eBay MiniDisc Related Listings

Rate this topic

Ishiyoshi

Anybody have $700-800 USD burning a hole in their pocket? There's a brand new Sony Vaio PCG-NV99M/BP laptop (rather old by laptop standards, obviously) on the Yahoo Japan Auction site:

(Google Translated) SONY VAIO NV Series PCG-NV99M/BP

The primary picture isn't very interesting, but if you look closely at the other pictures and the specs, you'll see the words "NetMD". A NetMD unit integrated into a laptop module--the PCGA-MDN1--the topic of many discussions on this board already. There is one other listing for this computer on Yahoo! Japan, but if you read closely, you'll see that it only has the floppy module.

There's also a listing for this module alone on ebay currently here: Sony pcga mdn1 mini disc drive -- this obviously is the more desirable option, assuming you could get it working. See below.

Allegedly there's a way to do a little soldering and get this working via USB on any computer by loading this driver: Vaio NetMD Driver. The hack was discussed here: (Google Translated) PCGA-MDN1 to non-Sony Notebooks, but the details seem elusive (at least to me) and the gallery links are dead. Perhaps someone with more ambition could contact someone on that forum to see if they still have the details. I would suggest that if you get as far as having the module modified, don't spend too much effort trying to get it working under Vista or Windows 7--stick with XP. You can use an older machine that wont cost you much more than the module itself, or less. That is, until you start adding things:

Imagine a computer outfitted with this thing in a custom wooden chassis and a decent sound card with optical in and out. I see something fashioned like a classic 70s stereo receiver with analog VU meters. Go for it. :)

Edited by narp

Not exactly--I knew about that one, I just had no interest because it's pre-MDLP. Supposedly the module I mention above is NetMD/MDLP-capable. Also, the possibility that you can retrofit it to standard USB is a very useful thing if you plan to roll (deal, shuffle?) your own deck, as it were.

I think you're behind the times..

http://minidisc.org/part_Sony_PCV-MX3GK.html

Edited by narp

*** Not in the Gear Browser ***

Here's a Micro Component System that I don't see in the Gear Browser:

SONY CMT-M100MD

I went through all the gear browser bookshelf systems pictures and this one is definitely not there--distinguished from the others by those 3-large control knobs on the face (thus not just a rebadge of one of the others). I found a link to the manual on sony-europe:

Sony CMT-M100MD: Micro Hi-Fi Component System Operating Instructions

It has AM/FM, Cassette, MDLP, CD. Looks to be a pretty sweet unit. MDLP isn't specifically mentioned on the specs page, but it is reflected in the operation portion of the manual and by the label on the cover.

It is also noteworthy that this unit has a capability that's not common on MD units--the ability to record to MD from the tuner.

Edited by narp

*** Not in the Gear Browser ***

Here's a Micro Component System that I don't see in the Gear Browser:

SONY CMT-M100MD

I went through all the gear browser bookshelf systems pictures and this one is definitely not there--distinguished from the others by those 3-large control knobs on the face (thus not just a rebadge of one of the others). I found a link to the manual on sony-europe:

Sony CMT-M100MD: Micro Hi-Fi Component System Operating Instructions

It has AM/FM, Cassette, MDLP, CD. Looks to be a pretty sweet unit. MDLP isn't specifically mentioned on the specs page, but it is reflected in the operation portion of the manual and by the label on the cover.

It is also noteworthy that this unit has a capability that's not common on MD units--the ability to record to MD from the tuner.

This is one (from 2002) I have often wondered about as being a really nice bookshelf unit. There are 3 on sale in the UK Ebay right now, but they seem to be keeping their value at least. They may be intended solely for 220V. Also the Tuner and Cassette portions will only provide analogue signal to the MD, but that's ok.

Well, the seller told me it would cost 75 GBP to ship to the U.S.--approximately $120.50 USD. So the total would be about $300 USD shipped. That shipping is FedEx International Express--which I don't quibble with in this case since it's such a large fragile item. However, this is essentially the Sony CMT-M333NT/M373NT but without the built-in NetMD capability (you have to have the pc-link addon which would require another find/purchase). Maybe if it were the Sony CMT-M333NT/M373NT I'd consider it, but still probably not.

*** Poor valuation ***

Starting bid $49.99 USD / Buy It Now $299.99 USD

Sony MZ-DN430--anyone? *crickets*

How about if I threw in 24-discs with pirated music? No? I'll admit the disc case is nice, but I can see why he's selling it--there's no room for the crack pipe.

