Liability Hi-MD vs. normal discs in Hi-MD mode?

Rate this topic

It's now the second time that I lost crucial recordings on a Hi-MD disc with my MZ-NH900. I wonder if anybody here has experience on liability of Hi-MD discs in general. Is it safer to use normal MD discs in Hi-MD mode instead of Hi-MD discs?

I had the chance to figure out the problem of my last lost disc a bit further: I had several tracks on the Hi-MD disc and was about to upload them with SonicStage 3.1. I could play all the tracks with SonicStage except one that seemed to be unreadable for some reason. After it tried to upload that track, SonicStage failed with some error and after that the disc was unreadable (my MZ-NH900 displays a CANNOT RECORD OR PLAY. However, with SonicStage, the TOC is still readable but non of the tracks!). A further examination of the problem showed that the one HMA file with all the recording data in it has a Cyclical Redundancy Checking (CRC) error. A check of that file with some recovery tools showed that only one byte (of the total 670 MB file) is not readable.

I've had one of each disc type fail on me. The strangest one was a hi-md disc in my NH900... after it died, I opened the disc up to find a hair-shaped (curved) scratch on the disc itself. It baffled me since these discs are so enclosed & protected.

I tend to use the standard discs more often, but for different reasons.

Why don't you try some long test recordings and see how it fares, optimistic.

Already done... but all the test runs in the world won't save me from these seemingly random crashes and recording losses that I keep reading about. I guess until they upgrade SonicStage again, or offer a HiMD deck unit with optical out... I'll just have to take my chances.

Haha... ok well I assume you're talking about bit errors... which really don't concern me.  I just want a reliable way to get my PCM concert recordings to my harddrive digitally... even if I have to do it real time.  I've been doing real time transfers for 4 years now and I really don't mind it so much.

I've recorded stuff on my RH10 using a mic, did the transfer to wav without any problems at all. Solid machine, solid format (MD).

I agree with optimistic-pessimist, cannot expect 100%, but I've only had 2 dud-discs in the 100+ that I own, and who knows, it could have just been bad luck... one of the discs was 10 years old, too.

hey a 2% failure rate isnt that bad

Consider the chances of getting a perfect LCD screen (with no dead pixles), almost 0%

I could deal with a dead pixel or two... but hypothetically, say I drive 1000 miles to make it to a concert (which I've been known to do), get my stuff into the show, manage to get a great capture, travel home, then go to master the show on my computer, only to lose it thanks to Sony's stellar technology...

Ok so it hasn't happened to me yet... but just thinking of the possibility.................

... and please don't anyone say "Well at least you'd still have your memories of the show." tongue.gif

It's stressful enough getting one recorder and mics in... let alone TWO! If I was that confident about sneaking stuff into shows, I'd just take a bulky DAT recorder and forget about SS and it's problems for good! (I've only had my RH10 for a week and I'm already talking like this... blink.gif )

Haha... and no I'm not bootlegging! Merely taping... I never sell. It's for my own enjoyment and the enjoyment of those that I trade with.

... and you can't put a price on that. rolleyes.gif