What is the best Hi-MD model ever made? (so far)

Rate this topic

Skradgee

What is the best Hi-MD model ever made? (so far)  

1. 1. What is the best Hi-MD portable ever made? (so far)

• Sony MZ-DH10P
    • Sony MZ-RH10
    • Sony MZ-RH910
    • Sony MZ-RH710
    • Sony MZ-NH1
    • Sony MZ-NH900
    • Sony MZ-NHF800
    • Sony MZ-NH700
    • Sony MZ-NH600D
    • Sony MZ-EH1
    • Sony MZ-NH3D
    • Sony MZ-EH930
    • Buffalo MD-HUSB
    • Sony MZ-RH1
    • Sony MZ-EH50
    • Sony MZ-EH70
    • Sony MZ-NH600 (Recording Model)
  2. 2. Best Hi-MD deck? (Not a lot of choice here...)

• Onkyo MD-105FX
    • Onkyo MD-133
  3. 3. Best Hi-MD Bookshelf?

• Sony Lam-X1
    • Sony CMT-AH10
    • Onkyo X-B7
    • Onkyo X-B8
    • Onkyo X-N7
    • Onkyo X-N9
    • Onkyo X-N7X
    • Onkyo X-N9X

well actually exactly what kurisu said... it would be a choice between the NH900 and the RH10, but as I haven't even seen a real life RH10...ever (well Belgium is really far behind what HiMD is concerned laugh.gif ) I have to say NH900: the one I own and love wub.gif

I have had a nh700 , nh900 , nh1 (1 week only) and now have a RH710.

This is my take , i liked the NH700 a lot but "upgraded" to a nh900 for the line out - result had a unit where the battery expanded and could not be removed and i couldnt read the screen except in perfect conditions.

I also think the digital amp in the NH900 + NH1 was a bit metallic sounding and preferred the sound of my NH700.

I upgraded from the nh900 to the nh1 and hated it from day 1 , charging stand was a pain, 1 line lcd and no jogwheel (i like the jogwheel a lot) i promptly got rid of it.

Now i have been without a Hi-MD for a while now and have been using my HD5 and my old netmd 910 but was in Sony Centre the other week and had a good look at the 2nd gen models, i bought a RH710 (got it cheap!) and love it, its the UK version and has DC and Digital in, sturdy build quality and i was a bit nervous about getting the digital amp again on the rh910/rh10.

If i hear good things about the RH910s sound i may indulge.

I upgraded from the nh900 to the nh1 and hated it from day 1 , charging stand was a pain, 1 line lcd and no jogwheel (i like the jogwheel a lot) i promptly got rid of it.

I bought an NH-1, upgrading from an MZN710, and whilst I thought it was superbly made and neatly designed with real 'wow' factor, I was disappointed by exactly these same drawbacks.

I sent it back to Amazon, and bought an NH900, a great all rounder.

I also found a cheap, mint E10 on eBay, and then a bargain HD3, to add to my Sony collection. A fine trio, and I enjoy owning and using each of them(sorry about the HD3 folks happy.gif )

But I came to miss the sleek NH1, for all its faults(not many really), and have just bought one again. I'm loving it! I think it really is a special design, unlikely to be repeated now Sony have 'gone plastic'

But as to which one is best . . . .hmm, very tricky. The slinky NH1 or the do-all NH900? Horses for courses, as they say! biggrin.gif

I look forward to reading some more opinions before I cast my vote!

Andrew

I chose the NH1 because to me it is the best looking and seems to be the highest quality unit... But I've never used one and it seems some people have gripes about it. It certainly does look better than all the others, IMO.

The Onkyo deck is a waste to me since it lacks NetMD which I had previously thought would always be coupled with Hi-MD. Hi-MD is pretty PC dependent (especially since you can use it to store files on as well) so I don't understand what good a non-NetMD Hi-MD unit would be.

Though admittedly I doubt I'm getting into Hi-MD at all (apart from perhaps an NH600D I may get in a trade).

What advantages does the NH900 have over the NH1?

I have an NH1, the only possible faults i have are:

-cannot charge + USB at the same time

-USB connector isn't the common mini plug

-can't play back mp3 data

-no optical out

-no battery pack possible

-no track mark button on remote

But the NH900 doersn't date stamp, that has saved my ass a number of times already! lol

Well, I voted for the NH900, because... well... I voted for it a few weeks ago with my hard-earned £££, and apart from a few minor gripes, I've been very happy with it.

Sure, I was tempted by the NH1 (specially at the price Amazon were selling it for at the time), but the lack of battery options, the charging stand issue (and lack of standard USB), and the one-line display on the unit all weighed sufficiently against it.

Peace,

Michael

PS. Looking at the results of the poll so far, it seems like quite a lot of forum users have come to a similar conclusion...

Well, I love all my MD units and the NH900 has a lovely "chunky" feel to it that makes it particularly nice to hold. However, the short battery life is the main drawback and the nice chunky feel is not so good when I want a unit that's as small as possible. So, I had to go for the NH1 because it's pure class from top to bottom.

