SonicStage -- R.I.P -- 'CONNECT Player' is born.

Christopher

I imagine it would be the same for Sony or Creative if they were controlling the market. The giant always gets the publicity.

Sony is the giant here. Problem: Sony is obviously incapable to properly market their products.

Had Sony marketed the Minidisc the same way Apple had marketed the iPod,

Minidisc would possibly rule the portable player market.

But when was the last time, anyone has seen a decent ad in a big newspaper or a tv-spot promoting MD?

Apple's marketing was great, and I'm sure a big reason it got so popular so fast. But, I still think there's more components than just marketing involved. The product itself has to deliver what consumers are looking for. By the time hdd players got popular, the concept of MD was not very practical to be comparing to jukeboxes. I don't know if good Sony marketing would've changed things that much to the point where they get most of the market. It's still apples and oranges, and removable and recordable media is not what the typical consumer was looking for then. Apple hit the market at the prime time, right when the concept of mp3 jukeboxes was starting to become a popular concept.

Sony is the giant here. Problem: Sony is obviously incapable to properly market their products.

Had Sony marketed the Minidisc the same way Apple had marketed the iPod,

Minidisc would possibly rule the portable player market.

But when was the last time, anyone has seen a decent ad in a big newspaper or a tv-spot promoting MD?

You've reason. The people've forgotten MD and Hi-MD and don't read well catalogues/brochures of MD and Hi-MD! iPod speaks too much!

• 2 weeks later...

"What's an iPod mini? Never heard of it!"

Sony's finally getting the hang of things in the digital music world (at least in terms of mimicking Apple).

By the way, I LOATHED SonicStage. Worst POS ever! But now we've got some iTunes competition, I hope! Hopefully also without stuff like the iTunesHelper.exe and iPodsomethingorother.exe that run in Windows' background. Also, I like how it seems that there's a nice little playlist (hopefully like the iTunes Party Shuffle) in the bottom lefthand corner. And to think I was about to invest in an iPod!

Oh, and on a final note did anyone notice that the other audio player in that Networking picture is not quite a VAIO Pocket? What is it? Is it new? I'm curious!!!

Edited by ableground

To me it did matter where my wrongly placed post had gone to although, I didn't know that there was alreay a thread for my laments. Thank you for that info.

I too will hate to see my beloved MDs discontinued. In one of the lost messages I suggested collecting the units available on ebay so that we can have spares for years to com.

My apologies señor Volta for my transgression. I'll try not to do it again.

Am I wrong in guessing that all that editing earlier was a little request from sony? Sony announces the launch of new and better software and people just use it as a chance to have a good moan :wacko: .

I e-mailed connect europe to see if my MZ-NH900 would be supported by the new connect player. Here is the reply:

"Although the new C2 Client is likely to support some legacy devices by the

middle of next year, the list of devices to be supported at the moment is

unknown. If you were however to buy a new Aura device this would also work

along side your other player with SonicStage 3.2 or later."

unknown."

Nice to see some comprehensive product testing going on then.... :blink:

I have the same device so it would be nice to know.

"If you were however to buy a new Aura device this would also work

along side your other player with SonicStage 3.2 or later.""

Sorry for appearing ignorant but what is an Aura device? Is this a new product range or do they mean any audio device?

Nice to see some comprehensive product testing going on then.... :blink:

I have the same device so it would be nice to know.

Sorry for appearing ignorant but what is an Aura device? Is this a new product range or do they mean any audio device?

If I remember correctly, Aura is a codename for the upcoming Network Walkman.

unknown. If you were however to buy a new Aura device this would also work

along side your other player with SonicStage 3.2 or later."

Do you think the most recent line of network walkmans and/or the latest network hi-md's are considered 'legacy devices'? I sure hope my nw-e407 will be supported... and that connect player lives up to it's hype.

I was just reading through some reviews of players on Audiocubes,

this review seems to talk about the Connect player with an MD unit:

http://www.audiocubes.com/product_reviews_...?reviews_id=915

Kind of vague, but seems like he's talking about the Connect player in

the middle of it.

"Sonic Stage has a bad rep, and the latest version of Connect is no exception."

Maybe an indication?

I was just reading through some reviews of players on Audiocubes,

this review seems to talk about the Connect player with an MD unit:

http://www.audiocubes.com/product_reviews_...?reviews_id=915

Kind of vague, but seems like he's talking about the Connect player in

the middle of it.

"Sonic Stage has a bad rep, and the latest version of Connect is no exception."

Maybe an indication?

I believe the reviewer meant to say SonicStage 3.2 as the latest version of SonicStage employed by Connect Music Service. Please note that the new "CONNECT" Player is not available yet.

I tried buying an album from the Connect music store with my current Sonic Stage 3.2 installation, and I received a pop-up message saying that I was still using an old version of Connect Player and I should download the new version...or else I would not be able to burn purchased titles. [i had purchsed a couple of songs from the Connect store a couple of days before this without incident, so they just implemented this warning.]

I haven't downloaded the software yet for fear that it will botch my current (and working) Sonic Stage and Simple Burner installations.

So I bought the same album from iTunes, burned a CD (or 3 or 4 :rolleyes: ) and put it on my MD with Simple Burner.

There is no new software. I just downloaded SonicStage 3.2 from Sony's site 48 hours ago, and it's the exact same thing as the one in the full installer. Maybe a component here or there is an older version, but I don't see anything radically different.

Sony is not Apple. Sony makes first the announcement for a fantastic new piece, than let's the audience wait a few months and finally delivers something which is still not that much better than the old stuff. To expect something on the MD/HDD market which is technically advanced only will be the cause of severe frustration. :blink::P

I mean, how many versions did Sonistage need until it became (almost) usable - not to speak of advanced or not so advanced features at all like searching for MP3 tags for songs not ripped straight from CD by Sonicstage and it still has the stupid delete function that if you delete music from the player it will be deleted on the computer as well.....

While iTunes set a worldwide trend with Podcasts and now with selling videos Stonicstage still doesnt deliver basic functions the consumers want. If the new Connect software is not a _big_ step ahead it will have a severe impact on the sales of _all_ ATRAC/MP3 models manufactured by Sony. You just have to read comments on Sony players in computer forums or comments at Amazon.com where "normal" users write about their struggle with Sonicstage....

Edited by kamui