Busted at Rolling Stones concert

Rate this topic

A440

Well, at least one security outfit does know what a minidisc remote looks like.

Got the NHF800 past the metal detectors, etc. with a lot of other junk in my pocket (cellphone, keys). But I was track marking with my RM-MC40ELK--MD unit in pocket--when a Stones security guy spotted me. Almost got kicked out of the concert entirely, but persuaded them to just take my disc and call it even. If you're going to try a Stones show, be stealthier than I was.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that.

The remote was probably "glowing in the dark". The silver color probably didn't help, either. I never track mark at a concert and try to keep both hands free as much as possible. At least the security were willing to work with you.

What was your location? Up front? Floor?

I try to keep everything as low as possible to let surrounding bodies hide any actions needed and try not to look down, if at all avoidable.

Paul

Ouch!  Sorry to hear that.

The remote was probably "glowing in the dark".  The silver color probably didn't help, either.  I never track mark at a concert and try to keep both hands free as much as possible.  At least the security were willing to work with you.

What was your location? Up front? Floor?

I try to keep everything as low as possible to let surrounding bodies hide any actions needed and try not to look down, if at all avoidable.

Paul

I never track mark during the recording in open or stealth mode. Seems I get a momentary drop in levels when I make that track mark. Seems like too much to keep up with during the recording as well. That's why I listen on the way home. I place track marks during playback before uploading. Still scared of what my computer and SS will do with the 1Gb file upload and I just don't have the patience or need for more blue screens of death... Well, I got off topic fast.

Sorry to hear about the mishap but luckily they let you keep the unit. I agree you may have been pushing it a bit (no pun intended laugh.gif )

Well, at least one security outfit does know what a minidisc remote looks like.

Got the NHF800 past the metal detectors, etc. with a lot of other junk in my pocket (cellphone, keys). But  I was track marking with my RM-MC40ELK--MD unit in pocket--when a Stones security guy spotted me. Almost got kicked out of the concert entirely, but persuaded them to just take my disc and call it even. If you're going to try a  Stones show, be stealthier than I was.

Why did you make the trackmarks manually at the venue?

What I did last time (I've been reading about it here before) was to set the default trackmark-time every 10 minutes on the MD at home, already before I went to the venue. On a 1Gb disc that will give you the maximum of 10 nice tracks (9 x 10 minutes + 1 x 4 or 5 minutes) with PCM/WAV-modus.

During the concert I didn't even watched or touched any equipment....

• 2 weeks later...

The Stones were just here in Detroit at Comerica Park. In theory, someone ph34r.gif could have sat on a roof top across the street, used my SP-CMC-2A mics, SP-SPSB-9 battery, and MZ-N707 to capture the sounds of the city.

Considering the rooftop was about 8 stories up and above the traffic sounds, you would have been about level with the speakers, one of which would have been aimed right at you.

Not saying anything, just thinking out loud. wink.gif

Weaves

• 9 months later...

A440,

I got busted too, but at a Radiohead concert in Montreal! Apparently, more and more people use this remote and they now recognize it pretty well (or maybe the mic shined in the light even if it was well hidden)...

I was lucky enough that they let me "enjoy" (as much as I could, cause boy, that freaked me out!) the rest of the show and, especially, to return the recorder and mic to me.

I was 3rd row on the floor, too close to the action I guess. Lots of security in front. I've attended concerts on balconies... barely any security there.

Next time, I'll have very discrete in ear microphones - are any good? I currently use a Sony stereo mic (you know, the same T microphone they used to sell at Sony store?) and I love it. There probably are microphones much better than this one, I just don't know much about electronics.

Help would be appreciated. :)

Well, it won't be your recording, but check this out:

http://www.lders.nl/

Security's definitely not catching everybody.

SoundProfessionals' in-ear mics TFB-2 look just like earplugs, but use them with a battery module or attentuator (Radio Shack headphone volume control) because they'll pick up more bass (and sound much fuller) than your current mic. Or you could get the good old SoundPro BMC-2 , which are the size of a Jelly Baby, and clip them onto a dark garment--also with attenutator or battery box.

mics: http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/...tegory/110/mics

battery module:

http://www.microphonemadness.com/products/mmcbmminminc.htm

Or look at Greenmachine's little mics and battery module:

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showt...=15entry99412

His latest URL is at the end--don't forget to ask for the MDCF discount!

If you're worried, leave the unit on Record/Pause with Manual Volume set outside the venue, then start recording with the remote, take one look at it to make sure everything's coming through, and just let it roll through the show with everything hidden. You can always add track marks later.

earplugs at concerts could be interpreted here as the suff used to protect your hearing from the overly loud amped wall of boxes all venues seem to need these days :lol:

you could always 'mod' them a bit so they even look more like those things

or even as some sort of hearing aid :P because you didn't use the plugs before :lol:

i have the in-ear mics and they're pretty amazing. if you have longish enough hair to cover your ears there's no way anyone can know you're recording and you don't have to hold a mic or anything. usually i just set the levels low, hit record and enjoy the show like i would if i wasn't even recording. i've even moshed all through a show and managed to get a pretty decent recording with them.

oh yeah- and one time i just had them in my pocket cuz i planned on putting them on once i got inside but they were doing searches and i told the security guy they were earphones :rolleyes: and of cours i was listening to the player at the time so they probably thought it was an ipod or something.

Edited by bayoubilly

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Most of the info is with the files, but it's:

2 low-priced Church Audio binaurals (I don't think he makes them any more, they were about $35) clipped pointing outward on my shirt collar with windscreens

Mic Madness Mini Battery Module---> Line-In

Probably about 18/30--didn't write it down

Hi-SP, NHF800, uploaded to .wav and converted to Lame alt-preset-standard at 192 kbps. There's no post-processing.

But the crucial thing is that I was in a great spot: right near the soundboard, near some real fans who kept quiet. And Bonnaroo really cares about good sound.

Oh, and I am an Elvis Costello fan. But the people around me were chattering a lot during his set. I need to go through those recordings and see if there's something worth uploading.

Most of the info is with the files, but it's:

2 low-priced Church Audio binaurals (I don't think he makes them any more, they were about $35) clipped pointing outward on my shirt collar with windscreens

Mic Madness Mini Battery Module---> Line-In

Probably about 18/30--didn't write it down

Hi-SP, NHF800, uploaded to .wav and converted to Lame alt-preset-standard at 192 kbps. There's no post-processing.

But the crucial thing is that I was in a great spot: right near the soundboard, near some real fans who kept quiet. And Bonnaroo really cares about good sound.

Oh, and I am an Elvis Costello fan. But the people around me were chattering a lot during his set. I need to go through those recordings and see if there's something worth uploading.

Thanks for the info!