mac ability

You're right, I only checked the description.

Strange anyhow, because it seems to me there's only software needed on the computers side to upload methinks.... (to read the .hma)

guess what, I just bought last week a MZ rh 10 for mic recordings and I have a mac. I hate this.

Is there any chance the Mac software will work on the MZ rh10,

Or when is the MZ 100 available in Holland?

Or is there a chance somebody can hack the Mac software?

This is a welcome development. In the last 6 years I've written as many e-mails to Sony to request Mac compatibility, surely I wasn't the only one, cynics amongst you may say this will not have made a difference. I'm a Mac user, so I look on the bright side.

Nevertheless, this is great news. I only wish a portable MiniDisc recorder could have an non-Atrac option, i.e. at 44.1 KHz as alternative to the phasing out of DAT machines. The proposition of a quality recording iPod is daft. Removable media is essential. Podcasting may drive this market.

I've searched for sources to buy MZ-M100 in the UK, not had much luck. Any ideas?