Rich's MZ-DH10P Pictorial & Review

Rate this topic

Presenting my black MZ-DH10P. Enjoy!

(All images © Copyright 2005 - Richard H.)

Review:

Intro

Ok, so before we go any further with this review let's get one thing straight. This unit is a download only unit or a player. Not a recorder (contrary to what Sony's website might have you believe), so no optical in, no line-in, no mic-in etc.. Got that? Good ;-)

The unit referred to in this review is a Japanese MZ-DH10P, black. The only other HI-MD unit I have is an NH900 so I will make the occasional comparison between the two.

Build Quality

The build quality of this unit is exceptional. The entire outer casing is metal (not sure what kind), but the overall feel is reassuringly solid. The NH900 for example has a plastic backside (no pun intended). The unit is ergonomically pleasing with a slight curved shape that fits nicely into the hand. The sliding shutter for the camera side is the only major use of plastics on this player together with the right-side panel that incorporates the battery holder.

The front side of the unit is for the player and the back is for the camera. The battery compartment door as mentioned before is plastic on a hinge (similar to that of the NH1) and this may be the only weak point structurally, but nonetheless feels much less likely to break than that of the NH900.

The plastic on the LCD screen is fairly tough and seems quite difficult to scratch, no major damage after 2 months use, but to be honest I haven't being going out of my way to try.

The discs are loaded from the bottom in (ie. The front panel hinges at the top, not the bottom) which was something of a novelty, but the satisfying clunk with which the unit closes reinforces the feel of high quality build.

Operation / Menu System

The operation of this unit is extremely easy in both audio and photo modes. The LCD display is the star of the show, if you thought the RH10 looked good, then this possibly goes a step further. Photos do not do the quality of the display justice, the white and blue text on black is simply gorgeous to look at. The brightness of the display is extremely good even in sunlight, and extremely easy to read. Go easy on it though as it will eat up the battery.

The jog wheel is almost identical to that of the NH900, with the central button now functioning as Play/Pause (as opposed to simply play, with pause being on the stop button on the NH900) which in my view is more logical. Moving the central button up or down jumps between groups, with the volume controls now being on the outer right-hand side of the unit. There are 4 other buttons dotted around the corners of the jog-dial. Stop / Cancel, Search (allowing you to search the album covers, scroll through the groups, or the tracks within a group), Menu (for access to the main menus), and Display to cycle between the different display modes.

Mode 1 is track-time, with a progressive bar indicating how much of the track is left together with album art in the top left, title name, and artist name.

Mode 2 indicates group name, track name, artist name, album name

Mode 3 indicates info about the bit rate, remaining time and date / time from the Release Date tag from the tracks in Sonic Stage.

Mode 4 is an enlarged view of the cover art.

Menu navigation is the best I have ever seen on a minidisc unit. Organised hierarchically into 3 tabbed pages with each page having options and sub-options , use the jog dial to scroll up and down, left and right to jump in and out of the sub levels and press the central button to select (or just use the central button as a 5-way joystick). Any option is never more than a couple of clicks away. The best is the custom EQ where you a presented with the screen transformed into a six-channel mixer where again you can jump between sliders and crank them up or down by spinning the jog-dial.

The photo mode is equally easy to use, especially if you have ever used a Sony digital camera as the short-cuts are all the same. To switch to camera mode simply slide open the lens cover. There are 2 buttons on the top of the unit. The first is the shutter the second is to switch between photo shooting mode and photo viewing mode.

Again the 4-way joystick is used as I mentioned with the same shortcuts as most Sony digital cameras.

Right for Macro Mode

Left for Quick Review

Up for flash settings

Down for self-timer

The quality of the photos is not fantastic, but quite good for emailing and putting on the web. I generally take photos at 1280 x 960 Fine then reduce to 800 x 600 just so they look a little smoother. This is not my primary camera, but it is quite useful if I'm out on the road and need to mail a snapshot back to a colleague or my wife.

Playback

The most important feature for a lot of people (myself included) is how a unit sounds. The DH10P does not disappoint. The quality is second to none (of the units I have heard). The HD-Digital Amp is present unlike the RH10, but unlike other MD units this does not have the VPT virtual surround settings. This is no major loss however. Using the same phones, same eq settings and same music this unit to me sounds a bit better than the NH900. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it just sounds a little clearer, slightly more well-defined. Also worth noting is that this is the only second generation Hi-MD player capable of native MP3 playback through the HD Digital Amp. Anyway I am very, very impressed. Without a doubt one of the best sounding MD units to date.

