Do you burn in LP2 or LP4?

Rate this topic

alskdjfhg

Do you record your music in LP2 or LP4?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you record your music in LP2 or LP4?

• LP2
    • LP4
    • Neither

Well if you record something off DAB such as speech (eg sport) then LP4 is fine, otherwise for general purpose work, I find LP2 pretty decent.

For instance I have made up a number of discs of "interval music" for dances which my band play at (the selections are called things like "Upbeat & Rocky", "Mellow", "Instrumental", etc depending on the kind of audience. Plug the MD unit (usually the N520) into the band's PA, select "Shuffle" and let it do its stuff.

They sound pretty good in that context.

I get somewhere around 40 tracks in LP2 mode on each one.

Takes me _ages_ to make the compilations up though!

I use LP4 when recording class lectures .. its actually better recording in LP4 this way since you get 5~ hours recording time from beginning to end (on an 80 min MD). Recording in SP mono will only get you literally 80 min so that's out of the question.

This is on a non Hi-MD recorder btw ..

added a neither option for those who only sp

Yep, that's me, SP in realtime only biggrin.gif

I can't take the low quality of LP2 and LP4 is horrible. Plus I only have a few MDLP capable units and so it is pretty pointless to use either. Even for speech, it's better that I just use SP in mono rather than either LP2 or LP4...

• 2 weeks later...

I originally answered the poll saying I use LP4, but then I went home and did a test. I encoded 3 different tracks from 3 different music types and did some quick tests. I knew I was sacrificing quality with LP4, but I decided that I liked having lots of music with me. Now, after the tests, I've decided that I'd rather carry a few more MDs with me than live with LP4.

Some music works fine on LP4 and I will continue using it occasionally. However for most classical, instrumental, or vocal music, LP4 is just not good enough. I use Simple Burner for all my transfers to my N505 (thank you Nero ImageDrive!), so I don't use SP ever.

Now, I'm considering getting a Hi-MD unit. Even with LP2 I can fit almost 5 hours on a regular MD.