A new mini disc like my old one

Rate this topic

trichobezoar

Hello

I have two Sharp MD MT15s. I bought those about 4 or 5 years ago. I consider them to be work horses. I need to buy some new mini disc recorders for my school for students to use for field recording (audio documentaries, broadcast journalism assignments). They don't sell this model new anymore. I have to buy new ones. What I liked about the Sharp was that it wasn't too small. I had a Sony model for awhile and it made this loud whirling noise when it played and recorded. I checked it and it did the same on other similar models as well. That is a real pain if you use a T-mic. I know that the new mini disc recorders can transfer files over to the computer once they are recorded. The lab I work in has Macs and PCs. I'd like to recorder that can do both. I love those new $300-$400 Sony's (or at least what they claim to be) but looking for something cheaper. Thanks for your help.

Rock on Mini disc. I'm so sick of people saying "why don't you use an IPod" Ahhh. I love my IPod, but come on. . . That's like using a VCR to shoot a film. . .

Todd

Hello

I have two Sharp MD MT15s. I bought those about 4 or 5 years ago. I consider them to be work horses. I need to buy some new mini disc recorders for my school for students to use for field recording (audio documentaries, broadcast journalism assignments).  They don't sell this model new anymore. I have to buy new ones. What I liked about the Sharp was that it wasn't too small. I had a Sony model for awhile and it made this loud whirling noise when it played and recorded. I checked it and it did the same on other similar models as well. That is a real pain if you use a T-mic.  I know that the new mini disc recorders can transfer files over to the computer once they are recorded.  The lab I work in has Macs and PCs. I'd like to recorder that can do both.  I love those new $300-$400 Sony's (or at least what they claim to be) but looking for something cheaper.  Thanks for your help.

Rock on Mini disc. I'm so sick of people saying "why don't you use an IPod" Ahhh. I love my IPod, but come on. . . That's like using a VCR to shoot a film. . .

Todd

You might consider going on e-bay and looking for used SHARP recorders. The old machines are definitely easier to use (fewer functions means easier to explain to students). I use the latest Hi-MD machines, but have suggested used machines to musician friends who are very happy with them. My wife still uses an old Sharp just because she is used to it.

You should be sure to understand enough about Hi-MD to be sure you want it. There are lots of advantages, but the disks you record on the newest (2nd generation) Hi-MD units are not directly playable on the old machines without converting them on a computer.

As far as new Sony Hi-MD machines go, the MZ-RH910 is a good value at about $200. Any new machine with a mike input will cost close to that. Personally I use the Sony MZ-RH10. The bright light up display is perfect for live recording because it's so easy to read which makes it easy to avoid dumb mistakes.