Battery Life

Battery life is about 12-14 hrs at HI-SP with a couple of photos ad a little messing around with the menus. The battery is Li-on, but one downside is that it must be charged with the unit in the cradle. You can't plug the AC directly into the unit. The unit when connected via USB will not actively charge, it is merely running on USB power to download. This is good as I don't want it charging every time I connect it to my laptop even if it is a LI-Ion battery.

Accessories

The supplied accessories with the Japanese unit are an ac adaptor with 110-240V input, an RM-MC35ELK, Kanji-Capable remote, (unfortunately these are not color-coded as per the RH10, so the black & red DH10P still come with a silver remote -Minor niggle) 2 usb cables - -1 long, 1 short, the obligatory pouch, the charging cradle (colored to match the unit), a case for the battery, software discs (SS 3.0 / simple Burner), printed manual, guarantee and other small bits of documentation. Also included is another cord which at first I thought was the drawstring to the carrying pouch that had become detached, but is in fact a wrist strap that hooks through a small loop on the side of the unit. This is useful if you are using the camera and a nice thought. NH1 users will also be interested to hear that the USB cable can be connected to the charging cradle as well as to the unit itself.

Conclusion:

Overall I am extremely happy with this unit so far, especially the quality of the build and the outstanding playback, not to mention the to-die-for display. In the end though you need to make your own mind up, I just hope this review offers a bit more accurate info for those researching units and this model in particular.

Photos:

post-7571-1123679482_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1123679595_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1123679609_thumb.jpg

post-7571-1123679620_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1123679620_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1123679639_thumb.jpg

post-7571-1123679650_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1123679660_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1123679668_thumb.jpg

post-7571-1123679677_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1123679687_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1123679687_thumb.jpg

post-7571-1123679696_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1123679703_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1123679711_thumb.jpg

post-7571-1123679720_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1123679729_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1123679739_thumb.jpg

post-7571-1125041609_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1125041625_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1127834181_thumb.jpg

post-7571-1132738645_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1132738658_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1132738759_thumb.jpg

post-7571-1132738769_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1132738779_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1132738790_thumb.jpg

post-7571-1132738921_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1132738934_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1132738944_thumb.jpg

post-7571-1132739018_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1132739027_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1132739039_thumb.jpg

post-7571-1132739049_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1132739058_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1132749865_thumb.jpg

These are some of the best pictures of the MZ-DH10P I've seen anywhere. We've got a pictorial of the silver, black..we just need the red. wink.gif Thanks for your contribution! biggrin.gif

Thanks for the comments cool.gif The red unit looks real nice as well - not sure if anyone here has one though as it's a Sony Style JP Exclusive...

• 2 weeks later...

Some pics of my latest unit. Enjoy!

Pics below:

Some pics taken with the unit:

[attachmentid=742] [attachmentid=743]

I had to look at your sig after seeing your pics; this train station had to be in The Netherlands biggrin.gif

Nice unit by the way; these are the first real-life pics I've seen from the unit and they don't disapoint!

Edited by Ellen

I had to look at your sig after seeing your pics; this train station had to be in The Netherlands  biggrin.gif

Yes I travel around a lot with my work, this station is Echt on the way to Maastricht, in the middle of nowhere. Of course the guy waiting with the folding bike is a bit of a giveaway tongue.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I've got to go the other way on this one and say I'm not impressed with this unit. The camera isn't really much considering Sony has some fine Cybershot models, and there isn't a mic or line input. Overall, it wouldn't be bad if it sold for about half its retail price. But considering the cost, you're not getting much for your money. :rolleyes:

Edited by culp4684

I've got to go the other way on this one and say I'm not impressed with this unit.

You may not be impressed with the price, but I was offering my impressions based on having used the unit and being impressed with the build and sound quality. As I said in the review itself I'm not recommending everyone to buy this unit - it is expensive and you should make your own mind up.

Edited by richyhu

You may not be impressed with the price, but I was offering my impressions based on having used the unit and being impressed with the build and sound quality. As I said in the review itself I'm not recommending everyone to buy this unit - it is expensive and you should make your own mind up.

to be honest, i'm not very impressed about it too. although i wouldn't refuse it when i would recieve it as a gift :lol:

no to be honest, it's quite thick to be the top model, the front looks a bit too overdesigned and the 1.3 megapixels is a joke these days. but the screen itself is gorgeous... waaaaaaaw :blink::wacko::D

Gorgeous screen. Does it effect the battery life much?

As I said in the review, if you have it on all the time then it will have an effect on the battery. By default it switches off after about 30 seconds or so. Having said that I did notice once when I was viewing the display for a sustained period the battery meter went down, but after switching off the display it actually went up again.

