Simpleburner two finds no Audio CD's

Rate this topic

tommypeters

I had this hidden inside another thread, but I think it's better to move it to a thread with a descriptive name that's just about this problem...

Athlon XP2500+, 512MB RAM (soon 1GB), USB2.0

One DVD-ROM drive and one DVD Burner.

I have Win XP SP1 (no, I have a prog that doesn't like sp2, so can't upgrade right now)

Uninstallation done according to http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=8071

I have done installation of MDAC.INF in \windows\inf, since SonicStage first had DB problems.

SS3.2 and SB 2.0.04.18080. (latest versions)

I'm not sure if any codec packs have been installed on the system or not, I can't find anything that's installed now anyway so either it's removed or hasn't been installed. For DivX I use VLC which doesn't need codecs external to the program.

I have my EU NH600 connected with a formatted Hi-MD disc inside.

Have Symantec Anti-virus installed, but have now disabled it and unloaded the service.

SonicStage starts and the NH600 is recognized by the system, I haven't tried yet to record any music with it since SimpleBurner was what I was thinking of using. Will try that anyway, to get a complete picture - and if I can't get SimpleBurner to work I have to use SonicStage...

What is the problem then?

SimpleBurner doesn't recognize that I have a CD in any drive

I put a CD in any of the two drives I have, but SimpleBurner says there's no CD in the drive. It's no problem playing the CD with Foobar2k if I try.

The thing I will look into now is one virtual drive, G:, that is created at boot time by some SW I have. Nothing that shows up in the tray and has been there now for a year, so I have to search for where it comes from. That's the only thing I can thinl of now.

Any help/suggestions?

No, do you mean the existing "real" drives? or the virtual?

The real drives are pretty "high up" to be "out of the way". The DVD-ROM has L: (L)äs = Read and the DVD-Writer S: (S)kriv = Write. So nothing comes really close to them. The two virtual drives are G: and I:, and the NH600 has drive letter H:, I have never used G: or I:, so when I just find out which programs have had them automatically installed I will just remove them, not change their drive letters.

In Simpleburner I get a list box with G:, I:, L: and S: to choose from, so it doesn't seem too fooled by the virtual disks. But regardless if I put a CD in L: or S: it says there's no CD-Audio in it. Do you need auto-detect of inserted disks turned on? I can go to Explorer and see the cda tracks on the CD in L: and then after try in Simpleburner, but no difference...

Thanks for your suggestion, atrain, and for any coming suggestions and answers from you and other people.

IF I can find the installation discs... I installed the card a couple of years ago and it's not meant to work in XP with the original program and drivers. Someone made a "hack" so it should be somewhat usable in XP, combines some parts of the original with the new routines, and the sound part of the card doesn't work in XP - you have to use a separate sound card. And you need SW MJPEG drivers, those are BTW disabled when I try this.

It's a DC30Pro, BTW. Made by mIRO, bought by Pinnacle.

I tried to create a dir (in Explorer) and copy a file, open it, delete it and the file on H: - which is my NH600. No problems.

OK, then I'm SOL because the person that made the "hack" to make the card work under XP said that he couldn't get it to work under sp2 and will not do anymore work trying. It will be a couple of months then until I will have a sp2 installation. Or if we can find some other way to get it to work without installing sp2.

Do you know what in sp2 that may make it to work? I know that's not an easy question, the "dc30 hacker" who himself knew his code exactly couldn't find out what it was in sp2 that made that not work...

Is SimpleBurner a "Supported Product" by Sony? That seems like an oxymoron here in Sweden, where Sony has secret support email address...

You may want to run the MDAC/JET database utility we have in the downloads section. It will tell you what the most recent version of each is and also tell you what version you have. If you have a lesser amount, then update it. You can also repair JET/MDAC with this utility.

Also, what version of DirectX do you have?

I downloaded that utility and found out, as I knew, that there are newer versions on MS website. Since I don't know if these are the parts from SP2 that makes my card drivers not work I had to backup some parts of the system...

I then downloaded MDAC and JET update files from Microsoft and have installed them, I need a reboot however and have a program that needs 20 more minutes or so to be ready...

Yes SonicStage, apart from crashing after those four CD's were transferred, behaved quite nice and for what I will be using it (only full CD's --> Hi-MD) creates no extra hassle at all. And maybe, as suggested earlier, will SS3.2 be slightly better at the conversion job than SB2 so the sound quality may be a tad better.

