Noisy HiMD?

Rate this topic

jboss

I recently purchased a HiMD recorder off eBay used (NH600) and I noticed when playing with it that it tends to make quite a bit of noise. I don't mean that it sounds like a chainsaw when it reads the disc, but you can clearly hear it spin and read data. As the owner of a MZ-R30, I've never had my MD recorder be noisey before. Is that normal, or is my recorder working its way toward failure?

I recently purchased a HiMD recorder off eBay used (NH600) and I noticed when playing with it that it tends to make quite a bit of noise. I don't mean that it sounds like a chainsaw when it reads the disc, but you can clearly hear it spin and read data. As the owner of a MZ-R30, I've never had my MD recorder be noisey before. Is that normal, or is my recorder working its way toward failure?

I'm no expert but I guess a Hi-MD - especially one that's been used a bit - will be like a big hard-drive and requires plenty of searching; more when it's been edited, etc. I hear mine but only in a quiet room and occassionally.

The MZ-R700 was one of the first units to use high RPM motors for power saving purposes and was pretty damn noisy, but i think they got that solved lately although they still use higher RPM than your MZ-R30 does.

I'm no expert but I guess a Hi-MD - especially one that's been used a bit - will be like a big hard-drive and requires plenty of searching; more when it's been edited, etc.
There should be no significant difference between an old and a new unit.

Yeah, after messing with it some more I really don't think its making much noise. The house was just absolutely silent and I was doing things one after another so it kept having to move around on the disc making noise. All seems good. Thanks for the replies. A higher RPM motor does make more since. My friend had a R700 and I remember it being incredibly noisey... of course it broke soon after I saw it too, which might be why I associated this noiseyness with being on the verge of breaking. But all seems good.

By the way, they seem to finally use brushless motors not only for the disc rotation mechanism, but also for the read/write transport mechanism, which is very good - it should last much longer. (I'm referring to a NH700)

That's good to hear. I'm sure if the NH700 uses that, the NH600 does too since they were all put out together. I've always felt a little uneasy with MD recorders, since they seemed to me to be prone to breaking. After using my R30, I was much less cautious, but I was indeed a bit worried about this new one. I suppose it'll be fine as long as I don't drop it too much... wink.gif

My good old R91 has made a noisy whiny noise as it reads the disc since the day I got it. I think some players just have a noisy motor. The disc spins contantly, but speeds up as the player reads it. Its at this point the noise can be pretty loud if I place it on a wooden floor or desk. Unless your hearing this noise over your music in your headphones, or people are staring at you wondering what the heck that noise is, sounds like a normal thing to me.

I have bought MZ-RH910 (one week ago). When I listen pleer in a silent room, I hear silent noise: shhhhhhhh...

Noise is audible in silent places. For example, when I listen to Lunar Sonata Beethoven - As though FM radio :-) Or the tape recorder. :-))

In the big headphones where the membrane is farther from a fish soup, noise is not audible. But in plug-in small headphones in a silent room noise is audible.

I badly know English and have not so understood topic. At many too noise in headphones? Or there is a noise of the mechanism?

Edited by Antoni

Welcome, Antoni. Your English is very well spoken for someone who considers it "badly". wink.gif For the record, we are discussing the noises made by the unit when it is reading or writing to a disc, and how that sound sometimes is captured when you have a microphone too close to the unit. This has been an issue with most MD units for as long as I've known them, and a good reason to not employ those short mics that connect directly to the unit without a cable inbetween for those recordings that are extremely important fidelity wise. This is also a strong selling point of flash-based recording units.

Welcome, Antoni. Your English is very well spoken for someone who considers it "badly". wink.gif For the record, we are discussing the noises made by the unit when it is reading or writing to a disc, and how that sound sometimes is captured when you have a microphone too close to the unit.

Ha-ha! :-) Actually I badly know English. I use the program - translator (PROMT)

In the previous message I have strongly exaggerated. Certainly the tape recorder or radio do(make) noise much more strongly, than MD. In general I think, noise is in the majority of audiodevices. Quality of sound MD very high. H'm.. I hear noise of amplifier MD only in plug-in headphones and in very silent room. Noise is, but weak. It not a problem.

As to noise of a mechanical part of the device. In MZ-RH910 there is no built - in microphone, there is a socket for connection. It is possible to arrange a microphone so that any noise from MD it was not audible.