Another LP2 or HiLP+ question

Rate this topic

Joe Hendrix

If your only choice in recording was LP2 (132kb) or HI-LP plus (64kb), which one would you choose, and why?

Though I've never actually used ATRAC3plus, if I could only choose between those two I'd definitely choose ATRAC3 (LP2) @ 132kbps over ATRAC3plus (Hi-LP) @ 64kbps. Why? Well because despite Sony's optimism I just can't see a file at half the data rate being truly "as good" as the 132kbps file. In fact I've read the same comments from other people. Though Sony says ATRAC3plus at 64k is as good as ATRAC3 at 132k, it is more like wishful thinking than reality.

comaprison between Hi lp and Lp4 might be more appropriate.. in this case lp2 is clearly better

That would be true if not for Sony trying to make the claim that ATRAC3plus at 64k is "as good" as ATRAC3 at 132k. I don't deny that ATRAC3plus should be better than ATRAC3 at the same data rate and perhaps with ATRAC3 even a little higher, but at twice the data rate, I just don't see it. And judging by people's comments here that assumption seems to be correct.

Hello,

For me Lp2 is better than Hi-Lp, but that depends on what kind of music you want to record. For example if you want to hear something that has cymbals, like rock music, you will hear a kind of flanger, but if you like balads I feel you can record in Hi-Lp without losing to much fidelity.

Also depends where you hear it, if it´s a noisy place or not.

When I bought my Hi-Md i record all in Hi-Lp, but now I prefer Lp2

I won't use LP4 or Hi-LP (64 or 48kbps) any more now for any kind of music, it's just too painful to listen to. They are both really good for voice recording (radio etc), so they have their place for sure... I just regret my early Hi-MD compilations where I made the mistake of cramming any 'free' space with Hi-LP tracks... won't do that again (similarly with LP4). Shame there isn't an in-between, say 128kbps (Hi-LP2?) format for Hi-MD - now that would be a perfect system...

It seems that the verdict would lean in favor of LP2, out of those two choices. Seems odd that the "new technology" did not win out. I think that Sony just tried to make Hi-LP just too small of a stamp not to win out in the size/quality race. They should've made Hi-LP at least 96kb, or 128 to have beaten out LP2. Too bad.

It seems that the verdict would lean in favor of LP2, out of those two choices.  Seems odd that the "new technology" did not win out.  I think that Sony just tried to make Hi-LP just too small of a stamp not to win out in the size/quality race.  They should've made Hi-LP at least 96kb, or 128 to have beaten out LP2.  Too bad.

they just did with SonicStage 3.2 tongue.gif although not on current MD models

"they just did with SonicStage 3.2 although not on current MD models"

Two things:

1.- If not availabe in current MD, then is like it doesn´t exist, only for HDD

2.- For what I read Atrac+128 hardly compete with Lp2 so it´s not a big improve.

I had things in Hi-Lp and seems great for me, specially for having 33 hours in one MD, but I get tired of the sound and change back to Lp2, but I still have things in Hi-Lp that sounds nice enough.