SonicStage -- R.I.P -- 'CONNECT Player' is born.

Christopher

Breaking news from ATRACLife Colloquium -- Sony has released a new lineup of harddrive and flash units, but amongst the surprise is the notice of a new software line and the discontinuance of Sonicstage. Amazing.

I present to you, the new 'Connect Player':

[attachmentid=915][attachmentid=916]

The "Connect Player" incorporates a new and improved user interface that features a simple 'drag and drop' function for easy transfer from library to player. "Connect Player" supports the new functions within Sony WALKMAN as well as providing automatic software updates and increased Codec support -- which is obviously the plethora of new ATRAC3plus bitrates that came along with the release of Sonicstage 3.2, which we covered a few weeks back.

You can see at the official Sony presentation for the new hardware and software that there is a void for Hi-MD users.

IPB Image

Whilst Minidisc is not specifically pictured, it is definitely clear from my immediate resources that the format is NOT going to be discontinued.

Regardless, from my sources Sonicstage 3.2 is the last version of Sonicstage.

post-141-1128348486_thumb.jpg

post-141-1128348503_thumb.jpg

<s>We may make out better with software specifically designed for MiniDisc units. Wouldn't that be nice instead of one all encompassing online music store, uploading tool and music file player all thrown in together. Take like a Linux approach and make a small program that does only what is needed, instead of everything.

Maybe I'm just a foolish optimist. The connect player looks alright, but...I'm hoping Sony's got, or is putting together, a software tool designed specifically for MiniDisc units.</s>

if it wasnt for those icons in the upper right corner i would have sworn that it was a mac app tongue.gif

hmm, i have a feel that the md will be moved into the realm of pro music more and more. this including simpler and simpler software to get ones recordings off the unit but no support for people that want to use it as a dap outside of pcm and maybe atrac home recordings.

ie, this to stop the music hardware section and the electronics section of sony from competeing for marketshare in the same area.

pervert.

ROTFL!

But seriously, Sonicstage isn't that bad.

Usability, stability and Codec-quality improved considerably since 2.0

and 3.1/3.2 could be considered mature and quite bug-free.

Didn't had any crashes or data losses with these.

@Kurisu: Looks good I say.

But since it is a new Software, we have possibly to go through the same bug-fests and crashes, we had with SonicStage 2.0 and earlier.

Any words about Linux?

I want to get rid of Windows.

I don't like this. If only the flash and HDD players are supported, how are you going to use the software with the PSP? I don't get it.

Even if Hi-MD dies, that doesn't worry me. I'll still have the only affordable hi-fi digital recorder in the market. Let everyone use their players. I'll be storing parts of my life in digital format for the future generations.

<s>I just hope they hadn't left MD out for the fun of it.</s> I mean, unless it's a new format that MD doesn't support, anything that player can encode and transfer through USB should be playable on it. <s>They better include support for it.</s>

I don't like this. If only the flash and HDD players are supported, how are you going to use the software with the PSP? I don't get it.

I've got a psp and it acts like a removeable disk when connected to usb. They will use the connect player for transferring music to the psp. That's what you can currently do with ss 3.2

Sorry to say, but it is a pitty for all the new 2nd Gen MD users, if Sony bring out some new devices in like another month or so, that can use this new CONNECT PLAYER, and can record n stuff...

Maybe they are still working on the details of the MD part. It makes a lot of sense:

In these times you shouldn't wait throwing your stuff on the market; but also they

didn't wanted to give away another half finished program. Why else would they have

named it different? Too many people hearing the word "Sonicstage" think negative

of it. You can't get rid of it anymore (sad but probably the same with MD). So they

developed the MD part at last: The last version works stable enough to work with.

Better give Sony the time to come out an excellent MD program. Isn't that what you

all want? I'm sure we get it.

im guessing that they are trying to more directly link the tought of the program with the tought of the online music store.

with the sonicstage name there is no link in the name to the connect music store. but with the name connect player its a more direct link. just like itunes and itunes music store are basicly the program and the service and when thinking of itunes you may well end up thinking about both.

i wonder if not they will start to label all their connect enabled products as so and so the customers know that with a computer running the connect player and connect enabled products from sony you will be able to access content from the connect store on all of the products.

basicly they are uniting all their electronics and content production under one channel of access.

buy a sony brand tv and it may well have a ethernet port on the back or maybe its wifi equiped. turn it on and one of the menus will be a connect entry. select this and the tv will send out a call over the LAN to a computer running the connect player and ask for what kind of content it can supply. hell, you may even be able to order new contect via you tv and computer tongue.gif

it turns a computer with the connect player into a sentral hub of the entertainment home. but its a back end server and enabler more then a item that needs to be in the living room.

but this is all guesswork. but if they can pull it off it will be interesting to say the least. and yes i know much of it can allready be done using itunes and other apple products. but remember that sony is the brand name in home electronics. if they can get their entire brand to walk in one direction it will a tsunami to say the least.

every tv, every vcr, every playstation, every dvd player sold coming bundled with a cd containing the connect player software and the hardware being able to plug and play into a network.

want to see the latest blockbuster from the sony movie houses? no problem, its available on the connect store. want to grab a copy of the latest album on the sony record label? same place.

basicly sony can crush apple by sheer volum and the number of markets it can reach given its existing product areas.

hmm, the PSP. i want one. tryed it out the other day at some shop and man!!!

i had missed the fact that it have this small analog stick hidden below the cross pad. hell, i like that analog stick more then i like more conventional analogs as this one stays flat to my tumb while the others angle the top when pushed around so in the end i no longer have the tumb on top of the stick but to one side of it, leaving me with less control overall.

but this is as off topic as it may well get tongue.gif

Edited by hobgoblin

hmm, its kinda fun going around the diffrent tech sites and watch the apple fans come out of the woodwork to declare the sonys the most ugly players to date.

yet at the same time their latest gizmo, the ipod nano, is just a shrunken version of the original ipod. same shape, same color, only smaller size.

i realy dont get it, people where replacing their pc cases based on them being boring and gray and now a similary colored gizmo is suddenly the highest tech fashion...

reality distortion field indeed...