I had a look at his other auctions and the rest seems mostly sanely priced--so this little glitch must be his subconscious telling him he's not ready to let it go yet.

Edited by narp

Well, the seller told me it would cost 75 GBP to ship to the U.S.--approximately $120.50 USD. So the total would be about $300 USD shipped. That shipping is FedEx International Express--which I don't quibble with in this case since it's such a large fragile item. However, this is essentially the Sony CMT-M333NT/M373NT but without the built-in NetMD capability (you have to have the pc-link addon which would require another find/purchase). Maybe if it were the Sony CMT-M333NT/M373NT I'd consider it, but still probably not.

Agree with all that, except:

1. Best way is for someone to bring it back as "luggage". Literally no way to get heavy objects here by courier.

2. Voltage problem - you really really don't want the European ones to import here, IMHO

3. I'm not so sure it's that fragile, unless not in original packing (people here have bad habits about that) I would think the most basic parcel service might do it.

It does look as if both models will record from all sources.... nice. I will add the NA model (thanks) to my wish list.

1. So is it only Canada that gets screwed on import duties?
  2. I assume I can just use a converter for the power. If not, there are other ways. Particularly with newer technology (newer than 1980), once you get past the power supply it's the same. Assuming that's the case here, you might be able to retrofit a North American power supply if you could find one with the right specs.
  3. Even if it is in the original packing, if this is a rare enough item and you want it badly enough, I would think that paying extra to have it babied would be mandatory. Then again, I'm not bogged down by Canadian import duties.
  4. All moot--since I don't really want it in this case.

Agree with all that, except:

1. Best way is for someone to bring it back as "luggage". Literally no way to get heavy objects here by courier.
  2. Voltage problem - you really really don't want the European ones to import here, IMHO
  3. I'm not so sure it's that fragile, unless not in original packing (people here have bad habits about that) I would think the most basic parcel service might do it.

It does look as if both models will record from all sources.... nice. I will add the NA model (thanks) to my wish list.

Edited by narp

Please note, that the following interpretation was gleaned from just Chapter 85 of Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States, which covers "Electrical machinery and equipment and parts thereof; sound recorders and reproducers, television image and sound recorders and reproducers, and parts and accessories of such articles".

This turns out to be a far more complicated question than I thought. My best current comprehension of the U.S. tariff on these items shows that we have no tariffs at least from the following countries: Australia, Bahrain, Canada, Chile, Israel, Jordan, Mexico, Morocco, Oman, Peru, and Singapore.

Additionally, there are 5 additional abbreviations that they listed under "free" but don't correspond to ISO country codes: A, B, C, J, and P. These denote various additional agreements that cover specific types of products and/or certain geographical areas--usually "developing countries" but also specific free-trade or trade-preference agreements.

A: Products of Countries Designated Beneficiary Developing Countries for Purposes of the Generalized System of Preferences

This has the largest list of countries that would be excluded from tariffs--but it doesn't include the U.K.

B: Automotive Products and Motor Vehicles Eligible for Special Tariff Treatment

C: Articles Eligible for Duty-Free Treatment Pursuant to the Agreement on Trade in Civil Aircraft

J: Products of Countries Designated as Beneficiary Countries for Purposes of the Andean Trade Preference Act (ATPA)

P: Dominican Republic-Central America-United States Free Trade Agreement Implementation Act

Some British colonies fall under some of these categories--but not the U.K. itself. So I really ought to take this into consideration before entering into a deal with someone in the U.K.

I'm sure you would pay import taxes and duties just the same as here.

I paid zero on the B10, heheh. What a deal!

Edited by narp

There are many many items allegedly free of tarifs. However when they enter the country they become liable to Sales tax both federal (GST) and provincial (PST) or in some cases combined (HST). So a typical scenario might be:

$10 GST

$10 PST

$5 duty on certain items only

$40 fees (depends on the customs broker).

I would be extremely surprised if it isn't exactly the same in almost any country. I won't even tell you about the c**p we got into last year trying to get someone to send us a package by FedEx whilst we were on holiday in the US. Bottom line, no way no how, and we were liable for the reverse shipment if the item was not to be destroyed.

One more possible correction--assuming I'm interpreting it right (which is by NO MEANS certain--my head hurts):

If you classify the item as an "Optical disc recorder" (not player), the duty is "Free"--irrespective of sending country (destination: U.S.), except in cases covered by Column 2 (which I have no idea what it signifies) then the tariff is 35%--which sounds like some kind of embargo-like policy, so I'm going to assume that's not going to include U.K.

