Hi-sp On A Portable Vs Lp2 On A Bookshelf Unit

Rate this topic

1kyle

I just wonder if the quality of the portable HI-MD units are really as high as they could be (sound wise).

Whilst I really have no probs with HI-SP played througfh a decent sound system or listened to using a PROPER set of cans such as decent top end Sennheisers I really can't hear too much difference when playing an LP2 disc which I recorded on my MDS-JB980 and am playing back into a good sound system using the same deck (MDS-JB980).

The quality of that unit IMO was utterly FIRST CLASS and if you can find one (they can be had quiote cheaply) I'd go for it. The SP mode is also really outstanding (listening at home the disk size is not so important anyway) l and it has a nice digital output as well.

Now when it comes to playing LP2 from Net MD or HI-MD portable units there IS a difference.

So are the new HI-MD units "hobbled" in any way to appeal to the sound that a lot of people have got used to -- relatively highly compressed Mp3's often connected to a "boom box".

I just don't use my NH1 at home any more --the MDS-JB980 is more than sufficient

The NH-1 is used now purely on the move.

So Sony if LP2 sounds this great on a high quality MDLP deck -- I can't wait to see the full potential of HI-SP on a decent TOP END shelf system.

Come on Sony --there's people actually waiting to spend money !!.

To any other LP2 doubters -- record LP2 from your CD optical out via optical in on a decent shelf unit and try it. --The Original CD must also be of high quality --some of the cheaper re-mixes you find in Tesco's etc. are of not very good quality to start with.

(I agree that recording via SS or other method into a portable unit then LP2 does have flaws although for car listening etc it's fine).

Cheers

-K

Edited by 1kyle

I think the question is whether Hi-SP sounds better (via line out) to decent speakers or headphones than LP2 on a decent deck like the JB980.

I'd say the deck wins if played directly, particularly the JB980 with its high quality DAC, true hi-fi components and Type S decoder. I havent tried a proper comparison of my JB980 with, say my NH900 in line out mode, but the last time I plugged the NH900 into the stereo it didn't seem any better than SP or LP2 recordings so, I havent bothered since then... I'm happy with the NH900 through my Xin mini amp & HD580 phones though..

I don't think 1kyle's actually asking anything tongue.gif I guess he was just packaging his plea for a full featured HiMD deck as a pondering about the potential of HiSP from a deck:

first he states a deck makes such a big difference in sound quality (playback), which he underscores by:

- as he can hear such a difference between LP2 played on a (HiMD) portable >< deck

- and he can't really hear a big difference between LP2 from a deck and HiSP from his HiMD

then he starts wondering: if LP2 sounds that great on a deck, then HiSP (much higher kbps) should sound even much better... give us a HiMD deck

...so it's not a bitrate/codec question/discussion... it's (again tongue.gif ) a plea for a HiMD bookshelf deck, only packaged a bit different

and 1k, as HiMD could slowly be going pro-user oriented (see the news section) there could be room for a pro-deck perhaps...

I don't think 1kyle's actually asking anything tongue.gif  I guess he was just packaging his plea for a full featured HiMD deck as a pondering about the potential of HiSP from a deck:

More or less correct -- I was trying to say that the quality of a high end deck at LP2 sounds at least as good if not better than a portable HI-MD unit at HI-SP.

Since the compression is higher in LP2 than HI-SP it would appear that a high end HI-MD deck equivalent say to the MDS-JB980 would really "Blow any competition" away when using HI-SP.

Currently "There's no such animal" but if one came out I would want it.

On portable equipment LP2 definitely doesn't sound as good as HI-SP --but the amount of difference is really up to the listener's ears and for most portable listening environments such as Trains, Cars etc. is probably more than acceptable.

I think that there is definitely a PRO trend emerging here --this should ensure the continuation of the Format --even if Sony seems to "have got its collective knickers in a twist" as far as Consumer level gear is concerned.

Cheers

-K

Edited by 1kyle

More  or less correct -- I was trying to say that the quality of a high end deck at LP2 sounds at least as good if not better than a portable HI-MD unit at HI-SP.

Since the compression is higher in LP2 than HI-SP it would appear that a high end HI-MD deck equivalent say to the  MDS-JB980 would really "Blow any competition" away when using HI-SP.

Currently "There's no such animal" but if one came out I would want it.

On portable equipment LP2 definitely doesn't sound as good as HI-SP --but the amount of difference is really up to the listener's ears and for most portable listening environments such as Trains, Cars etc. is probably more than acceptable.

I think that there is definitely a PRO trend emerging here --this should ensure the  continuation of the Format --even if Sony seems to "have got its collective knickers in a twist"  as far as Consumer level gear is concerned.

Cheers

-K

Audiocubes.com just started offering the Onkyo Hi-MD decks in the past day or two. The cheaper unit goes for about $469 USD. Kind of steep,. but Onkyo quality,. hmmm, I'm tempted.

More  or less correct -- I was trying to say that the quality of a high end deck at LP2 sounds at least as good if not better than a portable HI-MD unit at HI-SP.

Since the compression is higher in LP2 than HI-SP it would appear that a high end HI-MD deck equivalent say to the  MDS-JB980 would really "Blow any competition" away when using HI-SP.

I'd say KJ Palmer's response was probably the issue here. The line out of portable units (Sony's, at least) is pretty lame. Even comparing the line out of my NH1 vs. my JB530 deck there is a plenty noticeable difference. I suspect it probably has less to do with the compression codec.

Easy way is record cd to md with NH1 and cd to MD with your deck (in SP). Then compare them listening on your deck. I doubt there's any quality difference as both use exactly same hardware in their codecs (placebo effect, at most).

then the score is 1-1

Then you can listen same disc with NH1 line-out and and deck through speakers. Volume difference may be relatively big, but you'll get some idea how NH1 line-out sound. I think it's pretty good (in my mind it's one of the best in portable audio players). But deck is a deck and it should(!) sound better than portables. Even so, I doubt the deck sounds better through your speakers in LP2 than NH1 in SP, different but maybe not better?

And the winner is deck by 2-1. victory.gif

Edited by L7R