NH900 drop-outs

Rate this topic

cornelisge

From time to time the sound of my NH900 (with 1Gb disc) falls out; sometimes less than 1 second, but other times more seconds or up to a minute.

The counter is running normally. The cause is not the music itself, because repeating the same track gives normal sound.

Most of the times it plays normally, but randomly a shorter or longer drop-out occurs.

Did anyone encounter the same problem? Or has someone any idea of the cause.

I'm afraid, I have to return the device for repair.

This would be the 2nd time (the first time the display fell out).

I use to have the same problem. This thing only happened to 1Gb discs. Search the forums for a post about gaps of silence or something like that. I had to send my unit for an exchange. I have used the same "ex-defective" discs with this unit and they work great now. Before I sent the unit to Sony , I tried several Himd discs. Do it too. Or better, try to test the same "defective discs" in another Himd. Have you tried to clean your unit with a lens cleaner? You should do that before everything else.

I use to have the same problem. This thing only happened to 1Gb discs. Search the forums for a post about gaps of silence or something like that. I had to send my unit for an exchange. I have used the same "ex-defective" discs with this unit and they work great now. Before I sent the unit to Sony , I tried several Himd discs. Do it too. Or better, try to test the same "defective discs" in another Himd. Have you tried to clean your unit with a lens cleaner? You should do that before everything else.

Thanks for your reply. I have searched the forums, but I think my problem is different, because the disks are fine. The gaps are fully at random and occasionally (from never to once or twice during half an hour or so). If I repeat the part that gave the silence, it plays fully normal.

I have returned the unit for repair, so I am awaiting the results.

It happens with several discs. If, after the drop-out, I replay the same track or part, it is flawless.

So indeed I think the unit is faulty.

try to play a HiMD via usb in sonicstage when connected to the pc.

if there are no dropouts then, the problem could be the remote cable or the headphones.

if there are dropouts too, it will most likely be the unit.

I luckily hadn't this problem yet with my nh900. It seems that sony made far better units in the past. my mz-r30 doesn't have one single software or hardware problem but the firmware of the new models seem to be programmed quick and dirty...

• 3 weeks later...

I luckily hadn't this problem yet with my nh900. It seems that sony made far better units in the past. my mz-r30 doesn't have one single software or hardware problem but the firmware of the new models seem to be programmed quick and dirty...

Just an update. I got the unit back in about one week, so pretty quick.

They replaced what they call the OP assembly.

I have used it rather extensivelyafter the repair, but until now, it seems to work fine again.

So after this second repair (the first concerned the display), I hope it will work now without problems for a long time.

I have an MZ-R30 too and indeed this one has worked and still works without any problems.

Thanks for the answers.

Just an update. I got the unit back in about one week, so pretty quick.

They replaced what they call the OP assembly.

I have used it rather extensivelyafter the repair, but until now, it seems to work fine again.

So after this second repair (the first concerned the display), I hope it will work now without problems for a long time.

I have an MZ-R30 too and indeed this one has worked and still works without any problems.

Thanks for the answers.

same problem as me. But I got a exchange unit. Sony has a good policy about this kind of things. Congrats for the repair. Enjoy

Same problem to me today on my NH900.

I had several gaps in my first ever live-recording (beside the tests I did before) in PCM-format. When trying to upload the tracks with SonicStage it gave 'Internal Errors' on those tracks and didn't upload them to the Library and neither made WAV's of it. All other tracks worked out OK.

Now I uploaded the recording analogue straight into Cool Edit Pro over the soundcard and edited the skips out, which, offcourse, made some weird 'gaps' during the songs.

My problem is that I bought the Hi MD at Ebay from England (I'm from the Netherlands, but the MD was brand new when it arrived) and don't have a receipt from a store or something, so no guarantee from Sony (I already asked them).

Does anybody know what it would cost if I would bring my MD to Sony and let them repair it?

Thanks in advance!

My problem is that I bought the Hi MD at Ebay from England (I'm from the Netherlands, but the MD was brand new when it arrived) and don't have a receipt from a store or something, so no guarantee from Sony (I already asked them).

Does anybody know what it would cost if I would bring my MD to Sony and let them repair it?

What about contacting ebay directly. Maybe they will tell you what to do if you don't have the receipt. Good luck!

What about contacting ebay directly. Maybe they will tell you what to do if you don't have the receipt. Good luck!

I already contacted Sony yesterday and they simply don't accept Ebay as a shop or a seller, because Ebay itself is only a intermediate.

Sony says that I could have bought the MD second-hand and, in that case, I need the original receipt from the first owner so that they can check that the unit is still under guarantee.

On my argue that it was brand new they told me I have to contact the Ebay-seller for a receipt or a guarantee form, which I did yesterday.

I hope he will contact me. Otherwise I guess I have to pay the repair myself. sad.gif

To those who already let repair their unit:

Does anyone of you know what the exact problem was? Something with the OP I've been reading, but what does it mean?

When I called Sony yesterday they said they never ever heard about this problem. I pointed them to this forum and the guy on the phone said he would have a look at it tongue.gif

Tonight I'm gonna do some tests with the MD, I will record a CD, using my mics in front of the speakers and will see if there will be gaps or whatever in the recording afterwards. I want to know if it is only a problem when recording in the fields where the MD is shipped and moved or also when its steady on a desk...

Edited by MadMaster

• 2 weeks later...

They will, but the fee is usually so high that it's not worth it.

Update: I managed to get an invoid from the Ebay-seller in England, he has his own shop with all kind of technical equipment. thumbsup.gif

Today I drove to Sony Netherlands and they ask me for the original invoid which I could hand over. whistling.gif

Now the MD is in repair and it will be back in about 2 weeks.

If wanted, I will post an update after that.

• 3 months later...

Update:

Today I finally picked up my brandnew MZ-RH10 at Sony Netherlands after my MZ-NH900 couldn't be repaired.

Although it took several months for Sony to 'fix' the problem and replace the recorder, I think they handled well and gave a great service.

Hopefully I will have more luck with the RH10 than I had with the NH900.

Edited by MadMaster