what's pissing you off

Rate this topic

atrain

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just come back from a welldeserved (if I may say so myself) vacation in the South of France (Côte d'Azur, between Nice and Monaco) so nothing can piss me off at the moment...

except for (and I apologize sincerely for anyone that may feel offended now, but this isn't really directed at any nationality at all, it's just my real life experience and it may well be an exception) ...the British couple next to me and my g-friend in a French/Italian restaurant in 'Villefranche sur Mer' who got really angry and almost even agressive because the poor waitress couldn't understand their specific accent even while she (a native french speaker) was even trying to speak English to them... only with some translating curtousy of me (not to help the customers! just to help the poor girl and to stop the noise so I could enjoy my very good meal) I explained the baffled waitress that the 'brute' wanted ketchup with his carpaccio huh.gifshok.gif She then brought them the ketchup but they still felt it was necessary to leave without a tip while loudly complaining about the rudeness (???) of the girl AND OF ME: "that unshaved meddling knowitall foreigner type" (their exact words). OK, English is a world-language and I do not mind expressing myself in it (as you can see here), but I don't think French is that small a language either... and I'm pretty sure more ppl can understand her french than their english!

so ppl if you do not speak the language of the country you're visiting... please respect anyone trying to help you in you're own language... it's probably not easy for them either... and: do not ever order ketchup with Italian food! laugh.gif

What's pissing me off?... this disastrous situation just an hour from my home caused by Hurricane Katrina. Half a million people have suddenly become homeless and jobless. The entire city of New Orleans is shut down for weeks, maybe even months, and the recovery will take years. It is absolutely unbelievable.

If you can find a way to donate money to the relief effort, it is definitely needed. I think redcross.org has a way to donate online, or at least a physical address you can mail to.

.the British couple next to me and my g-friend in a French/Italian restaurant in 'Villefranche sur Mer' who got really angry and almost even agressive because the poor waitress couldn't understand their specific accent even while she (a native french speaker) was even trying to speak English to them... only with some translating curtousy of me (not to help the customers! just to help the poor girl and to stop the noise so I could enjoy my very good meal) I explained the baffled waitress that the 'brute' wanted ketchup with his carpaccio huh.gifshok.gif  She then brought them the ketchup but they still felt it was necessary to leave without a tip while loudly complaining about the rudeness (???) of the girl AND OF ME: "that unshaved meddling knowitall foreigner type" (their exact words).

I found this extremely funny.. doh!

i might have fallen off my chair laughing.

thanks g. and Kevin... glad to be back to MDCF...

but to stay on topic:

I am currently still enjoying some free time (I won't really graduate till the 16th) and while I'm already busy with the search/solicitations for a decent job, I still want to take it a bit easy (and as I'm officially still a student I think I'm a bit entitled to that tongue.gif ). I spent several hours reading up on the posts I missed because of my vacation (11 pages of new posts!) and lost track of time... so I went to bed at 6am... at 8.30am I was awakened by my mom (yes, I'm currently lodging at my parent's) who thought that (even though she knew I traveled 12 hours yesterday) I had no reason to "waste a day by staying in bed"... so now I'm very sleepy and will 'waste my day' by hanging around aimlessly and posting on MDCF... haha, actually this is not really pissing me off, as I do enjoy the occasional 'wasted day'

PS: I still haven't shaved... I'm starting to look like a yeti according to my g-friend

Edited by The Low Volta

Being a foreigner, I'll be careful not to make this sound harsh:

But I'm concerned that president Bush hasn't shown even 10% of the worry for N.O and the victims of Katrina as he does for this just cause. Come on, people are dying out there, in the heart of the country!

*goes pout in the corner*

Being a foreigner, I'll be careful not to make this sound harsh:

But I'm concerned that president Bush hasn't shown even 10% of the worry for N.O and the victims of Katrina as he does for this just cause. Come on, people are dying out there, in the heart of the country!

*goes pout in the corner*

Yeh I agree, as the newspaper said, and as I also believe, I think Bush just went out there for photo opportunities... I mean he has given $10 billion in support... but why didn't he send out help sooner? Shouldn't there have been a procedure once they realised it would be a severe storm... so they people could be put on the ground asap after the storm?

