Tmeg's Sony MZ-DH10P Review & Pictorial

Rate this topic

Hi,

I just got today my first Hi-MD, with the camera feature (1.3 MP).

So far the display looks very good, a lot of details and great song navigation. Pictures look good if taken at good light. It is not like a real camera, but its good enough for some fun pictures and for desktop backgrounds.

The playback of Mp3 files is great, saves converting time and should give better quality than re-encoding. VBR files seem to be no problem.

biggrin.gif So far I am very happy with the player.

OK, I added a few pictures I just made to this post. I ordered the player from audiocubes and it arrived exactly one week after the order smile.gif I was very lucky that I did not need to go to the customs, then it takes easily at least a month more here in Germany.

The player is very well built and the display is really good, like on some cameras. It turns of after some time, probably to save battery. The battery is a Li-Ion one, different than all the small batteries before. How long does it play? I need to figure that out, after one or two days I can not really say. It probably depends on how many pictures are taken and on how often the display is turned on. The song display is the best I saw until now. It shows the album picture from SonicStage and all other info that is interesting.

I most like how well and smooth everything worked, install was no problem, I had SonicStage 3.1 already installed and did not need to insert a CD that came with the player. While using SS the player is not available as a storage device, but if it is closed the pictures and files may be accessed from the Windows Explorer. It is absolutly great that now direct MP3 playback is included. While it seems not to be possible to use any other software than SS to transfer the files, at least the sound quality is not affected and no additional encoding is needed. I like that a lot. The sound quality from CDs, copied with SimpleBurner in Hi-SP is really very good; I did not notice any problems. But I am no HiFi expert on this, it just sounded very good to me.

I bought the Japanese version because the other versions seem not to use a remote with a display. Strangly it seems to be the same remote like from the MZ-N1, the N910 did have a two line remote; this one has again only one line. I did not yet test if the remotes are interchangeable.

I also did not yet test the display of Chinese or Japanese characters on the main display or the remote.

For compatibility, I found that my app Win NMD works with the new player, too. But only if a normal old MD is inserted. With new Hi-MD discs or with old MDs, formatted with the available higher resolution, my app does not recognize the player. Quite a bad thing is, that not all sound files may be played back via USB sound connection. MP3 files and all old recordings seem to be played back only through headphone out. Hi-SP songs come through the USB and do not require the additional sound cable. At least that is an improvement. It is a pity that not all sound makes this route.

I will probably keep my older player because the new one is not able to record from Mic or through line- or optical-in. So this is a little bit bad, but probably I will now transfer everything via the PC anyways. For Mic recordings I'll use my older NetMD.

About the picture quality, I found it good enough for a Desktop background or for very small photo prints (about half the size of a normal foto). With good light the pictures are OK. Otherwise quality degrades. It is mostly a funny thing. And my wife likes the player a lot. The album pictures are great and it is great to have so many CD albums on the player at once. Also it just looks good. One nice thing I must mention is that it is possible to make a small picture of a CD cover and use it as the album art.

So she will be very fine with the player and me, too. If you have a mobile phone with camera, there is probably no real need for such feature.

post-36-1121592401_thumb.jpg

post-36-1121592445_thumb.jpg

post-36-1121592461_thumb.jpg

post-36-1121592488_thumb.jpg

post-36-1121592506_thumb.jpg

post-36-1121592544_thumb.jpg

post-36-1121592561_thumb.jpg

I will probably keep my older player because the new one is not able to record from Mic or through line- or optical-in. So this is a little bit bad, but probably I will now transfer everything via the PC anyways. For Mic recordings I'll use my older NetMD.

This seems to ba a HORRENDOUS limitation of the device -- if you have to do all your transferring via a computer it really isn't IMO worth "upgrading" from an older player.

Without record possibilities it really is a "hobbled" down device -- and without optical input you are at the mercy of Sony's algorithms for getting your sound.

I certainly don't always want to be near a computer when messing around with music.

Nice pics but I'll pass on this particular device (and I usually always like new gadgets)

Cheers

-K

.... One nice thing I must mention is that it is possible to make a small picture of a CD cover and use it as the album art.

If You go to amazon.com and look up an album/cd you can save the image of the cover to your hard disk and then add it to your recording/album in SS library. Then it would import to your dh10p along with the music right?

If You go to amazon.com and look up an album/cd you can save the image of the cover to your hard disk and then add it to your recording/album in SS library.  Then it would import to your dh10p along with the music right?

Yes that works fine, I did it a few times now. It would be even better, if the album images would be synchronized, but it does not get updated at the MD if I attach the image after transfering it to MD. But still it looks nice. I do not really know the iPod Foto, but I assume it works similar to this all, but of course which much more space on disc. It still holds true that MD is a little bit dated in comparison to harddisc players, but at least it now works fine and without software crashes, with decent space for albums and with a great display.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This seems to ba a HORRENDOUS limitation of the device -- if you have to do all your transferring via a computer it really isn't  IMO worth "upgrading" from an older player.

Without record possibilities it really is a "hobbled" down device -- and without optical input you are at the mercy of Sony's algorithms for getting your sound.

I certainly don't always want to be near a computer when messing around with music.

Nice pics but I'll pass on this particular device (and I usually always like new gadgets)

Cheers

-K

I would tend to agree. Nice unit but not much value for the price. The camera doesn't get much better resolution than most cell phone cameras. I see the price dropping on this one very shortly. Audiocubes has already dropped the price on Sony's 2nd gen EH930 (which I purchased at full price a few months back wacko.gif )

Yes that works fine, I did it a few times now. It would be even better, if the album images would be synchronized, but it does not get updated at the MD if I attach the image after transfering it to MD. But still it looks nice. I do not really know the iPod Foto, but I assume it works similar to this all, but of course which much more space on disc. It still holds true that MD is a little bit dated in comparison to harddisc players, but at least it now works fine and without software crashes, with decent space for albums and with a great display.

..... Actually no!

With my color iPod, iTunes will automaticly send the album art over for you.

On my Mac (my main computer) I use a program called Clutter to get the cover art off of Amazon US or UK, and I Eat Brainz to get the correct .mp3 tag info. I'm sure there are windows equivilants that will work with SS 3.x to correctly tag and art your songs.

I only keep a windows PC to fill my MZ NHF 800. It will be my main Hi-MD player until Sony adds the radio remote capability to a better one!

Glad you like your player!!!

Edited by MadDuck

• 2 weeks later...

About the picture quality, I found it good enough for a Desktop background or for very small photo prints (about half the size of a normal foto). With good light the pictures are OK. Otherwise quality degrades.

IPB Image Can you post some pictures taken by your (or anyone elses!) DH10P? .. I would really like to see how they look.

Edited by Jacques