Terrible noise in MZ-N910

Rate this topic

davidak

I have n910, it works without problems, but when I am skipping between tracks, it makes really terrible noise from uint case. It sounds like noise from rotating mechanism, not from laser driver. I have tried same MDs in brothers 909 and there was no problem. Does anybody know what coulud be bad and what to do with it?

Thanks a lot. I like when things work properly and this one makes me mad..

P.S. I have added that sound as attachment, it is mp3.

noisyMD.mp3

It sounds like noise from rotating mechanism, not from laser driver.

Wow cool that you made a recording of the noise! Actually it doesn not sound like the spindle motor but rather it sounds like a noisy sled. (The sled is what moves the pickup assembly side to side to read different parts of the disc.)

Why it is so noisy I can't be sure... You could try opening the lid and *gently* sliding the sled over to the end of the track (towards teh outside of the player) manually... Once you put in an MD again it will automatically track back towards the centre (where the spindle is). Sometimes sleds will get slightly misaligned and sometimes using the sled-slide trick will correct it. However I've never really encountered a noisy sled, usually if anything the problem is that it simply gets stuck and cannot move properly.

Replacement of the sled motor may correct the problem but I dunno if it is the motor making the noise or just the sled itself scraping as it moves or something. Either way if you aren't familiar with the internals of an MD unit or with any kind of repairs to electronics in general, you're probably looking at a trip to the service centre. If the unit is not under warranty then that may be costly. Since the unit still works fine you may just want to live with the noise and hope that it doesn't break. In any case I'd at least try the sled slide trick to see if that works (be careful though you don't want to break the sled or pickup assembly, just slide it over to the edge gently--it will often slide rather quickly after you push on it but that's okay).

I just got a mint 2nd-hand N910. I love it, so far, but it seems I keep reading comments about issues with the sled.

I have found that MD units need to be used on a regular basis or there tends to be trouble with the sled. My MZ-S1 (incidentally bought from MDX-400) recently needed to have me exercise the sled mechanism as it had trouble picking up tracks. After awhile, it worked fine but it had been sitting around for a couple months, unused.

I had the same issue with my E707 player as it wouldn't go through a whole disc, cutting out about 5 min before it was over, mainly on my few 75 minute + recordings; the sled was "sticky" and had to keep using the playback feature, slowly working further and further into the last track. Eventually, I got it unstuck.

• 4 weeks later...

I have just brought my MD player from warranty service. It is silent again! But I would like to tell everyone with this problem, take it to service center as soon as possible- repairman told me, SONY dont wanted to pay for repairs like this and that this was the last time they have done it.

The problem was in laser sled, some grain of sand or something like this was between motor wheels and teeth didnt pass togtether.