How tough are the Hi-MD 1GB disc?

Rate this topic

cdonges

I noticed that the 1G disks come in a different case than the old ones.  Is this because they are more fragile?  Are they more likley to be damaged if I don't bother with the case or use one of the old style cases?

no difference in durability. the larger cases were most likely for more labeling room since you can fit so much more onto a 1Gb disc.

Edited by gmdisc

I have a pretty funny story on this topic.

A year or so ago at the Australian launch of HI-MD on of the big Sony guys was giving a product spiel to retailers on it, and he was trying to demonstrate how hardy the HI-MD discs were by throwing the disc on the ground and then putting it back in the player and playing it, a demonstration he had performed many times in the past for MD. Anyways, he threw the disc and the disc just shattered everywhere. What had happened was it hit a pressure point and just exploded. There were scattered laughs in the audience but he just re-assembled the disc and went on as if nothing had happened, but secretly he must have died a little inside!

hahahahaha. funny story zathura! I would love to be there.

About the topic: the Himd discs are exactly constructed as the old md's. I've only seen one disc model that was made totally different from the normal ones, it was made of magnesium, Sony MD2000 i think.

Edited by sebastianbf

Similar thing happened to me.

I was going to demonstrate how durable MD´s are to a girl at school and asked her to throw it on the floor (hard concrete). Well she smashed it way harder than I had expected and the disc (a TDK, not as quality as the Sony ones) got cracked in half.

Fixing it was as simple as gluing it together back home.

I'd agree there is no difference. The only difference is the cases of the old Hi-MDs and the new ones (the outside case, not the shell of the MD). I have yet to have an MD break in my 4 years of having them.

I have lots of different brands, but I tend to prefer the Sony ones for the soft outside cases. I haven't had any other brands break (TDK, Maxell, Panasonic, etc), it's just that the outside cases get really scuffed up and would break if you dropped them.

• 4 weeks later...

Now some video footage of this would make an extremely welcome addition to the gallery !!!

I don't have a video camera - otherwise I'd be launching discs from a great hight sooner than you can say "ipod"! Although the comparison with portable HD units isn't really a fair one - there's no way I'd drive over my nh900! ;)

I can't believe you lot actually throw your MDs about the place! I've never once had to demonstrate how durable an MD disc is, because people round here can see it's encased in plastic anyway.

As loyal fans of the MD medium, I strongly advise you show it a little more respect. :rolleyes:

As far as MD disc problems, I've only ever had one MD go bust on me (and that was an official sony one), and that was in the very first multipack of MDs I bought way back when I had an MZ-R700 :wacko: No matter how many times I tried to clear it, it just wouldn't have any of it. Then much later when I got my MDLP hifi, I popped it in there and it formatted it successfully.

I now use that very disc to store my linkin park albums in HiMD format :P