New MZ-N10 or another MZ-N1?

Rate this topic

zxon

I've loved using the MD format for quite some time. I have...

MZ-R70 - bought it ages ago, a bit battered but still works perfectly. Pity it's limited to SP though.

MZ-N1 - wonderful piece of kit - Net.MD and LP2/4 - but it's knackered now

CMT-CP500MD - my trusty little MD HiFi which does more than I want it to!

Anyway... My MZ-N1 had kicked the bucket quite a long time ago and, during that time, I've been trying out the portable MP3 format. First of all I tried MP3 CDs but that made me have to burn a whole new CD in order to play a new song, so I had to wait until I had about 100+ new songs before making the process worthwhile!! Then I got myself a 1Gb portable MP3 player, which was pretty good but the sound output wasn't really up to scratch and unfortunately I had to remove songs I liked in order to fit new ones on!

Now this got me thinking... I'd been using the MD format for quite some time. I may as well continue using it since I have many of my favourite songs on MD LP4 already and then I have the added bonus of being able to pop them into the HiFi too.

Now getting to the point. I want a new MD player! I don't want to get into this HDMD stuff. I just want a Net.MD player that supports what I have. I've read up on the MZ-N10 and think it's pretty nifty but I'm not too sure whether I want to fork out up to £150 for one. At the same time, I'd used an MZ-N1 for so long that I'm comfortable with it, so I'm not sure whether I should just get another one (which would work out cheaper than getting an MZ-N10, although transfer times are cut in half!).

Can anyone point out any reasons why the MZ-N10 would be more suited to my needs than another MZ-N1? Please no "Get this one because it looks nicer" posts. Testimonies from people who have actually OWNED both of these players would be really appreciated too.

Many thanks in advance!

i'd be getting a himd regardless. both of these models are getting on & have had problems, the recording head issue with the n1 & the lion battery in the n10. the repair costs for older models are a scandal imo.

there is significant compatibility between the newer models & your preexisting equipment, search for rh10 & rh910 reviews on here for more info.

i'd be getting a himd regardless. both of these models are getting on & have had problems, the recording head issue with the n1 & the lion battery in the n10. the repair costs for older models are a scandal imo.

Hey, could u pls say some more or give me a link for the recording head issue.

I'm also thinking buying a N10 or N1

Thank you tongue.gif

there is significant compatibility between the newer models & your preexisting equipment, search for rh10 & rh910 reviews on here for more info.

That's a pity, I remember them being really good for their time, and that wasn't too long ago either. You're right, as well, about the repair costs. I went to my local Sony Centre and they estimated £250 to repair my MZ-N1, and that's how much I paid for it in the first place!!!

Are you saying that I should just go for a HiMD player because they support what I want and provide a little extra, just in case I need it? I've had a look at those two players and they really do look nice. I was pondering the MZ-N10 for £150 at my local Sony Store, but I could get one of these for pretty much the same price on amazon.co.uk. What's the major difference between these two though? All I could summise from the info on minidisc.org is that the rh10 has a slightly longer battery life than the rh910, and the screens between the two are slightly different. Is there something I'm missing?

Also, am I right in thinking that HiMD discs don't support LP2/4 but the player DOES support it for playback and recording (with the appropriate MDs)? Do these players connect to a PC with a cradle like the N1 and N10 do? Plus what're the transfer speeds in relation to the older models I'm considering? E.g. if the N1 is 32x and N10 is 64x, what're these new models?

You didn't like the FLASH MP3 player because it couldn't hold enough music. The HiMD hold a lot more, and you can use multiple disks. Thats one reason.

HiMD supports playback of your existing SP/LP2/LP4 recordings.

The MD sound quality is still good on the new units. Even better with PCM instead of SP if you want.

The charges via USB and uses a standard USB connection/cable.

MP3 support is useful. Sometimes you can only get certain tracks as MP3 and transcoding to ATRAC will hurt the SQ. If you don't have to do that, that has to be a bonus.

You'll get a warranty on a new MZ-N10

I've only got a NH700. One thing I really like is the jog wheel. I miss not having a backlight though.

Edited by Sparky191

Hey, could u pls say some more or give me a link for the recording head issue.

I'm also thinking buying a N10 or N1

Thank you tongue.gif

Hi!

