is Antishock Problem still exist on a new models?

Rate this topic

I bought my md mzr500 4 years ago

time past aways and i realised that i want some new model / RH10 looks exactly fine

My old md got a problem with antishock /I mean in lp4 he got more than 300 seconds of antishock but anyway it wasnt enough for jogging runnig etc . After a minute of running sound always been lost because of trembing /

I wonder what is current situation with new models

tnx u guys

I don't do jogging or running or anything, but I've got a RH10 and I've had it skip a few times on me while I'm walking along.

Although:

1. The unit doesn't go silent as my old units did, but it actually does skip and play back a different part of the track/disc.

2. When I say 'a few times' I mean maybe once every few days, walking a route I do twice a day... so not that much, really.

3. My 'walking' pace is about 5 miles/hour.

I don't do jogging or running or anything, but I've got a RH10 and I've had it skip a few times on me while I'm walking along.

Although:

1. The unit doesn't go silent as my old units did, but it actually does skip and play back a different part of the track/disc.

2. When I say 'a few times' I mean maybe once every few days, walking a route I do twice a day... so not that much, really.

3. My 'walking' pace is about 5 miles/hour.

hmm

that sounds not encourageous

man a u sure that isnt yr record skiping? if not that md technology shock is still crap

Well, that memory isn't for "constantly shocking"...

I can go out running in hilly terrain for an hour/say with my NH600 in Hi-SP mode and never get any skipping. But not if I believe that it's "Sony's problem" and treat it like a yo-yo... I have it in a small "Samsonite Trekking" digital camera case which I hold in my hand, pretending I'm a waiter serving four glasses of champagne.

hmm

that sounds not encourageous

man a u sure that isnt yr record skiping? if not that md technology shock is still crap

It's definitely not the record - it happens on files which I know for a fact are recorded correctly. The thing does tend to get jolted around quite a bit in my pocket though, and - like I said - it doesn't happen much.

...though if you're wanting a MD unit for running or jogging I imagine the effect would be more pronnounced. That said, if you wore it secured around you waist or whatever it might not skip as much (vs. rattling around in someone's pocket.)

another important fact is that the lower the bitrate the more information can be stored into the buffer and thus a longer amount of continuous shock to the device before actual skipping occurs.

Because HiMD's support PCM I suspect that they buffer at least 10seconds of PCM/WAV. Doing some math PCM has a bitrate of 1411kbps.

This is roughly 1411/8 = 176.4KB/s (note this is slightly different than a CD-ROM 1x speed of 150KB/s - maybe someone can explain why>)

Anyways assuming there is at least a 10second PCM buffer that means we need 176.4KB/s * 10 = 1,764KB/s or ~ 1.8MB buffer.

Using this very basic math (and assuming a very small buffer of about 2MB) you can see by the following how long you would have before it skips.

PCM 1411kbps ~ 10seconds

Atrac3+ 256kbps ~ 55.125seconds

Atrac3 132kbps ~ 107seconds

Atrac3 66kbps ~ 214seconds

Atrac3+ 64kbps ~ 220.5seconds

Atrac3+ 48kbps ~ 294seconds

So as you can see using a decent bitrate of LP2 (132kbps) and assuming a very low (i actually assume HiMDs have a larger buffer than 2MB but I have not done any tests) you would get nearly 2mins worth of music before noticing a skip.

I wouldn't even consider to torture an optical device like that. Nothing beats a flash player for heavy walking.

That would be assuming you have one tongue.gif

Besides, I'm not going to mess around with another device (when I prefer MDs over everything else) just because for every 7 or so hours of playback while walking the MD skips once for... a few seconds! ohmy.gif

Well, that memory isn't for "constantly shocking"...

I can go out running in hilly terrain for an hour/say with my NH600 in Hi-SP mode and never get any skipping. But not if I believe that it's "Sony's problem" and treat it like a yo-yo... I have it in a small "Samsonite Trekking" digital camera case which I hold in my hand, pretending I'm a waiter serving four glasses of champagne.

eaahh man

grabbing yr md and absorbing and gliding all shocking things by muscles in hands is one thing and having md in yr pocket is another thing

try and u will see the difference

may be its suits u best holding md all the way of doing trip but not for me

I used my MZ-N510 NetMD a couple of times during running and it never skipped. I think it's important that it doesn't move too much (I used the carrying pouch that came with the unit).

Maybe the skipping is a sign that your running shoes have worn out. smile.gif

eaahh man

grabbing yr md and absorbing and gliding all shocking things by muscles in hands is one thing and having md in yr pocket is another thing 

try and u will see the difference

may be its suits u best holding md all the way of doing trip but not for me

Well, the last part was a joke... tongue.gif

I do have it in this small Samsonite Trekking digital camera case, but I hang the strap over my shoulder and have the case under my arm. I can run around without thinking about any skipping.