Recording problems with NetMD MZ-N1

Rate this topic

karamac

I'm hoping someone here can help me because I'm going out of my mind...

When I transfter tracks from my computer to my minidisc the songs transfer but when I play them back there is no sound! The track looks like it is playing (according to the time going by..) but I can not hear anything. I can only hear tracks I've recorded previously before I had this problem.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know what the problem might be??? Thanks a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem, with my MZ-N1. I acts as if the song has transfered fine, but when I go to play it back nothing is there. Infact it tells me blank disc, I tried 3 different brands of MDs, I've downloaded the latest sonicstage 3.2 I have sonic stage 3.1 and everything was working finr until monday. All of my old discs still play fine. Anyone got a fix?

I'm having the same problem !

but when I'm transfering 10 songs to my MD ..

5 of them are playable and 5 of them are not playable.

I can hear my other discs and have the latest SS (web installer).

anyway, I think your overwrite head is broken/filthy.

there are some instruction of cleaning it under the topic "unstable record !".

some guys help me there... I think this information with help you too .

I'm having the same problem !

but when I'm transfering 10 songs to my MD ..

5 of them are playable and 5 of them are not playable.

I can hear my other discs and have the latest SS (web installer).

anyway, I think your overwrite head is broken/filthy.

there are some instruction of cleaning it under the topic "unstable record !".

some guys help me there... I think this information with help you too .

laugh.gif

See if the line that shows output on the display is working. If you have sound output indication, then you have an audio/headphone problem. Otherwise, it appears that the record head is DOA, or as I have found, the main board is not sending the sound modulation to the disc. The record head is a very simple circuit, so unless someone stuffed some foreign material into the recorder and broke the record head wires, I would think the main board is at fault.

Hi!

I had the same problem (as many of us). Probably you have it also:

the tiny wire-pair the runs to the recording head is broken.

Sony services change only the whole head for too much money.

You can repair it yourselfs (I've done it also, see the instructions of the sticky BLANKDISC topic).

Unfortunately I have some strange issues since then:

Line-in recording works great (so I could patch the broken wire), but at USB recording, only the songs names are written to the disc (TOC Edit). The songs are with 0 sec and 1 sec lengths. It seems that the physical transfer is skipped at usb recordings.

I tried OpenMG Jukebox and Sonicstage as well.

Does anyone have some ideas about that.

I guess some usb-related chip is out on the board. But it might be also some software issue. Does anyone have experience in relation with that?

Thanks!

Regards!

many of us.... so scaring

I'm thinking of getting a secondhand N1.....

Hi!

I'm really sorry to say this: don't do it!

MZ-N1 units (and maybe other as well) have a serious design error.

The cable (printed thin stuff) going to the writing head is bending during play as well and cracks very often. This cable will not be changed separatly by sony services, only with the whole optics. That costs a lot, probably more than the second-hand price of such an unit.

This is really sad, Sony should shame itself for that failure, or rather, for not giving a solution for that.

Many of us has bought that "top brand" unit for a lots of bucks...

So, don't even think about buying this. Only if you get it for near free. Than if it works for 2 weeks, it will be rewarding still...

Buy an mp3 player, with no moving parts. Thats a half-guaranty for being massive.

Btw., I read some initations to collect ourselves together with this same problem and write to Sony. It's too late maybe, this model is obsolete, but maybe it would be worth still. Any opinions?

Cheers!

A sad.gif sony user...

Buy an mp3 player, with no moving parts. Thats a half-guaranty for being massive.

Btw., I read some initations to collect ourselves together with this same problem and write to Sony. It's too late maybe, this model is obsolete, but maybe it would be worth still. Any opinions?

Cheers!

sad.gif sony user...

Thank U very much for your long reply!

Actully, I have mp3 already. I buy MD only for recording purpose, wanna record some live concerts.

Those mp3s can use external mic are too expensive.

Okay, so if you want to use it for recording, then think twice again if it is worth to risk.

Even the ability of recording is in danger with this unit...

Regards,

misran

Thank U very much for your long reply!

Actully, I have mp3 already. I buy MD only for recording purpose, wanna record some live concerts.

Those mp3s can use external mic are too expensive.