Unfortunately the recording head problem could raise its head also with the MZ-N10.

The inner design is almost the same. The same failure... I don't know the inner design of the NH1, but I fear they are similar.

Think twice before getting that stuff.

Sony made a colossal mistake with its customer care politics. They did a bad design (and still they follow to build new units with the same failure) and they leave their customers in trouble.

The ribbon cable crack is very often by the N1 units. The N10 units recording head-design is almost the same as of the N1. ==> this will crack often as well.

Sony services change only the whole optics, which costs almost the same as a new unit.

The ribbon cable alone costs about 1 dollar. Maybe 2... They dont change it separately.

My N1 units recording capability "died" after 2 years of use.

The unit costed a huge amount of money...

Now, I'm alone with my half-dead unit (actually, not alone, tons of sad sony users have the same problem...).

See details in NetMD-topics:

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=4712

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=11427

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=12038

I loved my N1 very much, I think HiMD is also sympathetic and I shed tears to leave the "brand" sony, but never ever.

In my opinion they just don't care their customers.

If Sony would give 5 years of guaranty, and a whole bunch of apologize for cheating me, I would maybe try the new HiMD portables...

But I think I chase a dream... LOL

Regards!

If Sony would give 5 years of guaranty

That is a very good idea, or even better just make the units higher quality.

I had to send mine (also MZ-N1) in for 4 times (or at least parts of it):

3 times because of the ribbon cable, at least i guess, and 2 times because the remote didn't work properly. After the warranty was gone It broke more and more.

Crazy me anyways bought an MZ-NH1, since I could not find an alternative which suits my need altough I am using it mainly as a playback unit.

which might also be due the fact I am still hoping for some decks and car units.

Are you listen, Sony?

SS = Silly Sony

Edited by Hironiemus

That is a very good idea, or even better just make the units higher quality.

I had to send mine (also MZ-N1) in for 4 times (or at least parts of it):

3 times because of the ribbon cable, at least i guess, and 2 times because the remote didn't work properly. After the warranty was gone It broke more and more.

Crazy me anyways bought an MZ-NH1, since I could not find an alternative which suits my need altough I am using it mainly as a playback unit.

which might also be due the fact I am still hoping for some decks and car units.

Are you listen, Sony?

SS = Silly Sony

What modern units don't have the ribbon cable problem?

What ARE the differences between the RH10 and RH910? I can't see much difference at all. Also, I noticed that the RH10 has a really bad remote. If I were to get a different remote (in particular, model RM-MC35ELK) will it work completely with this MD player/recorder?

What ARE the differences between the RH10 and RH910? I can't see much difference at all. Also, I noticed that the RH10 has a really bad remote. If I were to get a different remote (in particular, model RM-MC35ELK) will it work completely with this MD player/recorder?

Please use the search utility for further details regarding the RH10 and RH910; there are various threads within the forum that explain the technical difference and regional accessories for the units in question. For starters, I would suggest that you review our pictorials for RH10 ~ only the Japanese edition comes bundled with color coded RM-MC35ELK remote; and all recent remotes (such as MC55ELK, MC40ELK, MC38ELK, MC35ELK ... ) works just fine with the RH10. If you need further details regarding remotes, please refer to our Sony LCD Remote Guide.

If I remember correctly, the N920 incorporates a digital amp; otherwise it's identical to N910.

Yes, it is the digital amp in the 920 that differentiates it from the 910. I use to own an mz-n10 and considered then and now that going to a n920 as an upgrade. The ability to swap batteries rather than put on a double A battery pack to extend the play/recording time is more important to me. I sometimes wear suits and the little screw things in the battery pack would occasionally snag in my pocket. That doesn't happen with a spare mimh in the pocket.

There aren't many differences between the RH10 and RH910 really. I managed to get some info from minidisco, here are all the differences (apparently)...

Display...

RH10 - 6 Line Organic EL

RH910 - 5 Line LCD

Casing...

RH10 - Aluminium Lid

RH910 - Plastic (I think)

Remote...

RH10 - Included (albeit a crap one)

RH910 - Not included, according to the site.

Battery Life...

