Crystal Blue Hi-MD Blanks

Rate this topic

I am still awaiting my first Hi-MD unit on 08/01. An MZ-RH10. I had an MD deck back in 1995 and loved it. So I'm all psyched and went out to get some media for it this afternoon ast radioshack.

I figured I'd be lucky to find even one of the standard blue and orange large case Hi-MDs. To my suprise I bought all they had which was two standard Hi-MDs and 6 Crystal Blue smaller cased Hi-MDs. The cases are closer to regular MD size.

I have seen topics of people trying to track these down. My opinion is that sony is just switching to these newer designs and maybe thats why supplies have been slim. I'm in Washington DC and I just found these prominently displayed on a shelf at radio shack with all their other media.

##############

Here are some photos

##############

[attachmentid=479]

[attachmentid=480]

[attachmentid=481]

[attachmentid=482]

[attachmentid=483]

[attachmentid=484]

[attachmentid=485]

[attachmentid=486]

[attachmentid=487]

[attachmentid=488]

[attachmentid=489]

post-11832-1122065064_thumb.jpg

post-11832-1122065077_thumb.jpg

post-11832-1122065098_thumb.jpg

post-11832-1122065115_thumb.jpg

post-11832-1122065130_thumb.jpg

post-11832-1122065143_thumb.jpg

post-11832-1122065156_thumb.jpg

post-11832-1122065180_thumb.jpg

post-11832-1122065193_thumb.jpg

post-11832-1122065205_thumb.jpg

post-11832-1122065221_thumb.jpg

SWEET!

Thanks for the Info.

I made a post a while back saying how much I hated the old large cases of the 1GB HI-MD's -- and the general consensus was thjat most other people did too.

Nice to see these new one's --hopefully they'll be available here soon.

BTW if you really want standard size "Blue" cases for your MD's you can buy them in packs of 10 from Media-Markt in Hamburg (DE) not sure of the Internet address but Googling will find it.

Cheers

-K

Are they exactly the same price as the old ones ?

Yes they were $6.99 USD each. Exactly the same as the older ones. I found some more last evening at another radio shack and the lady said that they were the newer ones they had gotten in. So yes I do believe that these are replacing the older large case media and that is the reason they are so scarce. Not because it's disappearing any time soon cool.gif

Yes they were $6.99 USD each. Exactly the same as the older ones. I found some more last evening at another radio shack and the lady said that they were the newer ones they had gotten in. So yes I do believe that these are replacing the older large case media and that is the reason they are so scarce. Not because it's disappearing any time soon  cool.gif

I'll have to start wild-goose chasing these, then.....

The RadioShack website still lists the HMD1G, not the HMD1GL, and at that, it says no stores by me have them (I bought the last one in the city). So I guess I'll have to pay some visits personally......

That, or see if my Sony Style store gets them - albeit they've had TONS of HMD1Gs for quite some time.

Well, I tried my wild-goose chase at my local RatShack.

Just as I expected - no such luck.

The first sales clerk said there wasn't such a thing as a 1gb MD blank, and when I popped the disc out of my RH10, she looked at me absolutely dumbfounded.

The manager then claimed that it was a corporate decision to drop 'em, as they never sold well. He claimed the one they had took forever to sell (which they sold to me), and that in addition, Sony was 'discontinuing Hi-MD technology altogether' because they were clearing out NH-600Ds.......but they could order some blanks for me........

I'm sure the manager hates me by now for giving him a hard time, but he's proven to me repeatedly that he absolutely has no clue about anything - let alone Hi-MD.

I'd rather buy from a place that has them in stock, or order them from a site that ensures me that I can get the clear-blues. I'm really looking forward to them.

Look for them at your local Fry's.  The Fry's in City of Industry, CA has tons of these (about 20ish), of which I now have two.  I'll need to go get some more tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice. Fry's in South Phoenix had 5 for $6.99 ea. Now they have 2. smile.gif

wow, i feel so olden now. i've used the one disc that my nh1 came with for almost a year now, and just bought another g disc about a week ago. its still in the wrapper, and its the jdm version. but that blue one just makes me drool rolleyes.gif

I was looking at the case on my original style Hi-MDs the other day wondering what the reason for the broad orange/red stripe down the side was - then I compared it with a normal MD case, and the answer came clear - it's to remind you just how much space each of the Hi-MD cases wastes!

Looking forward to the new crystal blue versions in their new smaller cases....

Peace,

Michael

I have seen the new blue Hi-MDs in Toronto (Canada) for over 2-3 months now. I have found them in better Hi-Fi shops and even in some dollar stores (where you can find regular MDs). I only saw them once at the Sony Stores here and then they were promptly gone. They tend to be $10 (Canadian) in most shops and $11.50 (Canadian) at the Sony Stores.

Funny enough you still can't find the new second gen Hi-MD models here in Canada at Hi-Fi shops or the Sony Store for that matter. The only place that appears to have these players is http://www.minidisc-canada.com/. It also looks like they just got these new blue Hi-MDs in too (they ship all over the place if you are dire for them). http://www.minidisc-canada.com/shopexd.asp?id=435.

Interesting enough the new blue Hi-MDs that I have bought to date don't have the same cover on the shrink-wrap. Instead of this picture they have a hued blue dot.

Edited by schirrey

Wow, I wasn't aware of these new nice looking Hi-MDs; thanks for sharing and doubly for the pics. I've been waiting for Sony to release a nice looking 1GB; it seemed to me that they could have made the originals look a lot better if they had been black with a nice tech blue stripe instead of the navy/orange coloration.

Looks nice. I went to my Sony Style store today, and they still had loads of the big purple discs there. But, conversely, the sales clerk was an MD fan, and did take my name and number, and promised to hold a few for me when they come in.

I think I'm going to leave it at that much for the time being - I think I've recorded on maybe 2 out of 7 of my blanks at the time being; getting more isn't really that urgent.