Data recording on a Hi-Md

Rate this topic

alternatives6.1

Hi, i'm new to the forums.  I just ordered a RH910 and I've heard that you can record data with it.  I was wondering if anyone can show me a guide to the process, or tell me here.  I read it's pretty slow in another post, but i'm pretty patient.

Thanks

You just have to connect the hi-md to the computer and you will see a new drive in "My computer" (if you are using windows). Now , you just have to copy files in the same way that you do to copy files to a floppy. Very easy.

If your computer doesn't recognize your himd unit when you conect it, you must install the drivers ( you can download the drivers and other stuff from the download section in the MDCF).

One more thing. You can only copy files to Himd discs (1GB) or to normal (80 min) discs that are reformated in Himd mode.

Sebastian

thanks everyone, I didn't expect it to be that simple. I should be getting my unit in about a week.

Make sure sonicstage is not running at the same time when drag&drop, then it doesn't work. Hope you like your unit! happy.gif

hi everyone, i'm new to the forum.

looking forward to buy RH910, as my N505 died a month ago.

i've been reading manual from the web and one thing seems strange: it's said that 2nd gen units can read mp3 without converting it into atrac3, but there's no word about transfering it anyhow (sonicstage software or 'my computer' browser way). i guess it can be done just as .jpg, .bmp files they're writing about. but actually in manual there's no word about mp3. i know sony's not getting well with that thing, i heard about some 'high frequency cutting bug' in the units (hope there will be some way to pass it).

anyone have experience with transfering mp3? i heard not all of them are working. how's with vbr ones?

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

You have to use Sonicstage to transfer music files to minidisc. First you import your music library to sonicstage and then download to md. Or use a little program called Simpleburner if you only want copy a cd to MD without leaving any files to PC.

File transfer to md is very simple because MD unit appears like external drive in My Computer or filebrowser. Then just drag&drop files. You can put music AND datafiles to same disc. I don't have 2nd gen unit but I don't think the mp3 quality is a big disaster, but somebody who knows better can tell you more about it.

Edited by L7R

Yes, there are some flaws in the frequency curves, but what I've found there's some ways to make it bearable.

Have you read this thread? There's some information about it.

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showt...indpost&p=58625

However, Ipod mini's frequency response is nothing near flat, but people doesn't complain it at all. On the contrary, some person even said it sounds more "audiophile" than some flagship MD (kurisu might remember that "head-fier's" poor review?). laugh.gif

...everybody has different ears. whistling.gif

Edited by L7R