Sorry for being so nieve, but has Sony uped the playable .mp3 bit rate to 320kb/s yet on the new 2nd gen models? or have they still stopped it at 120kb/s??

And does this have the aditional 'add on battery pack' where a battery can be attached for extra long playback?

Sorry for being so nieve, but has Sony uped the playable .mp3 bit rate to 320kb/s yet on the new 2nd gen models? or have they still stopped it at 120kb/s??

And does this have the aditional 'add on battery pack' where a battery can be attached for extra long playback?

You can play any MP3 (MPEG1 Audio Layer 3) vbr or cbr from 32Kbps up to 320kbps.

No add-on battery pack. This is because the internal battery is lithium ion and of a different voltage.

• 4 weeks later...

I have to admit that this is an awesome player. Forgive my ignorance, as I've been away with any MD players.

I have a few question:

1. Firstly, can it play atrac3plus @ 320kps?

2. Will it ever be available in other Asian countries?

3. Is the battery replacable?

Btw, is this model oso discontinued? Which means that there's no video Hi-MD player coming out?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by lxrichbirdxl

I have to admit that this is an awesome player. Forgive my ignorance, as I've been away with any MD players.

I have a few question:

1. Firstly, can it play atrac3plus @ 320kps?

2. Will it ever be available in other Asian countries?

3. Is the battery replacable?

Btw, is this model oso discontinued? Which means that there's no video Hi-MD player coming out?

Thanks in advance!

Atrac 320 is not playable on this unit.

This unit is already available in China & Hong Kong.

Yes. It takes the same battery as the NH1, EH1, NH3D (LIP-4WM).

It is not yet discontinued - it is a 2005 model.

Edited by richyhu

Thanks for some good news.

But I read that 2005 units should be able to play 320kps, from the Sony Hi-MD site.

They will play 320 MP3, but none of them play Atrac 320. Only the new connect players will play Atrac 320 along with PSP and flash players that are recognized as memory sticks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok - pictorial updated. Have included a couple of shots of photos on the display as per Greg's request, but this is very difficult to photograph given the luminescence of the display itself which is incredibly bright, but never appears as such in photos.

Also included comparison shots with other units for reference plus 1 new photo taken with the unit itself.

Enjoy! ;)

Edited by richyhu

Yes I travel around a lot with my work, this station is Echt on the way to Maastricht, in the middle of nowhere. Of course the guy waiting with the folding bike is a bit of a giveaway :P

If you live in Echt you probably know the town called Linne as well! Maybe we can meet some time to discuss some more about MD. I made a review about a pre-production DH10P myself once. Sadly it is only in Dutch but that will not be a problem for you:

http://www.mdcenter.nl/artikelen/sony_spri...dh10preview.php

If you live in Echt you probably know the town called Linne as well! Maybe we can meet some time to discuss some more about MD. I made a review about a pre-production DH10P myself once. Sadly it is only in Dutch but that will not be a problem for you:

http://www.mdcenter.nl/artikelen/sony_spri...dh10preview.php

I don't live in Echt - (I actually live in Den Haag) - I was just travelling to a client there, and took that photo whilst waiting for the train back. If I am ever down there again I can PM you to let you know.

Yes I read your excellent review of the DH10P - if I remember rightly it was one of the first and I certainly remember reading it before purchasing my own unit in July.

I don't live in Echt - (I actually live in Den Haag) - I was just travelling to a client there, and took that photo whilst waiting for the train back. If I am ever down there again I can PM you to let you know.

Yes I read your excellent review of the DH10P - if I remember rightly it was one of the first and I certainly remember reading it before purchasing my own unit in July.

Yes, it was one of the first reviews. Sadly up till now I still don't have an English translation (partly because it is such a thorough and long review).

I just uploaded a (partly) translated English version. Hopefully I'll get the rest translated soon:

http://www.mdcenter.nl/artikelen/sony_spri...0preview_en.php

Edited by MDfreak

is it possible to set a cover art on the DH10P for an album from a saved picture on the HiMD disc, say the original cd cover of an artist?? I ask this because the manual says that the cover art is possible only for the pictures that were shot using the camera... Im saving for my next player and that might be a key factor B)

is it possible to set a cover art on the DH10P for an album from a saved picture on the HiMD disc, say the original cd cover of an artist?? I ask this because the manual says that the cover art is possible only for the pictures that were shot using the camera... Im saving for my next player and that might be a key factor B)

Yes it is Possible!!! I make it with my DH10P unit!

Just add the cover picture (scanned from the original) in sonicstage' library to the album proprety before transferring to the md . Album is necessary because DH-10p need folder to associate to a cover.