• 2 weeks later...

hmm, its kinda fun going around the diffrent tech sites and watch the apple fans come out of the woodwork to declare the sonys the most ugly players to date.

yet at the same time their latest gizmo, the ipod nano, is just a shrunken version of the original ipod. same shape, same color, only smaller size.

i realy dont get it, people where replacing their pc cases based on them being boring and gray and now a similary colored gizmo is suddenly the highest tech fashion...

That's what'll happen when a company can't make up it's mind on a decent design. Look at all the HDD players they've released in the last year, night and day differences in design. I also think these newest players are the least attractive of the Sony players I've seen. Oh, and there's a huge difference between shiny rounded white and dull gray/beige. Of course, comparing computer cases and small electronics is pretty silly to begin with.

before i bought my hd5, i originally had a creative nomad zen nx. i can honestly say, that i never had any problems with either the hardware or software (creative mediasource). while going from the nomad zen nx to the sony hd5 took little adjustment, the software however was a massive downgrade. the new sonicstage looks somewhat similar to the new mediasource (i.e. in terms of appearance, both have taken on a nice silver shined skin). however cosmetics isn't everything, sony, you came up with some good hardware, however your software leaves a lot to be desired. your drm strict ways must come to an end. if sony's new connect player can do half of what mediasource could do, i will pleased. (by this i mean, will they actually let you transfer songs fully onto my device and load it back onto my computer with no problems)

kil

What people find desirable is subjective. So just because you don't like it, or understand it doesn't make it a bad product, or design. If you look at HiMD there have been a lot of ugly ducklings along the way. I wouldn't say the HIMD models, with the exception of the NH1 are very pretty to look at. The're not even very user friendly. Sony make really odd moves. Like no back light, no LCD remote, DRM restrictions, no MP3 support, (hobbled MP3) support etc. etc. But I really don't see the point in lamenting a MP3 Player when this is a forum about MD. Nothing else.

I can't speak of the changes I just made to the inital post, but I removed some things. I hope that what I'm saying is clear. I've also edited some replies to this thread to reflect my changes.

Kirususan,

Was it the "small hiccup" or editorial snipping that deleted my post in this thread where I predict the discontinuation of the MD /HIMD players. all 3 post are gone ...Hmmm

I believe that Sony is being forced to get serious with the PSP to fight off Microsoft's XBox AND to re-organize its camera department to ward off Canon . The minidisc in its present configuration is never going to compete successfully with the iPod / iTunes package so it is going to be sacrificed for the good of the whole company. When Sony artists start to defect to the iTunes store in Japan in breach of their contracts, Sony has to take notice and action. - my opinion

Was it the "small hiccup" or editorial snipping that deleted my post in this thread where I predict the discontinuation of the MD /HIMD players. all 3 post are gone ...Hmmm

doesn't matter what caused it, but please remember that this is a news thread about the new connect player, not a "I can predict the end of MD/HiMD"-thread ... if you need to vent those feelings, use the search function as there are a bunch of dedicated threads for lamenting the uncertain already... this one's for important news about the new software for ppl who want to enjoy the format as long as it lasts :P

doesn't matter what caused it, but please remember that this is a news thread about the new connect player, not a "I can predict the end of MD/HiMD"-thread ... if you need to vent those feelings, use the search function as there are a bunch of dedicated threads for lamenting the uncertain already... this one's for important news about the new software for ppl who want to enjoy the format as long as it lasts :P

To me it did matter where my wrongly placed post had gone to although, I didn't know that there was alreay a thread for my laments. Thank you for that info.

I too will hate to see my beloved MDs discontinued. In one of the lost messages I suggested collecting the units available on ebay so that we can have spares for years to com.

My apologies señor Volta for my transgression. I'll try not to do it again.

no problem silence :D it's just that before the problem with the forum upgrade the mods cleaned this thread by putting all off-topic posts (all about the death of MD) in a separate thread (which disappeared as well in the forum-crash) and right after the forums are alive again it starts anew...

so silence, please read and add your ideas to this dedicated thread

and mods, feel free to clean this one up once again (including deleting my posts of course :P )

What people find desirable is subjective. So just because you don't like it, or understand it doesn't make it a bad product, or design. If you look at HiMD there have been a lot of ugly ducklings along the way. I wouldn't say the HIMD models, with the exception of the NH1 are very pretty to look at. The're not even very user friendly. Sony make really odd moves. Like no back light, no LCD remote, DRM restrictions, no MP3 support, (hobbled MP3) support etc. etc. But I really don't see the point in lamenting a MP3 Player when this is a forum about MD. Nothing else.

heh, sorry about that post. i just had to get it of my chest...

im just wondering what it is that makes every apple release get allmost frontpage press location while a creative or sony release isnt even talked about unless you go to special gadget sites...

its more an comment on people and fashion then on ipod directly...

im just wondering what it is that makes every apple release get allmost frontpage press location while a creative or sony release isnt even talked about unless you go to special gadget sites...

I imagine it would be the same for Sony or Creative if they were controlling the market. The giant always gets the publicity.

i realy dont think so, creative had hdd players out before ipod got going, but for some reason there was no detectable talk about them outside of the computer press...

heh, maybe it was the apple records vs apple computer legal stuff that helped :P

allso, it seems that some select the ipod because of the itunes software...

but then again, i have allso seen a lot more talk about apple mac, mostly ibooks, these days. its as if apple is in fashion across the board...