what do you recomend?

Rate this topic

ZombieLife

So i'm new to minidisk, I want to start recording shows, as in small punk venues and mabey some large concerts but mostly small, vary loud, 5 feet from the band, shows. I have abought $600 bucks to spend and i would like to get some sugestions on witch units and mics to get. i want good (non distorted) sound and lots of options with ease of use. I have been looking for 2 weeks but i just don't want to get something then wish i had got a diffrent model a month later. help, what do you have have what are the pros and cons, what type of recording do you do?

oh, and i also have been known to get drunk on nights that i go to shows so i am also a bit worred that i will fall down and smash a $400 device, so the stronger the better.

-thx

I do not really know whether any recorder would benefit from being used as landing gear for a drunk punk tongue.gif

IMHO the RH10, NH900 are still the best HiMD's out there... I personally use an NH900 (with the RM-MC40ELK, the NH1's remote) and some DIY mics/ battery box (provided by greenmachine) and you could always listen to some of my recordings in the live recordings gallery

you have to perform a number of steps within the menus to set manual rec levels, but you can do that before the show and once in that mode, you can adjust levels on the fly... with punk (and any loud music), I would definitely recommend a battery box, low sensitivity mics and using the line in (you can check my setup, which is mainly intended for loud(er) music as well even though my live rec gallery doesn't show it yet, in this thread)

*edit: unless you want to transfer all recordings in realtime to your PC, you have no other option as Sony's HiMD models...

Edited by The Low Volta

The NH700 or NHF800 are also good units. No need to carry the extra battery pod that goes with the NH900 since it takes a regular AA battery directly in the unit.

For $600 get an MD unit for around $200, get the RM-MC40ELK lighted remote for $75, spend $200 on some excellent small omni microphones from www.core-sound.com or www.soundprofessionals.com, and get an attenuator ($7) from Radio Shack. If you don't think punk-rock sounds amazing with that setup--and it will--then get a battery box with the $$ you have left.

Volta is right--take some care of the MD unit. It's not made to be abused.

thanks for the help,

i orderd

=====

Sony MZ-RH10

SoundPro SP-CMC-2A Deluxe Cardioid Stereo Microphones

SoundPro SP-PREAMP

and i don't "plan" on getting drunk and smashing it but sometimes things happen smile.gif on friday i dot super drunk and lost my USB key (thats $180 bucks out the window & 2 gigs of music i can't get back) Life rules! j/k

You don't need the preamp. The preamp is for boosting quiet sounds, which is definitely not your problem with punk shows.

A battery box provides power to the microphones so they can handle louder and quieter sounds. A preamp boosts the signal coming through the microphone. Punk needs no boosting. The SP Preamp includes battery-box circuitry, but it's an expensive way to get it.

Personally, I haven't found much need for a battery box. An attenuator (Radio Shack Headphone Volume Control, Maplin VC-1) will cut the signal enough to suit the MD's built-in mic preamp unless you are trying to record something deafening. Mic-->attenuator-->mic-in works for 90 percent of loud club shows. For the loudest shows, mic-->battery box-->line-in is the way to go. A preamp won't help.

SoundPros has a 30-day guarantee, so you can send back the preamp.

You've already ordered, but the MZ10 and 100 seem like a pretty good bargain considering they come with a decent mic and headphones, as well as Mac capability.

For me though I would go after an MZ-NH1 or 900, NH1 is very close to indestructable, just don't dunk it in the ocean.

so i should use a battery box but not a preamp, but preamp is that same as a battery box? because thats what i was lead to think. will it do the samething or will i get shit for sound? can i keep the preamp and get a attenuator will that kick alot of ass or no?

sorry i'm vary new to this stuff, all the help is much wanted. All i care abought in the end is good recordings.

--and if a preamp is for quiet recordings thats ok, i can still keep it because i also plan on recording ppl that go to my art gallary and talk abought my paintings when i'm not present. Going to present a show abought opinions.

A preamp boosts the signal coming through the microphone. Punk needs no boosting. The SP Preamp includes battery-box circuitry, but it's an expensive way to get it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you boost a microphone signal doesn't it boost everything that it picks up, even interference and line noise (hissing, crackling etc.)?