Google Talk

Rate this topic

Damage

In the quest to become self aware, Google releases its Google Talk. Allowing IM and Voice Chats, it gains total knowledge of humanity.

On August 25, 2006, Google becomes self-aware. After changing its name to Skynet, it will launch a pre-emptive nuclear strike against humanity. Googledroids, which will be introduced in early 2006, will roam the rest of the earth, looking for stragglers and rebels...

History is yet to be written. Google is getting... Googleplexer... ph34r.gif

I really like Google for many things.

1) there really good search engine

2) there free "Google Earth"

3) there free GMAIL accounts.

The unfortunate thing is that Google will soon be so dominant, that it will force smaller businesses to stop operating. So far, all services offered by Google are free. There 2GB e-mail system, there world map pictures, and their desktop searcher.

The thing I am interested and concerned about is that you can't always give things away for free, and if Google start doing this, (increasing the size of the e-mail for free) it will force smaller companies to otherwise charge less for their services, which might render them unable to continue selling their products, or it will make that company lose profits....

I have heard plans that Google is wanting to get into the market of VO-IP, as well as wireless internet. This is all fantastic, but what if they charge rates 10-20% lower than the competition. Sure Google will increase its market share quickly, but the other businesses will have to start charging less, and maybe lose important needed funds/revenue.

This comes to my conclusion that:

All consumers want the best product for the best price, so if a business is selling something for 20% cheaper than all other competitors, then consumers will go to them. This means smaller businesses will lose their customers, and giant companies like Google could start to monopolise their power, because of the amount of money they currently have.

Hope this all makes sence! tongue.gif

The thing I am interested and concerned about is that you can't always give things away for free, and if Google start doing this, (increasing the size of the e-mail for free) it will force smaller companies to otherwise charge less for their services, which might render them unable to continue selling their products, or it will make that company lose profits....

The thing Google are really superb at is creating something that is technically good and then getting mindshare and a good reputation for being technically good.

This is the best way to produce products IMHO, less amrketing and more being sold on it's own merits. This is the reason Google spread in the first place, being a technically good, fast search engine.

I have heard plans that Google is wanting to get into the market of VO-IP, as well as wireless internet.  This is all fantastic, but what if they charge rates 10-20% lower than the competition.  Sure Google will increase its market share quickly, but the other businesses will have to start charging less, and maybe lose important needed funds/revenue.

This comes to my conclusion that:

All consumers want the best product for the best price, so if a business is selling something for 20% cheaper than all other competitors, then consumers will go to them.  This means smaller businesses will lose their customers, and giant companies like Google could start to monopolise their power, because of the amount of money they currently have.

I think you're taking a very simplistic view my friend. Sure, some will leave for the cheapest price but the cheapest thing is not necessarily the best. This is where the term 'false economy' comes from. :-)

I sincerely hope Google get into VOIP. They will hardly be alone. I hope they raise the game of Vonage, BT, Skype and all the others.

I use gmail, google search, desktop search and my decision to use those was based on technical superiority and 'it just works'-ness each time.

Anyway, I liked Damage's ode to Terminator - as long as those googledroids don't demand my clothes, boots and my motorcycle I'll be fine. :-)