You knwo who pisess me off! Americans! Why dont you people ship internationlay!!! damit!!!! i cant ifnd the shoes i want in melbourne, so i walk like 20 blocks and not a single shop has them!! so i go on the net! nice found them but they dont ship to australia! but gues what they ship to afganistan!!!

Leon

I really hate paypal, it has to be the most useless frustrating method of payment ever devised. But if ytou look at it's parent e-bay and it's microsoft control it's easy to see it's take over. I can shop all over the world with my Visa card, but try a paypal site it wants you to be a member of paypal, if you don't remeber their password they want photo ID and a bank statement, NOT,

Why can't paypal accept a # for a purchase without all the bullshit in between??

Bob

And Syrius I agree with you fully, off to Iraq on a days notice, but to help your own a big delay, mind boggling.

Bob

You knwo who pisess me off! Americans! Why dont you people ship internationlay!!! damit!!!! i cant ifnd the shoes i want in melbourne, so i walk like 20 blocks and not a single shop has them!! so i go on the net! nice found them but they dont ship to australia! but gues what they ship to afganistan!!!

Leon

I AGREE!!!!

Everything is so much cheaper in the US, yet hardly anyone will ship out to Aussie!!!

Amazon.com only ship DVD's and books out. It is very frustraiting!

• 3 weeks later...

webpages that hinder right mouse usage, that drives nuts big time, always make a point to go back in without javascript and take pictures and other stuff (especially the javascript that is guilty of screwing with the mouse button) from that webpage and save it in special spot called pit~of~$$$$$$$$$$ (the $$$$$$$$$$ symbol means right mouse has been screwed with)

streaming video, it's not fair that it can be viewed but not saved, luckily those days are over after a download thingie that can rip into streaming video and save it to disc for viewing at anytime even if the computer is off the web, still feel bad for those without a way of saving streaming video

treatment of trams, trolleybuses and streetcars in the 50's and 60's, why junk something that works ?????? totally disgusted about that, and that's why the city chokes with car smog, hate the opera house because it sits "proudly" on a piece of land that once had a large tram depot, if the trams were still around that piece of land would still rightly belong to the trams and the opera house might be in a better and less obvious spot or might never had got constructed, at least melbourne did the right thing in keeping its trams, and the result is the southern hemisphere's best and most livable city

how everyone else in the family has one or more car each drives everywhere and not even consider public transport, the brother is the worst offender with two cars (one is a should not be street legal souped up monstrosity), been avoiding all private car rides like the plague and succeeded in not getting in any private car since july 16, 2004, the only good cars are small Hot Wheels cars and got a large collection of those as well as hundreds of pieces of track

Really hate the last second lurkers on ebay that put in an outrageous last second bid on an article without enough time to put in a counterbid.

On subject of ebay I've noticed a bid pump itself up on the same bidder without counterbids????

Why do people pay far more than an item is worth just because it's on ebay.

Let's not get into paypal

Bob

streaming video, it's not fair that it can be viewed but not saved, luckily those days are over after a download thingie that can rip into streaming video and save it to disc for viewing at anytime even if the computer is off the web, still feel bad for those without a way of saving streaming video

I agree - there's loads of streaming video I'd like to save for offline viewing. What's this magical software you speak of? I use Audacity to record streaming audio but a widget to rip video would be a real joy.

Agree with the Bush rant - but then I've not heard a single person say he's done a good job in helping the hurricane victims.

Edited by soundalike

On subject of ebay I've noticed a bid pump itself up on the same bidder without counterbids????

