Download Cap By My Isp

Rate this topic

veezhun

i am one of the lucky few in india to actually call my connection Broadband.. it is a 256K download with a supremely low upload speed..

above all, i have a 1 GB download cap!! 1gb!! frickkin nonsense... i cant download much and the speeds are horrible during the day...

i was reading about internet connections in countries like japan and sweden... i want those speeds!!

what connections are you guys using?? is there a download cap??

cheers

1.5 mb down 512 up

30g/month cap

not that i ever get anything like those speeds. annoyingly the major telco herte, telstra owns the wire & bandwidth & won't let consumers or isps access the full speed of the system, 8mb/s [!] bastards. also they restrict new techbnology as much as posible to keep prices high. double bastards.

I'm using Telenet Expressnet = Belgian broadband (cable) and the standard subscription

- download speed = 5 Mbps

- upload speed = 194 Kbps

- max data traffic (/30 days) = 10 gig*

- max upstream (within 10 gig from above) = 1,5 gig*

*everything between 00.00 and 10.00am counts as half (so if used only between these hours, data traffic = doubled)

there are faster subscriptions available, but I notice that speeds are usually limited by cirumstances and also very much by what the other end can provide...so it's more than enough for me

the major telco herte, telstra owns the wire & bandwidth & won't let consumers or isps access the full speed of the system, 8mb/s [!] bastards. also they restrict new techbnology as much as posible to keep prices high. double bastards.

I am with Telstra, Bigpond here is Sydney. Unfortunatley adrian is 100% correct with his statement.

The new medium coming out ADSL2+ which allows for 24mb down and 1mb up if your within 3 km's of the exchange is just coming out here. And some of the smaller telcos are taking it to telstra to raise their game. Lots of ISP's buy their bandwith off telstra, so are restricted by them unfortunatley!

But some new telco's are starting to create their own exchanges, anabling these new super fast speeds!

Telstra say they'll do this in 2006/2007, but you wouldn't want to hold your breath mad.gif

Oh... in all that anger I forgot to say what I am on! tongue.gif

Broadband Cable with Bigpond 10GB cap, but once ova 10GB, my speed gets slowed to 64k, instead of being charged excess fees.

Theoretically 10Mb download, and 128kb upload... but I only get the max 1.2megabytes/s off Microsoft sites... normall 400kb/s off everywhere else... and the upload speed... well it is shit sad.gif

Edited by MZ-NH1

I think my connection is pretty much the same as Kurisu's. 256-ish up, 4/5 Mbit down, 30 GB cap per month, not exceeding 2 GB per day. I wonder if I'll ever be able to even upload 1 GB. *shrugs*

They will only charge me if I exceed 30 GB per month, and warn me if I exceed 2 GB per day.

how much do you people pay for all this speed? my rate comes to Rupees 550 a month which comes to around 12 USD a month...

the thing is the minute i want something like a 30GB cap with a minimum 1 MB line, the price goes somewhere around 2,000 USD!!!! it is available only as a leased line from the major telecom vendors..

ISP's here dont offer more than 256K for normal consumers..

Here in the U.K. my ISP is providing an uncapped ASDL service for £25 (about $40 US) per month.

It started out 2 years ago as a 512kB/s downstream 256kB/s upstream, upgraded about a year ago to 1MB/s down (still 256kB/s up)

And is about to be upgraded to 2MB/s downstream (still 256kB upstream I think), all still for the same price.

So value for money has increased here, hopefully India (and others) will do likewise ...

Here in Finland, 8 (~10$) euros per month. 1Mbit up or down, no cap whatsoever. My up/download totals are 100-250GB/month. whistling.gif

[attachmentid=462]

post-7398-1121792757_thumb.jpg

Edited by L7R

Chris would you like to suggest to your ISP to come "down under" and supply us with connections like that!?

Tell them it would be a very good business investment

Here in Finland, 8 (~10$) euros per month. 1Mbit up or down, no cap whatsoever. My up/download totals are 100-250GB/month.  whistling.gif

What on earth do you download? Upload? tongue.gif

If I tried, I might just be able to get about 50-60GB a month.. not 200!! ohmy.gif

Edited by MZ-NH1

baest not to talk about what we actually do or don't download. we do not advocate breaking copyright or any form of software piracy. i assume he just reads a lot of txt files.