DualDisc & SonicStage

Rate this topic

ROMBUSTERS

Quick Education: DualDiscs are a RIAA supported format that is basically a disc with one CD side and one DVD side. However because the CD side supports some changes (outlined below) it cannot be considered a true CD and thus is not playable on some audio equipment.

Changes:

There have mainly been three problems that consumers have had with DualDisc:

* The 1.5mm thick disc can get jammed in a very small number of slot-loading CD players (such as car CD players) and in mega-changers.

* The thinner CD layer can cause problems with a small number of CD players in the form of the CD player not being able to read the disc (see the section on spherical aberration).

* Because of the thinner CD layer on a DualDisc, it is harder for a CD player to read a DualDisc than a conventional CD. Thus, anomalies such as small scratches, fingerprints or disc tilt may overload the CD player's tracking servos and/or error correction system easier than those same anomalies would on a conventional CD. Since disc damage is inevitable over time, this can mean a reduction in a DualDisc's effective lifetime as compared to a CD. This complaint is the least frequent of the three, though this may be due to the fact that DualDisc technology is still very young as compared to conventional CD technology.

[Taken from wikipedia.org]

Now I was wondering if these changes effect in anyway the ability for SonicStage to read/encode/use the information found on these discs. I mean in one portion of the article it stated that in almost all dualdiscs the DVD side contains the album in high-quality DVDA except in the case of Sony's music releases which refuse to do this as DVDA is a competitor to their CD sucessor the Super Audio CD (SACD).

Anyone done any experiments with this?

It will pretty much depend on the drive that SS is using. If SS or Simple Burner can be fooled into thinking there is an actual drive when you're using one of Nero's or Alcohol 120's virtual ones, the physical properties of the media shouldn't matter to the software. The point is if the CD can or cannot be read as an audio CD by the system.

Yes. I have:

Nine Inch Nails -- With Teeth

Nine Inch Nails -- The downward Spiral

Judas Priest -- Angel of retribution

All of these are Dualdisc and all of them play ok and all of them rip ok via SonicStage and Cdex

I have a Liteon DVD+-RW writer and a LG DVD+-RW /DVD-RAM writer. Both these drives have no problem using the NIN discs, but my LiteOn struggled ripping the Judas Priest Album. The LG had no problem ripping any of these discs.

I also have a Yamaha CDC-675 CD Player and that plays these dualdiscs okay.

My KiSS DP-500 player has no problem reading the DVD side of these discs (The Judas Priest is just a making of while the NIN ones are a 5.1 mix of the music)