Europeans: Boost the Volume of the NW-A3000/1000

Rate this question

Christopher

Question

Just like the NW-HD# hacks to defeat the European output limitation, there is a service mode trick that will do the same for the NW-A3000 and NW-A1000 as well. No word yet on the NW-A608, but it will most likely not be able to be changed.

Thank you very much to nw_lover for the tip.

You must first enter test mode, as instructed (ignore step three for now):

ALC3.jpg

Proceed to alter the setting accordingly:

ALC1.jpg

Turn the unit off afterwards via the directions in step 3.

• Answers 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

and Tetsugaku-San, can you please tell us how was it with the disabled volume limiter and th EQ trick you have found??

Just seems to be extra loud with both the EQ trick and the limiter turned off, no noticable distortion (again this could be me 'phones helping)

Remember kids, the limiter is there for a reason, don't listen at full blast for hours at a time ;)

Edited by Tetsugaku-San

Just seems to be extra loud with both the EQ trick and the limiter turned off, no noticable distortion (again this could be me 'phones helping)

Remember kids, the limiter is there for a reason, don't listen at full blast for hours at a time ;)

Yep I turned off the volume limiter yesterday and yes it worked really well.Although I don't think there is a need to hack the EQ settings,if you just set the EQ to none its the same as hacking it!!By the way I think I just lost my hearing in both ears.lol:) :ol_biggrin:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is this 'EQ trick' that everyone's referring to? Does that just mean turning the EQ settings up to increase volume. Ive been doing that for ages with MD...

Many people are still confused whether Equaliser settings work or not with Mp3s In new a3000/1000(but infact it works)}.So Confused(These people are assuming that it does not work) ones are asking for Eq tweak ..

Hopefully you will understand that

Everybody says EQ settings work with mp3s  on new A3000/1000.       

So what s that@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check it again "NoOneHome"

I've now tried an mp3 again (having done the volume fix above) and EQ does work indeed work.

I must admit that I was unimpressed with the EQ before the volume fix, but with the volume fix it's definately improved all round.

Please excuse my ignorance on this - but is the volume fix a permanant feature (ie unless switched off) or do you have to go through the sequence each time you turn it on?

Hello Steve,

Volume fix is a permanent feature unless you reset your player to factory settings(Using main menu).

Cheers,

Stuge

Hi Guys

I've just bought myself an NW-A3000 yesterday and have had a go at doing the volume hack with not much luck.

I can get into testing mode no worries, but when I press the right arrow button to get the 'others' option, V CHK (volume check??) appears and I can't go any further to the right.

If I go back to where I was when I first entered tesing mode and use the down arrow I can find 'others' option. If I press the right arrow button then, it comes up with G TEST and I can't go any further.

I've tried this a few times now and this keeps happening.

Any help as to what I might be doing wrong would be appreciated! :ol_cool:

Matt

Hi Guys

I've just bought myself an NW-A3000 yesterday and have had a go at doing the volume hack with not much luck.

I can get into testing mode no worries, but when I press the right arrow button to get the 'others' option, V CHK (volume check??) appears and I can't go any further to the right.

If I go back to where I was when I first entered tesing mode and use the down arrow I can find 'others' option. If I press the right arrow button then, it comes up with G TEST  and I can't go any further.

I've tried this a few times now and this keeps happening.

Any help as to what I might be doing wrong would be appreciated! :ol_cool:

Matt

I think you are going the wrong way .

When test menu appears press Down button until "others" option is shown ,then press right(sub menu),then again press down button again until you get "SP settings",

Press play button for on/off

Wow! Atlast there is Volume hack for A3000/1000.

And as said by Ascariss thisi s definately going to boost sales..

Yes I think it might. Actually I think Sony is allowing the units to be software "hacked" for higher volume not only because it is probably easier to limit them this way (instead of having different hardware for different regions) but also because they know people are going to figure out how to do this. The law/regulations in Europe may require them to do this as a manufacturer, but they have no responsibility as to what you do with your unit after you get it ;)

Hi!

Does anyone know a similar hack for the nw-e5xx series?

You can Enter the test mode* of E500/E400(series) but their is no volume hack* that you can do.

Test or service mode on NW-E40* or NW-E50*

***This Topic has been discussed before in the forum but with no results.You will see it under" Test or service mode on NW-E40* or NW-E50*"topic

Edited by Stuge

I went back to my nearest SonyCentre yesterday to get my new NW-A3000! I took my first one back because some problems have been found with the items at release and I bought mine 2 days after the release. Now I'm happy because without the louder volume it's very quiet with inner-earphones but now I've boosted it through the test menu it's just right.

If it helps I have found no problems with the EQ and MP3 files. It all works as expected!

i don't understand what the test mode is. i followed those directions but when i take hold off its still the same. please can you tell me how to get test mode on thanks

I would suggest you read & follow the instructions given on the first page of this Topic carefully ..

You will definately enter "Test Mode"

off...

and does anyone think they can get their hands on the service manual for the nwa1000/3000 so we can find out what all the other lovely options in test mode do?

Except for this tweak there is no lovely option in the test mode..

welll we don't even know what the other options do yet...

unless you know.. care to tell us?

Question: does SP (sound pressure limit) draw more power (shorten the battery life) when it is off/unlimited compared to when it is on, even if you're playing at the same volume?

Edited by sh33p

welll we don't even know what the other options do yet...

unless you know.. care to tell us?

I have seen the Test mode of Both HD5 & HD3 they both have same Test modes .They don`t have anything for tweak (except for SP setting )..I`m 100% sure that the Test mode of A3000/A1000 is not going to be different at all .

Trust me !

Thankyou so much guys! Thats amazing. Its like a completely different player. If its any help apparently the innards of the A-1000 are pretty much identical to those of the HD-3. Right thats one thing..anyone any idea how to get Artist link, and the intelligent shuffles working without CONNECT. Fought for a day just to transfer half my music collection. Its more unstable than anyhting I've ever seen. Im using SS 3.3 - which when I installed it yesterday I thought the most beautiful piece of software ever written - thats how bad CONNECT is. But at the mo to get the shuffles working I have to boot connect, wait til its done accessing the player (watch the player for this, not connect) and then ALT-F4 it. Then they work, but I'm sick of the 4 min+ loading time. Also Artist link doesnt work with any of my mp3s which were ripped and tagged by WMP. Even the stuff I put on with connect won't work - although I didnt let it go online and 'update' my tags..probably do them in Welsh or something..and then crash..

Any help or ideas would be much apprecieated. BTW I bought my player here in the UK and I can confirm that all the EQ settings work with MP3's. Also another useful thing to know is that the knew firmware, contrary to sonys press release also speeds up the player. Honest. Both on switch on and to a lesser extent naviagtion.

Thanks again guys.

Hi, can someone please help me, I had a look through the test menu after I took the limiter off and now it seems to have crashed on me with the word: 'START' and I can not figure a way of turning it off or removing the battery???

SomeT,

Please don`t put the same question everywhere in future.

Anyone wants to help SomeT .Help here

http://www.atraclife.com/index.php?showtopic=760&hl=

I'm itching to try this but can't find the "link button" :S

I've got a black NW-A3000

Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

The Link Button is the awkward thing that sticks out on the top left corner of the player, opposite the volume switch. It turns orange when you turn it on.

It's clear and quite stiff so press it hard and remember to hold it while you're entering the key sequence.