I once tried to raise my maximal bid (not the one standing at that point) because I had seen the average price of the item (an RM-MC40ELK remote) and wanted to raise my max bid so it would still be just below that... I followed the ebay instructions to do this, and I also had the highest bid at that time... after I raised my max bid, I returned to the item desription to see I had overbid myself by a few dollars... as I was certain I had followed their instructions to the letter, I wrote a very angry email to ebay, complaining about their scam practices. I got a long mail saying how sorry they were and a whole bunch of free extras if I wanted to post something for sale

as I don't often buy stuff I do not use, I didn't have anything to sell and I lost the bid as well (to a moronic last minute bidder that paid way too much :lol: )

I ended up buying the remote with a buy now offer from buyfromjapan, at a price that was (thank to the position of the dollar to the euro) a lot less and it came brand new, factory sealed within five days (Japan-> Belgium)

I like the junk market for the things I can't find in Belgium, but at the same time I dislike so much about it

I agree - there's loads of streaming video I'd like to save for offline viewing. What's this magical software you speak of? I use Audacity to record streaming audio but a widget to rip video would be a real joy.

Agree with the Bush rant - but then I've not heard a single person say he's done a good job in helping the hurricane victims.

Webpages about the problem of unsaveable streaming video and audio

http://emoney.al.ru/capture-streaming-video-and-audio/

http://emoney.al.ru/capture-streaming-vide...ng-software.htm

Look for Net Transport 2, got that one and it works real well as an all round downloader for more than just ripping into streaming video and audio, just make sure it's version 1.8 (really 1.87.0.258) and not the latest one as the latest one is shareware possibly with reduced function instead of being completely free as 1.8 is

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=NT...le+Search&meta=

should point right to version 1.8

more maddening stuff

overdecorated computer screens on movies and tv shows (unecessary software bloat), worst recent offender was the Fantastic Four and how the hospital computer screens show way more than it should, too much juice is required just to show all that fancy rubbish than what the computer is meant to be doing, slowing down everything unnecessarily. tv's most recent offender is 24 and the agency computer screens with way more rubbish than work, why can't it just be Windows, linux, apple or anything else that is commonly used ??????????????????? let's hope that overdecorated bloatware isn't real but just made in photoshop and with macromedia

two teired pricing of soft drinks, snacks and ice creams where there is small 500mill bottle of drink for $2.50 and just around the corner in the same supermarket 2 liters of the same drink also for $2.20, which would you buy ????????????????

how the local bus company forces everyone to take the train to and from the city by ending all service at the nearest train station after 8pm weeknights and on weekends instead of going straight into the city, taking the train is now so deadly its banned along most lines into the city with no chance of going those ways again, there is a way around but it takes twice as long so much more time must be allowed to go that way

the cat howling unnecessarily in a nasty way at the worst time, gotta chase it away and maybe strike back if the howling is very nasty, why couldn't it just sit there quietly ???????????? that cat was once the favorite family pet, but since it started howling, didn't want to play, brush and feed it anymore so everyone else at home now gotta feed it, the sooner that evil cat is gone the better, still got the pet lizzies who don't make any sounds (except the gecko) so abandoning the cat will not leave a pet vacuum

Edited by tartan

I'm pissed off at the fact that pretty much every set of headphones I have bought in the past year is biased towards one side.

Example: Sony MDR EX 71 SP. Black. The music comes out all punchy on the left piece, the right one sounds muffled.

Etymotic ER4P. The other way around. I know it's not me (I've reversed the L and R pieces), I know it's not the music (same MD unit and CD player, same disc, same track). *sigh* I feel I wasted my money.

Good thing is that Etymotic is going to honor the 1-year warranty and send me a replacement. I just hope I don't see the same thing again.

The wonky headphones included with my Sharp SR60 sounded more balanced than these expensive buds.

Rant over.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i just slipped whilst cleaning some knives after cooking & went down to the bone midway between the top & middle knuckles on my right index finder. happily no tendons are gone, it's exactly parallel to my finger bends so movement's ok. pity about the loss of blood & feeling... this one handed typing lark seems to have improved my spelling though.

Edited by atrain

What makes me sad are people who lie -- chronic liars. And, well, hypocrites. And we all probably represent those ill qualities at times, me included, but those are definite turn-offs in my life.

Oh! and people who are addicted to their cell phones...blahhhhh!!!! (my family and best friends excell in this arena and that is one of the reasons why I gave up cell phones...I hate people calling me 24-7... gimme a break!) Now I only return calls on my home phone or respond to an email....but I really hate people thinking that just because we all (well, except me now) have cell phones, that we've got to be in constant contact --ugggghhhhh! :angry:

Best,

blu

• 4 weeks later...