RH10 - < 33 hrs

RH910 - <34.5 hrs

Like I thought... not much difference. huh.gif

Okies I've decided I'm going to get the RH10 but I really want it in blue. I'm sure that I've heard from someone that the only way you can get it in that colour is if I got it from Japan. So I have more questions?

Has anyone bought one from there?

How much did it come to?

Is there an english translation in the manual?

Does the player support UKEnglish just as well as a european RH10? *

The software? English is it?

* This is really important to me as I don't want my track names to look all funny on the player's screen.

Edited by zxon

a number of ppl here on MDCF have bought their Japanese import from buyfromjapan, an e-bay seller that is very reliable (I bought my RM-MC40ELK remote from him). At the moment (when I was writing this) he has only got a black RH10's for sale, but just check his e-bay store (follow the link I provided) from time to time, as I'm sure the colored ones will soon pop up again

as I was typing this, the blue RH10 has just popped up again, for $299 indeed

How much did it come to?

I believe they are $299 + shipping (it also includes the color matched LCD remote and charging stand which you do not get with a N-Am/European version)... perhaps you could find them for less, but you know you can trust this seller

I believe he ships it with an English manual, and the manual could always be found on the net I guess

Does the player support UKEnglish just as well as a european RH10?

yep, no problem... and if he doesn't include instructions how to change the settings, just search these forums, as Ishiyoshi has written down these a number of times already

the software is simply SonicStage an SimpleBurner and they aren't related to the hardware used at all, so you could just install SS3.2 and SB2.0 from the links provided in these forums... even now, before you buy it, just to get the hang of it, so you can start from the moment you get your acquisition

hope this helps

Many thanks for the quick response. I have only one more problem... I live in the UK. This thing charges through the USB port does it not? If not, dya think a UK compatible plug will be provided? If no, would my MZ-N1 charger do the trick?

I'm gonna ask the seller these questions too. biggrin.gif

Many thanks for the quick response. I have only one more problem... I live in the UK. This thing charges through the USB port does it not? If not, dya think a UK compatible plug will be provided? If no, would my MZ-N1 charger do the trick?

I believe he includes the correct adapter... about the old charger, I dunno... I guess you should compare all specifications

I hope all the blue ones don't go before I get back home from work. I'm at work right now and the admin restrictions don't allow me to log into ebay (but it does let me view auctions though).

Will my .co.uk login work with this site or will i have to sign up again dya think? I honestly don't know because of the above reason. Also, how long did it take for delivery for you guys in the USA? I'd imagine it'd be similar to the UK too.

The price is about £30 more than if i were to get one from, say, amazon.co.uk (£155), including the shipping. But I would imagine that would be worth it as its the colour I want and it comes with cradle and a decent remote. If I were to get one from amazon, it would have to be black, have no cradle, and then I'd have to fork out another £20-30 for a decent remote anyway.

Also, how long did it take for delivery for you guys in the USA? I'd imagine it'd be similar to the UK too.

don't worry... he mostly has a bunch of players (once an auction ends, he puts up another one) and all colors keep returning, so no problem

I live in Belgium and shipping the RM-MC40ELK remote took about 5 days (and was insured and trackable)

I dunno if I understood the login part correctly, but I guess your e-bay login is the same whether you use a home or work connection and even whether you use e-bay worldwide, uk, ...

*edit: an RM-MC40ELK remote (the best one to get) woud cost another $75 so the Japanese import won't cost too much I guess... and you get the color you want and the extras

Well the remote that comes with the JAP one seems more than suitable for what I want. What I meant by logging in is that I'm not sure if my login for ebay.co.uk would work with worldwide versions of ebay (ebay.com, ebay.co.de etc.). I suppose that's not a problem, just so long as I can use the same paypal account, which I can only assume won't be a problem.

What I meant by logging in is that I'm not sure if my login for ebay.co.uk would work with worldwide versions of ebay (ebay.com, ebay.co.de etc.).

I frequently switch between .be and .com so I guess it will be ok

Cool... and I've just noticed that the item should take 3-5 working days to deliver. I'm gonna buy it as soon as I get home! smile.gif Should expect it, at the latest, next Friday smile.gif I'll keep you all updated smile.gif

And many thanks to everyone who has helped me on this. I originally was gonna get a £150 MZ-N10 from the Sony Centre in town, but parting with <>£30 more gets me a MUCH newer, better and nicer looking model smile.gif

I think i speak for anyone that chipped in... glad to have helped laugh.gif and do let us know and if you should have the possibility... do post a revew/ pictorial when you have got it... we've seen quite some black ones, but the blue one is more rare

Okies I've decided I'm going to get the RH10 but I really want it in blue. I'm sure that I've heard from someone that the only way you can get it in that colour is if I got it from Japan. So I have more questions?

