The only thing holding me back from Hi-MD is...

Rate this topic

Bodacious_happenings

Sony's refusal to make any 43cm hi fi separate incorporating the technology. For me listening to my music on the move is only part of it. I listen mostly at home through my component hi fi system. I'm not keen on getting these Onkyo (or however it's spelt) systems as I just want the Hi Md part.

Basically what I'm saying is: is anyone planning on releasing a separate any time soon? If not I'm gona look towards another system, like an Ipod or a Sony hard disk player.

I already have dozens of minidiscs and a minidisc separate player, just so people know I've already spent money on this format and want to stick with it if possible. I mean, its recording features are its trong point and it lets me record songs from DVDs like Tenacious D's which would be difficult to properly fade and have gapless playback using any other recording method.

Basically what I'm saying is: is anyone planning on releasing a separate any time soon?  If not I'm gona look towards another system, like an Ipod or a Sony hard disk player.

I understand your query about a full-sized HiMD deck and I know there are a LOT of ppl like you dying to give some money to sony tongue.gif

...but...

I really can't see any logic in saying

- if there isn't any possibility to play my removable HiMD-media in a fullsized high quality deck (eventhough I could "line-out" to an existing amp/hifi-setup)

- I will buy some player that doesn't even have any removable media and will only ever allow me to play through a hifi-setup by connecting to the aux/in port or by 'docking' it somewhere

just how would that improve audio-quality?

*edit: I do not mean to disrespect your opinions at all... I just simply think leaving the MD format or not stepping into the HiMD format in favor of a HDD-based player or ipod (which is your free choice of course) on the ground of not having a real HiMD deck is quite absurd as the alternatives you mention offer no better options (at this specific point) at all

Edited by The Low Volta

Sony's refusal to make any 43cm hi fi separate incorporating the technology.  For me listening to my music on the move is only part of it.  I listen mostly at home through my component hi fi system. 

Yes, I agree completely. It's not only walking with my music. I want as well to sit in my living listening to my music on MD. I would like to be able to use a remote and time-record some radio broadcast. These things can be made only with a separate.

Some bookshelf have been marketed in Japan (Sony CMT-AH10), but they avoid Europe and even the USA. I waited ages for Panasonic SC-PM57MD in 2002 but it has never been marketed in Europe (nor listed on www.minidisc.org despite my efforts).

I cannot understand why a reasonably strong demand for Hi-MD separates seems to be accounted for only in Japan.

Any hint, beside the trivial solution that I can always connect my walkman to my home amplifier?

Thks

Marcello

Edited by Marcello

I understand your query about a full-sized HiMD deck and I know there are a LOT of ppl like you dying to give some money to sony tongue.gif

...but...

I really can't see any logic in saying

- if there isn't any possibility to play my removable HiMD-media in a fullsized high quality deck (eventhough I could "line-out" to an existing amp/hifi-setup)

- I will buy some player that doesn't even have any removable media and will only ever allow me to play through a hifi-setup by connecting to the aux/in port or by 'docking' it somewhere

just how would that improve audio-quality?

*edit: I do not mean to disrespect your opinions at all... I just simply think leaving the MD format or not stepping into the HiMD format in favor of a HDD-based player or ipod (which is your free choice of course) on the ground of not having a real HiMD deck is quite absurd as the alternatives you mention offer no better options (at this specific point) at all

Aren't the most people in here saying things like "Use MD for recording otherwise get an mp3-player"?

Aren't the most people in here saying things like "Use MD for recording otherwise get an mp3-player"?

please, do not misread my post and start the MD><MP3/HDD discussion again... he is welcome to get into HDD/ipods if he really wants to, no problem at all...I just think that saying "because there is no full sized HiMD deck I will have to transfer to ipod" doesn't make any sense...IMHO

The format will never reach it's full potential without proper Hi-Fi decks.

Mmmm.......pure PCM coming through a proper amplifier and speakers.

Imagine if 2GB discs come along - 188mins PCM on 1 disc! Goodbye to my compilation CD's if I had a proper deck to play them on.....

Dreaming..... biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

depends on the urgency of your needs and the budget you can spend...

- if it's really urgent and you have some money to spend, ord the jap import RH10 and sell it again when the 3rd gen pops up

- if you can satisfy your needs without a new one at the moment, I'd wait (this is my situation, as I've got an NH900 right now but I would love the OLED :P )

I'm afraid that post probably got lost in the buggy forum upgrade/reverting to an older backup-stuff that happened but I remember something like that as well (even though here in B the 2nd gen has just arrived :lol: and some shops still sell 1st gens with "brand new from Sony"-stickers on :P )