[i hate how this forum assumes I want to modify a post if I reply to it too soon]

That sounds like a Canada-specific system to me. I have imported many items from the U.K.--and while the shipping has been all over the map, none of it ever included stuff like you're describing here:

There are many many items allegedly free of tariffs. However when they enter the country they become liable to Sales tax both federal (GST) and provincial (PST) or in some cases combined (HST). So a typical scenario might be:

$10 GST

$10 PST

$5 duty on certain items only

$40 fees (depends on the customs broker).

I would be extremely surprised if it isn't exactly the same in almost any country. I won't even tell you about the c**p we got into last year trying to get someone to send us a package by FedEx whilst we were on holiday in the US. Bottom line, no way no how, and we were liable for the reverse shipment if the item was not to be destroyed.

Edited by narp

Please note, that the following interpretation was gleaned from just Chapter 85 of Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States, which covers "Electrical machinery and equipment and parts thereof; sound recorders and reproducers, television image and sound recorders and reproducers, and parts and accessories of such articles".

This turns out to be a far more complicated question than I thought. My best current comprehension of the U.S. tariff on these items shows that we have no tariffs at least from the following countries: Australia, Bahrain, Canada, Chile, Israel, Jordan, Mexico, Morocco, Oman, Peru, and Singapore.

Some British colonies fall under some of these categories--but not the U.K. itself. So I really ought to take this into consideration before entering into a deal with someone in the U.K.

I had a relevant item shipped from Germany and had the sender (a private party) label it as a gift, just as a precaution. There was no problem and no tariff of any sort. I did the same thing with my MXD-D400 deck from Japan, although it's not clear that the seller was exactly a private party. In any case, they labeled it Gift and that was that. I'm not sure there would have been a tariff even without the "Gift" tag, though. I'm in the U.S.

Edited by bluecrab

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=280367728596

Just wow.. for a 5 pack Saehan that's already been defiled/opened.. can't wait to see what the ending price will be.

Besides, these look more like generic MDs to me.. I know they're rare but damn...

LOL at listing saying the words "milky white bottom"--followed by your comment about it being "defiled". Rare blank MiniDisc softcore pr0n!

The listing goes on to say that you get a sealed pack. The picture just portrays an open one for your ogling (my word, not theirs, :) )

Astounding final price--nearly 6 dollars per disc. That's about what you pay for HiMD these days.

LOL at listing saying the words "milky white bottom"--followed by your comment about it being "defiled". Rare blank MiniDisc softcore pr0n!

The listing goes on to say that you get a sealed pack. The picture just portrays an open one for your ogling (my word, not theirs, :) )

Astounding final price--nearly 6 dollars per disc. That's about what you pay for HiMD these days.

Yeah minidisc blanks are going to ridiculous amounts these days, in saying that i hope my blanks will generate a fair amount ;) after i've done some trading i'd be looking at selling on ebay.

• 3 weeks later...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=200369381506

Anyone recognize this BitClub design? Couldn't find it in the mdchannel gallery..

(why is the bid price so high.. must be a true rarity)

This bitclub has never been referenced on any website I know. Even the MdChannel gallery never mentioned it so far so yes, this bitclub is a true rarity. Funny how such a thing can be sold at such a price. Difficult to find but still. What's sure is that I'll never put so much on the table to get a blank. More than 25 GBP for a single disc is just crazy lol.

This bitclub has never been referenced on any website I know. Even the MdChannel gallery never mentioned it so far so yes, this bitclub is a true rarity. Funny how such a thing can be sold at such a price. Difficult to find but still. What's sure is that I'll never put so much on the table to get a blank. More than 25 GBP for a single disc is just crazy lol.

Teh memorex one next to it SUCKS though.. and the auction ended. Nice.. who won? :)

would you mind to post a pciture of it here (or in the disc pictorial section of the forum). I'm wondering what it looks like wihtout its shrinkwrap. I hope you ask the seller to keep the Memorex disc against free shipping lol.

DO YOU EXPECT ME TO OPEN IT????!!!

;)

of course, I'll keep it in mind.

PS: I'll have the Memorex MD as a shipping guard for the TDK! :-D

There's a blue NH700 for 16GBP (well under $30) in 2 hours here

If I didn't have 4 already I would snap it up in a heartbeat.

Lends new meaning to the phrase "look 'ere" if you read the listing all the way to the end. The standard NH700 remote is the one without display, so that removes the only possible "fault" as being irrelevant, IMO.