How much did it come to?

Does the player support UKEnglish just as well as a european RH10? *

* This is really important to me as I don't want my track names to look all funny on the player's screen.

Thank you Volta for providing zxon an in-depth information.

@zxon:

1) Please refer to the 9th post of my blue MZ-RH10 Pictorial for "Language Settings" instruction.

2) Just in case you need a copy of the English manual -please click here -

3) Please note: All Japanese RH10 comes bundled with original Sony worldwide AC Adaptor.

The item has officially been bought and paid for! You'll see on the auction that he's only got 9 left now smile.gif

Thanks again to everyone, especially Low Volta. The thread started off a little slow but very soon it really caught up speed! Quick replies, friendly words. I'll help out by posting a review if required.

Low Volta: you say that blue ones are rare? Not bad! I saw a whole bunch of photos of the blue one on here somewhere and I just fell in love with it! Damn it's gonna come in handy for recording my band practices.

well, as I said, glad to have helped and I guess the pics you saw are made by Ishi himself if I'm not mistaken... but any further pics and a fresh review is always welcome laugh.gif

Damn it's gonna come in handy for recording my band practices.

and if you are any good biggrin.gif we would always welcome some fragments posted in the gallery section... hope to read/hear more of you here on MDCF in the future

well, as I said, glad to have helped and I guess the pics you saw are made by Ishi himself if I'm not mistaken...

Errm yes, I only just realised that after I posted the message. I went hunting for the pics again and then noticed a familiar avatar next to the photos (That brown thing that looks like a mouldy spongebob squarepants, which seems to be popular in japan for some reason).

and if you are any good biggrin.gif we would always welcome some fragments posted in the gallery section... hope to read/hear more of you here on MDCF in the future

As a matter of fact, I've just come back from a practice. I couldn't buy the player as soon as I got home cos our lass was there and she'd kill me if she found out I got it blink.giflaugh.gif If you want to hear some samples, click here to visit our site. Of course, I'll see if I can post any samples in the appropriate thread on these forums in the future.

haha, the g-friend (or wife) not understanding the MD focus... I guess we all know that one...

I've just checked out your band's site (well the downloads section and profiles anyway... I like to know who I'm helping laugh.gif) and you sound pretty decent (which could be considered a big compliment, as I'm actually more into the harder stuff myself) and i like the web/music-creative combo... hope you get along with your new purchase and let us all in on some repitition secrets wink.gif ... BTW, if you know someone who can solder, greenmachine has posted some brilliant easy DIY instructions for MD-suited mics (just see my signature) so you can capture live performances aswell

Just to re-iterate what everyone else here has said Buyfromjapan is a great seller I have had several purchases from him and all have been faultless transactions.

His shipping is very fast - I was staying in the UK with relatives one time and he shipped me an item from Japan on Wednesday night and on Friday morning it was on my door (2 days!). On average though it takes about 4-5 days for shipping to europe.

All the players come with Japanese versions of SS and Simple Burner on the original discs but he also includes a disc with english versions of the software and a cd containing english manuals in pdf format.

As has been mentioned the adaptor is 100-240V input so you only need a UK 3-pin adaptor which he will also include free of charge.

His shipping is very fast - I was staying in the UK with relatives one time and he shipped me an item from Japan on Wednesday night and on Friday morning it was on my door (2 days!).

Brilliant! I paid for the item late friday / early saturday at about 12:20am, and at 1pm on saturday he sent me an email saying that the item had been shipped!! Just under 13 hours! I was amazed!! Could very well even arrive tomorrow morning. Ya never know!

Hell, the sooner the better if you ask me! laugh.gif

Just had a thought... One of the other reasons why I'm buying from japan is because the volume output is louder. I remember reading somewhere here about there being a reason why european models are quieter than japanese ones, but I can't remember it (nor can i find the specific post). Can anyone endulge me?