BTW, also forgotten were the Japan only models: the EH1 (the sexiest Hi-MD model by far) and the NH3D (NH1 without screen and recording capabilities). The EH930 was also forgotten. Oh, and that Buffalo NH600 copy.

BTW, also forgotten were the Japan only models: the EH1 (the sexiest Hi-MD model by far) and the NH3D (NH1 without screen and recording capabilities).  The EH930 was also forgotten.  Oh, and that Buffalo NH600 copy.

I don't really think you can lump the players in with the recorders anyway. Why not just create a category for them?

My vote is for the NH1. Most of the gripes I've read here about it are pretty nitpicky since it does more than any other MD unit on the list except for the MP3 capability. From what I understand, the MP3 quality on the 2nd gen units isn't that great anyway...

Should those qualified to vote have owned all those models? Maybe I am not qualified to vote since I only have the MZRH10.

On the 'mp3 playback of 2nd gen units' - honestly, nothing wrong with it as far as I can hear. C'mon folks, do not perpetuate rumours without trying things first themselves. smile.gif

I agree , MP3 playback on mine sounds sweet but then i dont have nuclear powered hi-tek super ears. I have compared playback with my DNE10 and HD5 and difference is minimal - a little less treble thats all.

Edited by doomlordis

I heve a NH900 (and voted for that) , and I'm quite pleased with it. However, it cost me a lot of money back then and as it was the "high-end" model, I expected some high-end features:

- sadly, there is no optical output, but that problem's solved now with HiMDrender I guess.

- As someone said, the Digital Amp actually sucks. You hear the metallic, artificial sound immediately. So I turn it always off, and I've bought some good bassy headphones.

It's a duel to the death for all these decks!  Vote for your favorite before Sony discontinues Hi-MD all together.  wink.gif  Have fun.

Well after some thought, and reading other posts, I've just voted for the NH1 over the 900 (both of which I own).

I think the NH1 is a really special unit, in design, construction, engineering, and of course, specification. If it had a larger screen, and the 900's jogwheel, well that would be perfection!

The 900 has everything anyone could want in an MD unit, and at a great price -compared to the price of the NH1. No wonder NH900 owners are very happy with them (including me!). I'm glad these two units are quite rightly battling for 'victory'. The others don't come close.

But the NH1 edges all others, a special piece of Sony design, despite its flaws, which won't be repeated again I reckon.

Andrew

I heve a NH900 (and voted for that) , and I'm quite pleased with it. However, it cost me a lot of money back then and as it was the "high-end" model, I expected some high-end features:

- sadly, there is no optical output, but that problem's solved now with HiMDrender I guess.

- As someone said, the Digital Amp actually sucks. You hear the metallic, artificial sound  immediately.  So I turn it always off, and I've bought some good bassy headphones.

how the helle can you turn off the amplifier wacko.gif

the nh700,

got one, liked it, got a second one so the first one has an easier time, the first (blue) one stays at home as a player and the computer connecter while the second one (silver) is kept in the media bag and used for recording and other stuff, felt strange owning two of the same model but now used to the extra convenience

• 1 month later...

Strange to see so little love here for the MZ-NHF800--or the NH700, its near-twin (minus the FM remote I never use).

I also have the NH900, and the controls are goofy: doing record slider plus pause takes two hands, and the combo STOP/PAUSE button is a menace if you ever want to pause (and save settings) in the dark. Also, the screen is dark and the digital amp isn't the most lovely sound. Gumstick battery = uncertainty about whether it'll get through a long show, and outboard battery pod takes some of the "mini" out of minidisc. The problem with the latch for the gumstick battery--can open in a pocket, has to be taped shut--wasn't solved after the MZ-R900.

Whereas putting an alkaline or 2300 MaH rechargeable AA battery into the NHF-800 runs it forever and rocks the house, and the controls are easy.

You might see the NH900 in the Classifieds soon.

NH1 -- OK it could have had a better (larger) screen on the main unit but the remote is fine --and since I usually play normal (I.e LP2 or SP) minidiscs (or even HI-SP but using the "Old" Minidiscs) in it I know what's on the disk and don't need to scroll the screen anyway.

Everything else looks fairly cheap by comparison --there's something "Classy" looking about the polished metal of the NH1 that doesn't exist in the other units --"Oozes quality".

Cheers

-K

It's the NH900 for me. I looked hard at the NH1 and the NH900 before buying. I opted for the NH900 because of the extra battery life with the add on pod. I have a great distrust of rechargeables (not just with minidiscs) - they never seem reliable just when you need them to be...

I have looked recently at getting an additional Hi-MD as our local Sony Shop has an NH1 on sale. I am put off by the one line display but agree that it terms of looks it is in a class of its own. I suspect I will be getting another NH900 when I can source one at a reasonable price.

:D