My guess is that the crash was because of "out of memory", I had another program that uses up a lot of memory running at the same time. So if SS doesn't give more problems like that it seems a lot better than in "The Bad Old Days" of SS1.x.

I would however, still like to get SB to work as well, so I will continue with it after getting home today and having upgraded to 1GB RAM.

One thing I noticed with SimpleBurner was this, might be a clue:

If I didn't start the program at boot, the drop-down list box where you should be able to select source drive was always empty.

I configured it to start at boot, and then the list box was filled (though it didn't accept any drive as containing any audio CD).

When I boot it's not always that SB starts, sometimes I have to re-login. Seems to be disturbed by some other program, depending on which of them loads first (the load sequence in Windows is semi-random). I will look into for which programs I can disable boot-time loading.

BTW, should there be any problem with having an anti-virus program running at the same time?

MS Simpler Burner is dependent on 2 Windows services:

These are "MD Simple Burner DB Access Service" and "MD Simple Burner Service".

Using the servcies applet in Control Panel make sure these are started.

The first of these services requires that you specify a Windows account for the service to login as. This is done after you first install (or if you have re-installed). If you right-click on the icon in your system tray there should be in the context menu an option for "Windows Service" or something similar. Once this has been configure it disappears from the menu. Here you can enter the usrname and password - give it an account with local admin credentials on the machine.

Edited by richyhu

It's "Windows Configuration", and has always been grayed out on my SimpleBurner. Maybe the problem lies in there...

Is there anything to do other then complete uninstall/reinstall and hoping just to get lucky it's not greyed out next time? For instance some keys to look for and change in the registry?

You should just be able to change it via the services applet.

Go to start => run and type "services.msc" from the prompt (without quotes)

Find the service called "MD Simple Burner DB Access Service".

Double-click on it.

Go to the log on tab.

Change Local System account to "This account."

Browse for an account & type in manually the password twice.

Click apply.

You may get a message saying the account has been granted "log on as service rights"

Say OK.

Exit the simple burner icon in the system tray

Right click on the service and say restart

Re-launch simple burner

Try this and let me know how it goes

Edited by richyhu

I go to Services (I have the Pro version of XP, so it's in Administrative Tolos and not in the Control Panel, BTW) but find only "MD Simple Burner Service", not the one for DB Access. It's anyway possible to specify a login name and password there anyway, so I will try that. Thanks for your help.

Administrative tools is also in the control panel on my machine (classic view), but anyway it's strange you only have the one service in there... My normal MD Simple Burner service only runs as local system. It is the other one that requires a user logon.

Edited by richyhu

Yes, it's strange that service is missing. The other one shouldn't be changed, of course - it has to be run as local system to allow interaction with it. Maybe it has something to do with that I have updated MDAC/Jet and other things after the installation of SB, I'd probably better reinstall SB.

I do have SB 2.0.04.18080, it also says OpenMB Secure Module Version 4.2.00.06070.

Yes, it's strange that service is missing. The other one shouldn't be changed, of course - it has to be run as local system to allow interaction with it. Maybe it has something to do with that I have updated MDAC/Jet and other things after the installation of SB, I'd probably better reinstall SB.

I do have SB 2.0.04.18080, it also says OpenMB Secure Module Version 4.2.00.06070.

Yes exactly same as mine (Open MG module also) What version of MDAC did you install? 2.8?

Yes, the latest of MDAC (2.80.1022.3) and the latest of Jet I could DL from MS site not having SP2, 4.0.8015.

Hmmm I'm fast running out of ideas wacko.gif

Only thing I can think is uninstall Simple Burner:

Backup the following key (in case you need to roll back) by exporting it

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sony Corporation\MD Simple Burner

Then delete that from the registry taking care not to delete any thing else under the Sony Corporation folder.

Uninstall Simple Burner

Reboot

Re-install from downloaded version from MDCF

Edited by richyhu

Well, after having uninstalled Simple Burner in Add/Remove and then gone through the registry deleting everything left referring to SB (except a "Legacy SB Driver" that was undeletable!) I rebooted the machine. Then I installed SB again, and rebooted.

There's still no "MD Simple Burner DB Access Service" - only the "MD Simple Burner Service". So the problem is back to how it was... It's nothing more that should be done/installed than running the Setup.exe from MD_Simple_Burner_2E?

If I double-click the tray icon and open the program window I now get the drives L: and S: to chose from (haven't had that list box containing anything for more than a day, since I started downloading MDAC/Jet and other upgrades) - so it's at least not worse than it was at the beginning wink.gif

No better either, no drive is said to contain a CD Audio disc...

