ATRACLife..

Rate this topic

MZ-NH1

I will leave Chris to elaborate this new endeavor.  wink.gif

10th MEMBER YEH!!!!

If some like Chris could give us all a little discription about that new forum it would be good.

Any maybe a list of what exactally should be posted there (i.e. what kind of devices it supports) I think it would be very benificial.

Good eye, NH1! Yes, I realized after incessant discussion of non-Minidisc ATRAC devices at MDCF that there was a serious void on the Internet for discussion focusing on ATRAC-related devices. Whilst most participate at websites such as DAPreview, avforums, Head-Fi, or even Sony TR World - it was apparent that I could foster a community of all of these users, bring them together, and possibly create an invaluable resource for information and related discussion.

All further topics related to anything non-Minidisc (even software related) that uses ATRAC will be directed to ATRACLife Colloquium.

Thanks for the update Chris! Understand the new web site a lot better now!

So, MDCF is for everything Minidisc related, including Minidiscs, Recordings, Headphones... yeh?

And everything else like SS, the HDD players and the lot are for the other forum.

Good work mate! I recon you are making a huge leap in support for Sony customers, and should be acknowledged by Sony!

A lot of the sarcastic humor on DAPreview, Engadget and Gizmodo and other blog-form news sites are IMHO (and I mean it with a capital H) a tad crude and way too local. They're like gross swinger occasions where people get together and have orgies laughing at how deformed this or that culture is. This is definitely not conductive to the informative purpose of the sites, not to mention a very big disservice to people from countries other than the editors' locale.

Economy of language is a virtue when you may be presenting to people whose English is very different from yours, perhaps of a lower competency. I regularly see very long Americanized sentences (that are combinations, i.e. saying several things at once) get mistranslated - I think shorter, simpler would've been a good idea. And also have a cap on the local humor content.

Like the news of PSP firmware - every site picked up on the Portable TV service Sony was launching in Japan, and insist on laughing at how irrelevant that is, but they do nothing to cover what really matters to people reading from the rest of the world - in this case, the long list of features added. Example #2: Japanese corps have in general had somewhat soporific-looking presentation slides at their info sessions, if anyone follows Impress Watch or ITmedia regularly you'll see my point. No, some news sites just have to keep going on about how fake they are, how the pics must've been photoshopped.

Not to mention some things they make fun of, they've done so many times and they forget and they start again (there's been a venture called Fujitsu-Siemens for years, which doesn't imply anything about Fujitsu buying or selling any of its vital organs in the meantime). My gripe with that as a reader : oh God, someone musta thought that's funny! But it just annoys like the M$ office genies.

Edited by Leon

I regularly see very long Americanized sentences (that are combinations, i.e. saying several things at once) get mistranslated - I think shorter, simpler would've been a good idea.

Leon, I just had to laugh at this excellent example of a very long Americanized sentence. Good one!

I have returned my Network Walkman to Circuit City because of SonicStage difficulties (strangely, these difficulties don't appear with my MD units), so I have no more reason to sign up/visit the ATRAC forums. It's a sensible idea, though.

I'll still be poking around here periodically. Got to decide whether it's worth buying Hi-MD now that I don't have a flash player...

D.

I have returned my Network Walkman to Circuit City because of SonicStage difficulties (strangely, these difficulties don't appear with my MD units),

D.

Donna,

What kind of problems did you have with your 507? I was just going to buy one of these the other day.

Thanks

Weaves

Everything was fine for about a week of uploading music and listening. Then the other day I plugged it in to do more uploads. Sonic Stage automatically launched, as usual, and it didn't see the unit (usually it's in the Transfer list). Then SS shut down unexpectedly and Windows gave me an unspecified error and told me to contact Sony. We didn't see the unit in the drives list, either; after that point, it would pop up in My Computer for a few seconds, then vanish, then reappear, then vanish, and so on.

After a long time of disconnecting, rebooting, reconnecting, browsing Sony help, contacting Sony customer service, etc. etc. etc., we finally gave up. It worked fine on my husband's PC, with his cable and Sonic Stage, but on mine it just didn't work. (SS did see my MD unit which is still connected to the PC, though.)

In the end I decided it was more worth it to save the $ and keep on usin' MD. Luckily we were not yet 30 days from my purchase date!

Sony's customer service was no help at all, as usual. They kept telling me to read the knowledge base, which of course had nothing in it about this problem.

Donna,

I just had mine for about a week now. I have downloaded one artist (Clumsy Lovers) about six CD's, erased and download another artist (Great Big Sea) about 6 albums so far no problems.

Also, the very first thing I did was dowload the 2.0 firmware. This seems to have come out to coincide with SS 3.2. Also, I unchecked the "Start SS when detecting and ATRAC device" option in SS.

Thanks for your experience though. This is an awesome little device.

Weaves

Edited by Weaves

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A lot of the sarcastic humor on DAPreview, Engadget and Gizmodo and other blog-form news sites are IMHO (and I mean it with a capital H) a tad crude and way too local. They're like gross swinger occasions where people get together and have orgies laughing at how deformed this or that culture is. This is definitely not conductive to the informative purpose of the sites, not to mention a very big disservice to people from countries other than the editors' locale.

just FYI - the purpose, content, and flavor of dapreview is entirely up to us, because, you know, it's ours. you don't have to visit if you don't like it, k? thanks.

sincerely,

the crude and sarcastic folks at dapreview.net