Problem win MZ-NH900

Rate this topic

Coolpix

i just bought a MZ-NH900 and i have a problem. When i insert any MD (hi-md or md) i cant transfer any song to ir because he says that its protected. I check the MD and it isnt and using a piece of adhesive tape in holes of MD and it work with it.

this happen with all of my MD and Hi-MD discs.

Edited by Coolpix

i just bought a MZ-NH900 and i have a problem. When i insert any MD (hi-md or md) i cant transfer any song to ir because he says that its protected. I check the MD and it isnt and using a piece of adhesive tape in holes of MD and it work with it.

this happen with all of my MD and Hi-MD discs.

Is this a new unit? I have that problem w/ my unit which is about a year old.

no, i bought it for last christmas. But why works with a piece of tape? Could u fix it?

Some people were able to get theirs to work by putting a piece of tape over the "copy protection" holes on the bottom of the MD (directly under the sliding copy protection tab). That did not work for me. I guess the problem is that the copy protection sensors in the MD unti itself (2 little metal prongs) are not reaching the actual MD to sense that copy protection is off, so it thinks everything is copy protected.

I've heard of enough people having this problem, specifically with the 900, to believe that this is a manufacturing defect.

Yours may be under warranty still.

If I had more time in my life, perhaps I'd organize a class-action lawsuit.

• 1 month later...

Update (took some time...):

After my first visit at Sony Netherlands I received a letter that they solved the problem and that I could pick up the MZ-NH900.

When I picked it up they told me that they couldn't find any skips during their own recording with the unit, so it wasn't repaired at all. While I wasn't satisfied with that answer they called the engineer who had worked with the unit at Sony. He told he hadn't could find anything and in his opinion the unit was OK.

They offered me 2 HI-MD 1 GB discs for the time it had cost. Maybe my discs weren't OK, they said... :(

Off I went and I checked the unit at home.

Same problem, several skips during several tracks and again no possibilities to upload those tracks with SonicStage.

I brought the unit back to Sony and I gave them some of my discs with the skips during the recordings. I even gave me my microphones and my battery-box to test it.

I demanded that they would find a solution, my unit was brandnew and I never ever made a perfect recording with it...

Today I received a letter that they can't repair the unit and they offered me a MZ-RH10 as a replacement for the MZ-NH900. Although I liked my MZ-NH900 I think don't have any choice and I decided to choose for the RH10.

Question: Does the RH10 use the same batteries as the NH900?

If not, I do have some gumstick batteries for sale....

Today I received a letter that they can't repair the unit and they offered me a MZ-RH10 as a replacement for the MZ-NH900. Although I liked my MZ-NH900 I think don't have any choice and I decided to choose for the RH10.

Question: Does the RH10 use the same batteries as the NH900?

If not, I do have some gumstick batteries for sale....

You're getting a GREAT DEAL!! Maybe I should "damage" my RH900 :lol:

Anyway, they both use the same gumsticks, so you are in luck. different AA attachments though.

You're getting a GREAT DEAL!! Maybe I should "damage" my RH900 :lol:

Anyway, they both use the same gumsticks, so you are in luck. different AA attachments though.

As far as the gumstick batteries, I think the NH900 comes with 10wm and RH10 comes with 14wm... At least that is how my two units were when I got them.

Either will work fine, though the 14wm may last a bit longer.

OK, thanks for the answers, I don't have any gumsticks for sale anymore... ;)

I only have to wait a couple of weeks before I will receive the RH10, Sony have to pick it up somewhere, they don't have it on stock...

Unfortunately, during those weeks I should have been recording some concerts in the USA, which is not possible now... :(

I thought I told already that Sony don't know what the problem is.

I told them about the know issues (optical position of the laser) on some of the NH900's, mentioned on the first pages of this thread, but they can't confirm that's the problem and they surely can't repair it, probably because they don't know what to repair....

But if I hear something new from Sony, I'll keep you informed.

Edit: Now I see I used the wrong topic for my update :unsure:

More info about the problems I (and other people) have had with drop-outs during recording with the NH900 can be found in this topic.

Edited by MadMaster