...and right-clicking the tray icon still has the "Windows Configuration" menu choice grayed out...

Yes, but that doesn't help.

When I boot SB makes an icon in the tray, the "Windows Configuration" is grayed out there. If I open the "Standard Interface" window I can click the CONFIG "button" and make selections, like choose CD drive. But it always says "No Audio CD in drive".

If I exit the program from the tray UI and then restart it from the menu, the list box in CONFIG doesn't list any drives to choose from at all. I tried burning an .nrg CD image with Nero and mount it, but that didn't work either.

It seems to be something that clashes with the "MD Simple Burner DB Access Service" and makes it not start, but I don't know if that is all there is to it.

fair enough i was just ruling it out

Couple of thoughts - possibly relevant possibly not...

The service for the DB Access Services basically points to:

C:\Program Files\Sony\MD Simple Burner\mdrcdb.exe

Check you have this file. You could install this as a service manually, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Couple of shots of my registry setting for Simple Burner, compare with yours and see if there any major differences: Notice in the main MD Simple Burner branch (see my attachment 1) - (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sony Corporation\MD Simple Burner) there is a key called DB User Path which points to another sub key (see attachment 2).

[attachmentid=575]

[attachmentid=576]

post-7571-1123939407_thumb.jpg

post-7571-1123939416_thumb.jpg

Couple more random thoughts...

I also use Daemon tools for Virtual CD drives and this gives me no problem. I have a virtual drive e: for mounting .iso images and CONFIG in the Simple burner options also me to use this no problem.

What drive letter is your physical drive? Maybe Simple Burner has an issue with drives beyond a certain letter.

Do you have the latest drivers for the drive unit?

Thanks for your continuing help smile.gif

In a Swedish Windows installation the App directory is C:\Program which the installation program also suggested, I didn't change the suggested path while installing any of the programs. The program C:\Program\Sony\MD Simple Burner\mdrcdb.exe is there.

Then I check the registry and I don't have the two keys DbUserPath and SupportURL seen in your first attachment. Otherwise there's no real difference there.

Checking the second attachment the key CDDBRegd is missing, otherwise nothing special (RecModeHi is 1 for me, but that's of course irrelevant). Selecting CDDB registration in the program has no real effect, I thought that that might have been that I had already registered CDDB in SonicStage (where it and everything else works, including using Daemon Tools). But that is probably because the key DbUserPath doesn't exist...

My physical drives are L: and S:, the Daemon Tools virtual is G:

At least one of the two drives has the latest drivers.

I found the key FirstRun and set that to 1 and rebooted.

That opened up the possibility to give a username and password and later also allowed me to register the program with CDDB.

If I mount an image with Daemon Tools and reboot, G: is still there at boot-up and SB goes to CDDB and recognizes the CD. Trying to copy it however gives an error message that there's something wrong with the CD. SonicStage can read and copy it, though. Trying the physical drives gives the response as before, an immediate "No Audio CD in drive!" ph34r.gif

I found the key FirstRun and set that to 1 and rebooted.

That opened up the possibility to give a username and password and later also allowed me to register the program with CDDB.

If I mount an image with Daemon Tools and reboot, G: is still there at boot-up and SB goes to CDDB and recognizes the CD. Trying to copy it however gives an error message that there's something wrong with the CD. SonicStage can read and copy it, though. Trying the physical drives gives the response as before, an immediate "No Audio CD in drive!"  ph34r.gif

Hi Tommy sorry for not replying sooner to your last post. The only other things I can think of are:

Is the physical CD drive the first available drive letter after the last hard drive partition? Eg: If E: is your last hard drive is it feasible to change your first CD drive to be F:?

The read me for Simple Burner says:

"Some CD player applications may cause conflicts with MD Simple Burner." Unfortunately it doesn't mention which exactly.. Anything out of the ordinary here?

I'm hoping somebody on this list can come up with something else in addition to what I've already tried - Anyone? blink.gif

I had the same problem and finally figured things out:

Simpleburner (as well as Sonic Stage) relies on the Windows Auto Play feature to detect an audio CD. I had diabled autoplay (as one should do) and had the sample problem as described in the first post. After reactivating autplay for cdroms via the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom, "AutoRun"=dword:00000001) simpleburner works fine - only that I now have the unwanted autoplay sad.gif

Thomas