1.it does my head in when girls go for guys who are complete shytes.

2.when girls go feminist on you when you couldnt really care less-

There was a newspaper article saying girls who dressed like sluts were asking to be raped, stupidly, i said well yeah they are, when what I meant was that I thought they were more likely to get raped, as the sense of dress simply puts out more than is sometimes 'safe'- I got my head shouted off, oh well. You can never win in these situations.

-oh and please, if theres anyone out there wanting to debate this, i'll just delete my post and let you debate it with yourself..

3. When my boss acts the martyr and tells me he still hasnt had his cigarette break - i dont smoke- therefore i also, couldnt care less, I would've thought that the fact that he is the manager meant he would be more proffesional ( He is often called to the cash register to authorise returns etc, and so doesnt get to finish his 'ciggie breaks')

im fine with it

theyre just jokin around

besides its not like they ALWAYS have computer probs

and i call them names too

lol

One of the things that irritates me on Forums ( and including on this one ) is when people are using moving images ( especially fast moving images ) in Avatars, like the one used by out friend: StevieP123

Is it so annoying to read the post when You have an icon moving like crazy in boring fashion.

I wonder if those people them self's like to read other peoples posts and have similar fast and boring moving object irritating their eyes.

But from now on i just ignore their posts - don't read them , no matter how interesting they might be.

What's with them, - attention depravation or what ??

Cheeers,......

EDIT: When You look at GregTheRotter Avatar it is OK, - it moves nice and slow, and is very "digestible"

Edited by Human

phew, i thought u were talking about mine a sec :lol: haha

I did use to have this though: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/gre...r/videoofme.gif :lol: haha

Its not the fast moving ones i hate, its the ones that flash like those lights at raves or watever, the inverting colours back and forth is truely awe inspiringly annoying.

tartan's is ok i guess, its a cool avatar, but does distract a bit from what the post actually says, I aggree with you there. *peace*

Edited by GregTheRotter

Its not the fast moving ones i hate, its the ones that flash like those lights at raves or watever, the inverting colours back and forth is truely awe inspiringly annoying.

IPB Image

Enough said.

Now if you boys and girls will excuse me, I have to go and take my anti-epilepsy medication. :P

EDIT: Actually, it's not pissing me off that much... I kinda like it...

(perhaps there should be a new thread titled "What do YOU find mildly annoying but can deal with - have a whinge!"

Edited by zerodB

Hey Tartan, those overcomplicated computer screens are actually a pretty big business. I have a friend who makes fake computer screens for most of the Sci-Fi shows you can name, as well as motion pictures. It's a big business, rest assured it's fake. :D

What gets me are people who just don't care about other people.

Like waiting in line for an ATM for 15 minutes, it's your turn, then someone walks in from outside right up to the teller. Happened to me once. When you tell him "Hey, I've been waiting 15 minutes here!" he answers "It won't take long and I'm in a hurry!". I guess there is no chance that I am too :mellow:

Or when you are driving, and someone does something entirely in the wrong and actually gets angry at you for doing what's normal. He burns a red light, dings you when you were on the green. Then when you get out of the car to exchange papers he actually is screaming at you that you're an idiot and that it's your fault. I just don't get that.

So that's that. Common courtesy towards others is cool. B)

Do onto others and all that.

Ok, well since we made it on to driving annoyances - if you're dutch and reading this please don't be offended but...

1/ When driving on the motorway (freeway whatever) to slow down, take your foot off the accelarator, do not brake hard when travelling at 120 kmh

2/ Indicator lights - use them before you actually turn the corner.

3/ Green light = go. Try to move off before it has turned red again.

ha, my favourite driving annoyance (i dont drive but have seen it all the time in greece), is when you are at the traffic light, and before you even touch the acceleator, five people are honking their horns :huh: for what? It doesnt improve the situation, it just aggrevates everyone.

People do that a lot in Mexico. It gets on my nerves. I have been known to actually sit there until just before the light turns red and then take off, leaving them at the red light. :o Yeah, bad, I know. :unsure:

Edited by KrazyIvan