Sonicstage 3.2 and Simple Burner

Rate this topic

valurot

Why is it that Sony have, in Hi-MDs, disabled the function that allows you to rip audio CD's directly to MD in LP2 and LP4 formats? Why must we rip to Sonicstage and THEN transfer to CD? Is there not a hacked version of SS/SB out there that allows you to rip music directly to Hi-MD in LP2 biggrin.gif or LP4 wacko.gif without using SS as an intermediary?

This is project I would get behind as I prefer LP2 to both Hi-LP (quality) and Hi-SP (quantity), and the inconvenience of the SS intermediate step is wearing me out.

Ugh! Once again: Why the unnecessary limitations, Sony! mad.gif

Why is it that Sony have, in Hi-MDs, disabled the function that allows you to rip audio CD's directly to MD in LP2 and LP4 formats? Why must we rip to Sonicstage and THEN transfer to CD? Is there not a hacked version of SS/SB out there that allows you to rip music directly to Hi-MD in LP2  biggrin.gif or LP4  wacko.gif  without using SS as an intermediary?

This is project I would get behind as I prefer LP2 to both Hi-LP (quality) and Hi-SP (quantity), and the inconvenience of the SS intermediate step is wearing me out.

Ugh! Once again: Why the unnecessary limitations, Sony!  mad.gif

I am not sure I am following your line of thinking. Rip to sonic stage then to CD???? I think you are asking why we can't we record ATRAC3(LP2/LP4) on HI-MD formated discs. This is the way I understand it, simply put, ATRAC3 is not compatible with the Hi-MD data structure. Again, that is how I understand it. I base my stance on the Hi-MD FAQ which states:

How did Sony increase capacity on the existing Minidisc to 305MB?

Several changes were responsible for the increase in capacity:

1. The way data bits are encoded into bits on the disk (the modulation system) was changed from EFM ("Eight to Fourteen Modulation", the Compact Disc's method) to the more efficient RLL1,7 (typical of hard drives).

2. The readout electronics were changed from a simple peak detector to a more sophisticated Partial Response Maximum Likelihood ("PRML") system that essentially uses digital signal processing techniques to extract the disk data signal from inter-symbol noise, allowing bits to be packed closer together.

3. The error correction system and "sector structure" were changed to increase data packing efficiency to 80% (Sony doesn't mention what these changes were however).

Edited by KrazyIvan

No. Hi-MD is compatible with Atrac3. Unfortunately you need to rip the files from CD to Sonicstage first, choosing at which bitrate you wish to convert the files. LP2 at 132 kps is an option, as is LP4 at 66, I believe (and there is a middle ground at 105 kps). At any rate, audio files CAN be transferred to Hi-MD at LP2 and LP4. You cannot, however, record in analog or optical mode in anything other than Atrac3+.

My line of thinking is simply that I don't understand LP2 and LP4 formats have been made to be DIFFICULT and INCONVENIENT in Hi-MD... Simpleburner need not have only 4 options.

(Btw, I'm very surprised that this isn't a great annoyance to far more people. mellow.gif)

(Also, I apologize for the typo. I did not mean to say in my initial post: "Why must we rip to Sonicstage and THEN transfer to CD?" but rather "Why must we rip to Sonicstage and THEN transfer to Hi-MD?")

Edited by valurot

If you format your MD to NetMD format first you should get the LP2/LP4 codecs in simpleburner... I did this the other day using my deck, but sonicstage may be the only option for some....

I think this may be a bug in SS3.2/SimpleBurner as I'm pretty sure in 3.0 you could use the "Config" option in SB to format a disk to NetMD mode and hence LP2/LP4...

If it is a bug it should be reported in the correct thread for thgs (rather than just moaning about it (rolleyes.gif )... I'll do it later (or someone else can as I'm off home now... tongue.gif)

Put simply, simple burner only allows you to use standard netMD bitrates with netMD discs (i.e. LP2/LP4) and Atrac3+ bitrates with HiMD discs (PCM/HiSP/HiLP/48)

Right. I get it. What I'm saying is that I don't understand why you are not given the option to rip CD's in LP2 to Hi-MD's (and MD's formatted to Hi-MD) using Simple Burner. It doesn't make sense. That's all. The intermediate step in Sonicstage is an unnecessary and puzzling inconvenience.

Don't mean to moan. I just thought maybe someone on here might know of some hack to enable LP2 transfer to Hi-MD in Simple Burner. Guess not.