How Do You Pronounce Atrac

Rate this topic

ROMBUSTERS

How Do You Pronounce Atrac?  

1. 1. How Do You Pronounce Atrac?

• Eh-Trak
    • Ah-Trak
    • Other

After watching the Sony guy speaking about the new Hi-MD recorders I noticed the way he pronounces Atrac is different from how I have always said it. To me Atrac should be pronounced close to 8-Track but with obvious differences. The sony man however chose to say it with a more A-Track sound. How do you pronounce Atrac or is it different than those I have stated?

After watching the Sony guy speaking about the new Hi-MD recorders I noticed the way he pronounces Atrac is different from how I have always said it. To me Atrac should be pronounced close to 8-Track but with obvious differences. The sony man however chose to say it with a more A-Track sound. How do you pronounce Atrac or is it different than those I have stated?

Yeh I realised that as well ey!

I say it - A-track

It's true. The real pronunciation should be Ah (as in CAT) trak - try to do it guys, I heard it in the video of this sony guy speaking about the new HI-MD recorders.

Is the guy Japanese? Cause ATRAC in katakana suggests "Ah" trac, but that'd be because the Japanese language is that way, not an indication that Sony intended it as Argh-trac for native English speakers as well.

And I have in fact never said the word in real life smile.gif

Considering that it's a

...whatever that thing is called...first letter of each word...

and all the words in it are English

It should be pronounced as if it were an English word.

Hence, Ay-Track

Also, Sony was created to sound as if it were an American company and not sound "asian" like Honda, etc. and all of their names have been this way since the beginning.

Edited by D-EJ915

It's true. The real pronunciation should be Ah (as in CAT) trak - try to do it guys, I heard it in the video of this sony guy speaking about the new HI-MD recorders.

. . . .and then we could go on to ponder whether we should say SO-nee, or Son-EE . . . wink.gif

Andrew (for work I use a Nikon, not Ny-kon!)

The "A" letter in atrac is for Adaptative. So , I pronounce the "a" as in adaptative and ... track.

Hmm, pronounced as in 'attractive'?

I still think many Minidisc owners use the Ay -trac pronunciation, maybe because we are accustomed to saying eM Pee Three.

Somehow a distict first syllable 'sounds' better.

Or maybe there is just a cross-Atlantic difference, like many other words.

Andrew